Here Are The System Requirements for Crysis 3

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]I know my dual LGA 2011 with 96gb of ram and 4 7990's will run this game, but I don't play games so it is a mute point.[/citation]

You couldn't use more than two 7990s anyway. Also, many dual-socket and especially quad/octo-socket CPUs aren't great for gaming because they sacrifice performance per core for sheer core count.

I know others have said it, but I'll say it anyway: you should have put "moot" where you put "mute". Putting mute there just makes you look like a liar since most people with such systems should already know the difference between mute and moot. Well, unless you're typing from a mobile phone or similar device, in which case I suppose the mistake is forgivable due to auto-correct...

G

[citation][nom]xanagu88[/nom]My body is ready[/citation]

My computer is ready :D

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
why don't game dev studios take advantage of one of the fastest components in a system, that is RAM. It's down to $1 per Gig practically, at this cost, they should thrown them in the gaming box, and optimize game engines to utilize 16 ~ 32 GB of RAM, instead of coding it all the other way around for all the slower components in the system.

[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]why don't game dev studios take advantage of one of the fastest components in a system, that is RAM. It's down to $1 per Gig practically, at this cost, they should thrown them in the gaming box, and optimize game engines to utilize 16 ~ 32 GB of RAM, instead of coding it all the other way around for all the slower components in the system.[/citation]

Just what do you expect them to do with so much RAM? Beyond that, the vast majority of gamers, regardless of the price of RAM, will still have only 2-4GB with a slowly increasing portion of 8GB and all other capacities being much rarer except maybe 3GB. Optimizing a game for a very small portion of their target audience does not seem like a good business decision.

Also, the system RAM isn't nearly as fast as the CPU, CPU cahe, GPU, and graphics memory in most important ways for gaming. The only components beaten by RAM in the main equation are usually just the storage components and those are already not important most of the time for gaming.

hannibal

Distinguished
The best part is that they really are moving on from dx9... Now they don't have to support so many code paths and they can really use new tricks... We just have to hope that there will be a game somewhere behind that engine...
Maybe Crysis 4 will allso be only 64 bit... Then "all" legacy code has finally been removed...

[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]The best part is that they really are moving on from dx9... Now they don't have to support so many code paths and they can really use new tricks... We just have to hope that there will be a game somewhere behind that engine...Maybe Crysis 4 will allso be only 64 bit... Then "all" legacy code has finally been removed...[/citation]

There are far too many 32 bit users. Maybe no 32 bit release in say one or two more Halo versions, but the next version is too soon.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I have zero interest in Crysis 3. Crysis 2 was shockingly bad compared to the original. Linear environments, no open-ended gameplay, horrendous level design, and a multiplayer that was completely unsupported. EA sucks, period. Stop giving them money.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Keep in mind that crysis 1 and 2 were not very CPU intensive (barely stresesa low end quad core)

though their GPU requirements have historicsally been greatly underestimated. For example you may get on a mission where your card that was giving you a playable 30FPS is now giving you 15FPS, completely killing the experience, or forcing you to use cheats to get through the laggy mission.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
far as I'm concerned if this is another debacle like the original crysis it'll be some years until I buy it. If these requirements are actually realistic and the game is actually properly optimized my M14x R3 should be able to run it with most the options turned up without breaking a sweat.

lp231

Splendid
Quad Core GPU?!
As in 4-way SLI or CFX?
Bawhwhahhaha

Seriously, that could be a mistake and looks like very site is just doing copy and paste.
I believe that should say quad core CPU (processor)

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]jemm[/nom]If the recommended system operating requirements is a graphics card with 1 GB Video RAM, then for Hi-Performance a 2 or 3GB single card would do the job, mean it doesn´t really need to be a SLI/CF set up., eh?[/citation]

I'd think a mid-range setup in SLI or a 680/7970 (or whatever naming convention AMD is using these days) would be fine.

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/28/max-payne-3-system-requirements-updated-new-pc-screenshots-released/

Check that out. If Max Payne 3 has the same GPU for the highest specs tested, then this is truly a scare tactic. If you can run Crysis 2 just fine on the GTX 600 and HD 7000's, then most likely you'll be able to run this just fine. SLI/Crossfire would help, I'm sure, but that's probably the only way you can max the game out. I already maxed Max Payne 3 out on the cheapest 2GB VRAM GPU and it runs great, no lag or anything. Just a guess here though, we have to wait until Febuary 2013. Happy gaming everyone!

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I'm not saying that it is in fact a console port or not, but isn't unoptimized code, thus "unnecessarily" needing more powerful hardware, the idea behind a game being console port? :)

I noticed that error too guys, but I just want to point out that (modern) GPU's have hundreds or thousands of cores. The HD 7970 for example has 2,048 shader (?) cores. I don't think one GPU could be considered 1 core, just like how multi-core CPU's aren't considered 1 core. :)

Good observation. I noticed as well how they recommended an i7 (if it isn't an error/typo that is). But +1 to you! Also here's to hoping that we'll be seeing a new highly-threaded game! :D

Hey blaz! :) Just pointing out that you probably meant HD 7990's (so you can correct/edit your post). I'm guessing that mistaken person (or just plain troll) is supposedly using Xeon's right, or can Sandy Bridge-E's be used in multi-socket configs?
I'm thinking you were pretty much kidding with that 2nd sentence in the 2nd paragraph of yours. :)

I guess they could choose to load more resources to the RAM if enough is available, but that's not to say that it would be efficient to do so. If ever you could do what AMD Gaming recommends. Using a RAMdisk... I assume that they mean installing a game on the RAMdisk, then setting it to back up when you shutdown the PC so it will load the game files to the RAMdisk on startup. Not sure if you'd have much to gain for the trouble it is (buying the software, having enough RAM, setting it up, having to maybe even uninstall if you need to replace the game with another, etc.)

G

WOW wtf is this shit dx11 only bullshit.... My gtx280's in sli are still very capable and can run latest games maxed out on 1080p.. never had any performance issues at all but now i see this, so no my pc cannot run crysis 3 even though it is capable of doing so

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I could give two craps about Crysis, as I won't be playing it but I still want to say:

"FINALLY! A GAME THAT PUSHES THE ENVELOPE AND FORCES GAMERS TO UPGRADE."

Hopefully, this will show those who "spent" money on nearly decade old POS hardware this holiday season (*cough XBox 360 cough*) what PC gaming is about. It's about the latest and greatest, the best gaming tech out there. It's about doing more with your system and about customization. Oh, and the best part is it has become so much more affordable than it used to be.

[citation][nom]sherrryyyy[/nom]WOW wtf is this shit dx11 only bullshit.... My gtx280's in sli are still very capable and can run latest games maxed out on 1080p.. never had any performance issues at all but now i see this, so no my pc cannot run crysis 3 even though it is capable of doing so[/citation]

It's called progress. Crytek released a game that isn't supporting five or six year old cards. Oh well, it's about time they got rid of such outdated code.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I'm all for better performance and better looks (optimization in general)! Clearing out old code gives it a cleaner feel, at least for me. I'm guessing though that they didn't want to (or couldn't) invest the time and money into making an alternate code path though to cater to people with older systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.