May 15, 2021
Making a post about this issue was my last resort.

I built this near the end of December 2020. Here are the specs:

PSU: DeepCool DQ 850W

CPU: Intel i9-10850K

GPU: Asus TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3070

MOBO: Asus Prime Z490P

RAM: T-Force Delta 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz

SSD: Crucical 1TB P2 NVMe M.2

A couple weeks after building the PC and playing multiple games on it for an extensive amount, I began to notice the games stuttering very frequently. By stuttering I mean the game literally freezing for a split second then resuming. I managed to clip a few instances of the stutters just to give an idea:

https://www.twitch.tv/secrethandsha...ePanicBasket?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

https://www.twitch.tv/secrethandsha...ngolinPJSalt?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

https://www.twitch.tv/secrethandsha...PeoplesChamp?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

This is when I began to monitor my temps and found nothing out of the ordinary, no spikes in temperature, no overheating, CPU would reach a max of 65 when under heavy load and both GPU and CPU hover at around 35-45 at all times during games.

Below is a list of the games that I've tested so far and what I noticed in each one:

Valorant: Stuttering happens at random times and sometimes during events like round start/end, kill announcements, ace, etc. Also connection issues? never had them on my old pc.

World of Warcraft: Stuttering ALL the time! when running in cities, entering new zones, fighting monsters, you name it. I notice stuttering when an event is triggered and when nothing is happening.

CSGO: Stuttering happens randomly.

Apex Legends: Stuttered once only when I got my very first kill.

Genshin Impact: Stuttering as much as every 10 seconds.

Warzone: No stuttering yet

Witcher 3: No stuttering

Overwatch: No stuttering

Diablo 3: Events such as attacking dashing causing stutters, as well as random stutters.

Things I've tried to fix the issue:

Hardware

- Swapped GPUs with a friend of mine, I tested his 3060ti and he tested my 3070, stuttering remained on my end, no issues on his.

- Tried 1 RAM stick at a time in all slots and then purchased a new pair of 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM.

- Swapped PSU with another 850W PSU.

-Tried each one of my monitors individually (one is 144Hz while the other is 60Hz).

- Changed my SSD to NVMe 500GB.

The stuttering persisted throughout all of this.

Software

- Clean installed Windows and all my games multiple times.

- Used DDU to uninstall my graphics drivers and tried different older versions.

- Updated my graphics driver to the latest version.

- Updated BIOS and chipset driver.

- Uninstalled GeForce Experience.

- I am not using Vsync, Gsync, Freesync or raytracing.

- Turned XMP on

- Turned XMP off

- overclocked CPU

- overclocked GPU

The only things I havent replaced are the CPU, which are hard to test and considering the extensive testing they undergo during production, and the motherboard. I havent read any blogposts or watched any videos mentioning the MOBO ever being the culprit but I'm all out of luck. I've tried everything I could thing of and read through every post where people claim to have stuttering issues.

I'm at my wit's end. I've thought of using my warranty since I still have 5 months left but I don't know wtf the problem is. Is it hardware? software? malware? firmware? Somebody please help I am actually bringing myself to tears just thinking of how much I suffered with this PC. It was supposed to be finally spoiling myself for graduating from college but it's been a nightmare. My old PC NEVER had any of these problems, EVER.

Somebody please help.

:(

PS: I've also noticed my monitors flickering horizontal bars from time to time. they arent any specific color, just darker than the current brightness. Happens on both monitors, more so in games.

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it onto your Desktop. If your default download location is not your Desktop, drag it out of it's location onto the Desktop.
If we have to run Farbar more than once, refer this SS.
View: http://i.imgur.com/yUxNw0j.gif

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the Desktop.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt) on the Desktop.
The logs are large, upload them using this. No time delays/Captcha-I'm not a Robot/account/registration needed. Give us the links please.
View: https://i.imgur.com/7UiiqWr.gif

View: https://i.imgur.com/6N1gfOj.gif

Last edited:
May 15, 2021
Making a post about this issue was my last resort as I've tried everything I could think of...

