[SOLVED] High CPU temperature after changing CPU & Motherboard

Nov 23, 2020
Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded some components of my PC and I know have some temperature issue with my CPU.

Here is what I had before:
CPU: i5-6500
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A Pro
RAM: Gskill RipJaws V 8Gbx2
GPU: MSI GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+
And a SDD + HD

This is the change I made:
CPU: i5-11400F
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A Pro
RAM: Gskill RipJaws V 16Gbx2

And since then I did notice some increase in terms of CPU cooler noise.
And when looking at it more closely I see that the temperature of the CPU is rather high (I'm using HWMonitor and SpeedFan, which give about the same results)
  • At idle (10% CPU usage) I have a temperature of about 50°C (and 40% fan speed with 1000 rpm)
  • At light use (25% CPU usage) I have a temperature of about 65°C (and 50% fan speed with 1300 rpm)
  • At heavy use (70-100% CPU usage) I have a temperature of about 100°C (and 100% fan speed with 2300 rpm)
I applied thermal paste (CoolerMaster HTK-002) using the pea method a first time, but then I removed the cooler to check the issue a first time (the paste was spread except to a small corner).
The second time I tried a cross and made sure that the cooler was well in place, but the problem persists.

Would you have an idea of what it could be? I'm not sure if the temperature was as high with my previous build, but the fan was not as noisy, and I'm a bit worried.
Thanks in advance for any idea you might have!

Solution
Still using the TX3? It is rather small for a CPU with a boost profile like the i5-11400F. The stock cooler is also quite inadequate.

I suggest a larger cooler.

You might also check the stock voltage being applied by the motherboard. It may be very high, anything over 1.3 volts is probably too much.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded some components of my PC and I know have some temperature issue with my CPU.

Here is what I had before:
CPU: i5-6500
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A Pro
RAM: Gskill RipJaws V 8Gbx2
GPU: MSI GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+
And a SDD + HD

This is the change I made:
CPU: i5-11400F
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A Pro
RAM: Gskill RipJaws V 16Gbx2

And since then I did notice some increase in terms of CPU cooler noise.
And when looking at it more closely I see that the temperature of the CPU is rather high (I'm using HWMonitor and SpeedFan, which give about the same results)
  • At idle (10% CPU usage) I have a temperature of about 50°C (and 40% fan speed with 1000 rpm)
  • At light use (25% CPU usage) I have a temperature of about 65°C (and 50% fan speed with 1300 rpm)
  • At heavy use (70-100% CPU usage) I have a temperature of about 100°C (and 100% fan speed with 2300 rpm)
I applied thermal paste (CoolerMaster HTK-002) using the pea method a first time, but then I removed the cooler to check the issue a first time (the paste was spread except to a small corner).
The second time I tried a cross and made sure that the cooler was well in place, but the problem persists.

Would you have an idea of what it could be? I'm not sure if the temperature was as high with my previous build, but the fan was not as noisy, and I'm a bit worried.
Thanks in advance for any idea you might have!
Either it's mounted wrong or not enough cooler for that processor, probably not a good enough cooler.

Edit I would put the stock cooler on it if that helps then buy a better cooler.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Still using the TX3? It is rather small for a CPU with a boost profile like the i5-11400F. The stock cooler is also quite inadequate.

I suggest a larger cooler.

You might also check the stock voltage being applied by the motherboard. It may be very high, anything over 1.3 volts is probably too much.

Solution
Nov 23, 2020
Thanks to the both of you!
I still use the TX3, so that is probably it. I'll upgrade asap.

I'll also have a look at the stock voltage to see if everything is alright.

Thanks again!