I built this PC near the end of December 2020. Here are the specs:

A couple weeks after building the PC and playing multiple games on it for an extensive amount, I began to notice the games stuttering very frequently. By stuttering I mean the game literally freezing for a split second then resuming. I managed to clip a few instances of the stutters just to give an idea:

https://www.twitch.tv/secrethandsha...ePanicBasket?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

https://www.twitch.tv/secrethandsha...ngolinPJSalt?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

https://www.twitch.tv/secrethandsha...PeoplesChamp?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

This is when I began to monitor my temps and found nothing out of the ordinary, no spikes in temperature, no overheating, CPU would reach a max of 65 when under heavy load and both GPU and CPU hover at around 35-45 at all times during games.

Below is a list of the games that I've tested so far and what I noticed in each one:

-Valorant: Stuttering happens at random times and sometimes during events like round start/end, kill announcements, ace, etc. Also connection issues? never had them on my old pc.

-World of Warcraft: Stuttering ALL the time! when running in cities, entering new zones, fighting monsters, you name it. I notice stuttering when an event is triggered and when nothing is happening.

-CSGO: Stuttering happens randomly.

-Apex Legends: Stuttered once only when I got my very first kill.

-Genshin Impact: Stuttering as much as every 10 seconds.

-Warzone: No stuttering yet

-Witcher 3: No stuttering

-Overwatch: No stuttering

Diablo 3: Events such as attacking dashing causing stutters, as well as random stutters.

Hardware

- Swapped GPUs with a friend of mine, I tested his 3060ti and he tested my 3070, stuttering remained on my end, no issues on his.

- Tried 1 RAM stick at a time in all slots and then purchased a new pair of 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM.

-Tried each one of my monitors individually (one is 144Hz while the other is 60Hz).

Software

- Turned XMP on

- Turned XMP off

- overclocked CPU

- overclocked GPU

The only things I havent replaced are the CPU, which are hard to test and considering the extensive testing they undergo during production, and the motherboard. I havent read any blogposts or watched any videos mentioning the MOBO ever being the culprit but I'm all out of luck. I've tried everything I could thing of and read through every post where people claim to have stuttering issues.

I'm at my wit's end. I've thought of using my warranty since I still have 5 months left but I don't know wtf the problem is. Is it hardware? software? malware? firmware? Somebody please help I am actually bringing myself to tears just thinking of how much I suffered with this PC. It was supposed to be finally spoiling myself for graduating from college but it's been a nightmare. My old PC NEVER had any of these problems, EVER.

Somebody please help.

PS: I've also noticed my monitors flickering horizontal bars from time to time. they arent any specific color, just darker than the current brightness. Happens on both monitors, more so in games.

Making a post about this issue was my last resort.

I built this near the end of December 2020. Here are the specs:

Valorant: Stuttering happens at random times and sometimes during events like round start/end, kill announcements, ace, etc. Also connection issues? never had them on my old pc.

World of Warcraft: Stuttering ALL the time! when running in cities, entering new zones, fighting monsters, you name it. I notice stuttering when an event is triggered and when nothing is happening.

CSGO: Stuttering happens randomly.

Apex Legends: Stuttered once only when I got my very first kill.

Genshin Impact: Stuttering as much as every 10 seconds.

Warzone: No stuttering yet

Witcher 3: No stuttering

Overwatch: No stuttering

Hardware

Software

- Turned XMP on

- Turned XMP off

- overclocked CPU

- overclocked GPU

Somebody please help.

Did you install the latest management engine?

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Try these fixes. You will find you have done some. Make sure you read the comments as well.

Reactions: TommyTwoTone66

Sav89

Prominent
May 18, 2021
Kind of sounds like what I was experiencing with my old mobo. I did have some flickering as well, though. I originally thought it was my GPU, but after upgrading my mobo to an OC'able mobo, all that disappeared(I legit forgot about it entirely until now). Switching cards with your friend further confirms this, in my eyes. Doesn't rule out PSU, or something else, though.. A friend of mine once simply had a dirty PCIe slot and was getting things like you describe, and cleaning did the trick.

Okay so a few things I noticed / questions;

1. The WoW stuff looks more like lag / rubberbanding with a bit of stuttering.

2. Your PSU, while it might not be the problem right now, is a ticking time bomb. Might not be a bad Idea to replace it with a Corsair TX or RM, or Seasonic Focus plus, or prime models.

3. Have you looked at your Motherboard VRM temperatures? You can see them with Hwinfo, a program that is very extensive for logging and monitoring all kinds of information .

4. Have you tried different cables from your PC to your monitors? Different ports on the graphics card for the display cables?

5. Does the stuttering persist with and without V-sync off?

6. In windows power options advanced settings for the power plan you are using, do you have the PCIe power savings set to none?

7. Do you have the latest windows 10 updates? If so did you have problems before the latest round of updates?

8. Do you have an RGB control software running? iCUE, Asus armoury crate, stuff like that?

9. Have you tried uninstalling the CPU and repasting it?

10. Consider clean booting win10 and launching a game to see if the stuttering still happens.

May 15, 2021
Okay so a few things I noticed / questions;

1. The WoW stuff looks more like lag / rubberbanding with a bit of stuttering.

2. Your PSU, while it might not be the problem right now, is a ticking time bomb. Might not be a bad Idea to replace it with a Corsair TX or RM, or Seasonic Focus plus, or prime models.

3. Have you looked at your Motherboard VRM temperatures? You can see them with Hwinfo, a program that is very extensive for logging and monitoring all kinds of information .

4. Have you tried different cables from your PC to your monitors? Different ports on the graphics card for the display cables?

5. Does the stuttering persist with and without V-sync off?

6. In windows power options advanced settings for the power plan you are using, do you have the PCIe power savings set to none?

7. Do you have the latest windows 10 updates? If so did you have problems before the latest round of updates?

8. Do you have an RGB control software running? iCUE, Asus armoury crate, stuff like that?

9. Have you tried uninstalling the CPU and repasting it?

10. Consider clean booting win10 and launching a game to see if the stuttering still happens.

1. I experience event/action-based stuttering in almost all the games that I mentioned in my post.
  2. Ive swapped out my psu with a completely different one and the problem still remained, both gold standard.
  3. I havent paid attention to VRM temps
  4. Yes, I even bought a new DP cable and i stuttered even then. I also tried the different ports.
  5. Yes, Ive tried playing with and without vsync and the the stuttering was still there.
  6. PCIe power saving is off.
  7. I have had the problem since early january just a couple weeks after building the PC and I've always kept my windows up to date.
  8. I do not have any RGB control software installed.
  9. I have not tried that
  10. I've probably clean installed windows over 7 times, almost every time I swapped out hardware.

1. I experience event/action-based stuttering in almost all the games that I mentioned in my post.
  2. Ive swapped out my psu with a completely different one and the problem still remained, both gold standard.
  3. I havent paid attention to VRM temps
  4. Yes, I even bought a new DP cable and i stuttered even then. I also tried the different ports.
  5. Yes, Ive tried playing with and without vsync and the the stuttering was still there.
  6. PCIe power saving is off.
  7. I have had the problem since early january just a couple weeks after building the PC and I've always kept my windows up to date.
  8. I do not have any RGB control software installed.
  9. I have not tried that
  10. I've probably clean installed windows over 7 times, almost every time I swapped out hardware.
2. Like I said regardless of your current issues, keeping that PSU in that PC is a liability. Just because its efficiency is Gold rated does not mean its a well made PSU with quality parts. I am also not stating that it will damage your parts. I am just informing you of the very real possibility that it can and that it is a gamble to keep it in your PC.

3. VRMs overheating can cause stuttering issues.

10. A clean boot is not a reinstall of windows 10. A clean boot refers to turning off all non essential services and then restarting the PC so that you can eliminate other background processes as a reason for the issue. This is how you do it.

I would try to download and install a program called LatencyMon. Its a freeware that is designed to screen and log any driver or process specifically that causes unwanted lag and shows you what it is and how much lag it is causing. Unlike some other suggested programs, this one wont give you a virus. This is where to download it. This is more information on how it works and what it does.

May 15, 2021
2. Like I said regardless of your current issues, keeping that PSU in that PC is a liability. Just because its efficiency is Gold rated does not mean its a well made PSU with quality parts. I am also not stating that it will damage your parts. I am just informing you of the very real possibility that it can and that it is a gamble to keep it in your PC.

3. VRMs overheating can cause stuttering issues.

10. A clean boot is not a reinstall of windows 10. A clean boot refers to turning off all non essential services and then restarting the PC so that you can eliminate other background processes as a reason for the issue. This is how you do it.

I would try to download and install a program called LatencyMon. Its a freeware that is designed to screen and log any driver or process specifically that causes unwanted lag and shows you what it is and how much lag it is causing. Unlike some other suggested programs, this one wont give you a virus. This is where to download it. This is more information on how it works and what it does.

If you've got any references or articles regarding my current psu and why it is a bad one could you please refer me to them?

I dont think my mobo supports temperature monitoring since I cant find VRM temps on hwinfo.

I have used latencymon previously but I didnt know how to analyze the results. I will run it and post a picture of the results here.

If you've got any references or articles regarding my current psu and why it is a bad one could you please refer me to them?

I dont think my mobo supports temperature monitoring since I cant find VRM temps on hwinfo.

I have used latencymon previously but I didnt know how to analyze the results. I will run it and post a picture of the results here.
1. Not as bad as I remember, but not the best either. It will probably be fine for long term use. Just be wary of any random shutdowns in the future.

2. Take a screen cap of the Motherboard section of the HWinfo and post it. I would also look through all the sensors and take pictures of any temps you are not sure of what they are.

3. Run latency monitor in the background during a gaming session with a game that has issues. Then screen cap the latency mon application to post here.

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
"I dont think my mobo supports temperature monitoring since I cant find VRM temps on hwinfo."
Enable monitoring for the disabled Section. Should be right click then enable monitoring in the drop down menu.
If already enabled, disable it then reenable it.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021
1. Not as bad as I remember, but not the best either. It will probably be fine for long term use. Just be wary of any random shutdowns in the future.

2. Take a screen cap of the Motherboard section of the HWinfo and post it. I would also look through all the sensors and take pictures of any temps you are not sure of what they are.

3. Run latency monitor in the background during a gaming session with a game that has issues. Then screen cap the latency mon application to post here.

Alright, so I ran latencymon and was ruunning around without stuttering and I got this image: View: https://imgur.com/a/Hd0uMps

I ran it again and started running around. I kept stuttering and I had this result: View: https://imgur.com/a/V46K3H0

this happened withouut stuttering: View: https://imgur.com/a/TYI0m3w

this happened when i was in-game withouut stuttering and then tabbed out: View: https://imgur.com/a/3HKBaeb

HWiNFO screenshot: View: https://imgur.com/a/DN11i1p

Oh and I also did a clean boot and it did nothing

Alright, so I ran latencymon and was ruunning around without stuttering and I got this image:
Oh and I also did a clean boot and it did nothing
Do you have both kits of RAM installed in the computer? If so try just the new kit.

When you installed the new and old motherboards did you make sure to screw in all the motherboard standoff screws into the case standoffs? Do a once over on the internals looking for a short. You could even go as far as building the computer outside of the case to see if the behavior changes.

@Eximo @Hellfire13 @USAFRet @Karadjgne I am just about out of ideas, can anyone of you guys take a look?

May 15, 2021
Do you have both kits of RAM installed in the computer? If so try just the new kit.

When you installed the new and old motherboards did you make sure to screw in all the motherboard standoff screws into the case standoffs? Do a once over on the internals looking for a short. You could even go as far as building the computer outside of the case to see if the behavior changes.

@Eximo @Hellfire13 @USAFRet @Karadjgne I am just about out of ideas, can anyone of you guys take a look?

I refunded the 2nd pair of RAM that i used to test and I do not have a 2nd motherboard.
I'll check all the screws

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Some game engines just do not like to be 'tabbed' as it messes with ram resources, timings and data pass through. The only way around that usually is to run the game in windowed full screen which uses windows native DirectX instead of Fullscreen which uses OpenGL.

I can second that, I have a few games (CryEngine 3) that stutter constantly unless run in windowed mode.

Reactions: helper800
Ive tried that as well, stuttering continues in windowed, borderless and fullscreen
but stuuttering when tabbing out and in is normal
Can you make a video of the "flickering horizontal bars from time to time" and post it here? I know thats not exactly easy, but we are getting to the nitty gritty here.

Can also check the motherboard for bent or corroded CPU pins and any bulging capacitors.

We are close to the point of saying its either the motherboard or CPU just due to process of elimination.

May 15, 2021
Can you make a video of the "flickering horizontal bars from time to time" and post it here? I know thats not exactly easy, but we are getting to the nitty gritty here.

Can also check the motherboard for bent or corroded CPU pins and any bulging capacitors.

We are close to the point of saying its either the motherboard or CPU just due to process of elimination.

the flickering hasnt happened for a few days, will be hard to capture them as they happen at very random times, but I'll try.

I havent built the pc myself so itll be hard for me to deal with the CPU but I'll try