Question High FPS but Choppy Gameplay

Mar 28, 2019
I get high fps on games around 250-280 but when i look right and left it feels heavy and choppy. I have a 240hz monitor (im sure its at 240hz ) a GTX 1080 , 16 GB RAM and i7 7700k CPU. What is causing this ? Games are unplayyable tried formatting windows etc. Whatelse could you guys suggest me ? Any PC experts who can help me solve this problem , I will be so glad and I swear it is so annoying since months that the person who can help me solve this , I will give a small reward for his help .

Thanks

Mar 28, 2019
I do have a GSYNC monitor and I tried both using the GSYNC function On and off and didnt make a difference I also have the same problem with my old 144hz ASUS VG258Q montiro. Current monitor : Asus PG258QE. Currently running memtest to see if there are any issues with the RAM. The problem is in any game my fps is okay, like 200 - 250 minimum but looking right and left feels like with microstutters and heavy like im on 30hz monitor instead 240hz. I dont know what might be causing this . And sure I will of course choose the best answer ^^ If someone can really help me solve this problem I owe them big time <3

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im pretty sure you're using Displayport for Gsync to work and the option shouldn't be available on Hdmi but because some Hdmi 2 monitors can do 240Hz @ 1080p thought id just rule this thought out. Gsync only works with Displayport.

Gsync's range is between 30 to max refresh rate, in your case 240Hz. If Vsync is off and fps finds it's way over Gsync's range it is the same jitter mess as frames aren't synced. Reason for enabling Vsync is so fps doesn't climb over the threshold and keep within variable sync range and not induce input lag as ordinary Vsync does.

Try enable Vsync.

Mar 28, 2019
I lock my fps to max 240 in games so it doesnt exceed my refresh rate and yes I use a DP cable. I believe this issue is not related to my monitor tho since I tried using without a monitor aswell and before I had no issues with vsync off and no gsync monitor but now I have it with both monitors so I belive its either hardware related or some kind of driver conflict.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Before you come to a different conclusion, disconnect your secondary monitor and see how that goes. Reboot pc afterwards. Then enable Vsync to test if nothing changes.

If still no good revert driver version. Latest drivers can cause problems.

Other stuff to be aware of is temps, hdd space (20GB free recommended for ssds), and background running processes.

Mar 28, 2019
Temps are fine noting over 60 degress while gaming, I tried using only one monitor before it didnt fix I even tried reformatting pc using one monitor since the secondary monitor is connected via DVI when I reformat it doesnt see DVI so I used on the DVI connected monitor which was 144hz which made no difference. I might try using DDU with safe mode and reinstalling drivers. I tried it but I wasnt in safe mode maybe it might chance something

Mar 28, 2019
Windows keeps downloading the 2017 drivers automatically even though I disabled it from doing it. Maybe that is causing the issue ? The driver that windows installs is conflicting with the one im trying to install or something ?

Mar 28, 2019
After reinstalling I realized it's even worse and noticable now, the fps doesnt go over 140-180 and I had 240 stable before with microstutters. What could be wrong with this PC ffs, im trying to warm up for the upcoming world cup but with this terrible performance I can't do anything :/

Mar 28, 2019
I have it disabled already :( I tried every possible solution on the internet and couldnt solve this. I swear I just want to throw the PC out from the window its really annoying as hell. With a 1080 and i7700k and 16 GB RAM I shouldnt be having any problems in games which arent in Ultra resolution and 4K.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
After reinstalling I realized it's even worse and noticable now, the fps doesnt go over 140-180 and I had 240 stable before with microstutters. What could be wrong with this PC ffs, im trying to warm up for the upcoming world cup but with this terrible performance I can't do anything :/

If problems got worse, seems like it's software. Keep trying. Try 3.88 driver.

Perhaps look at background running apps in msconfig > startup, deslect them all and go from there one bye one.

Mar 28, 2019
It doesnt let me freshly install a new driver, it only lets me update the driver. I used DDU in safe mode and if I dont let windows auto update it doesnt detect any graphic driver so nvidia doesnt let me install it . Any way to do this ?

Mar 28, 2019
Okay so weird thing I just figured out is that if i record a gameplay from OBS it looks better than what I see on my display. I cant add videos here to show but if you could add me somewhere I could show it and maybe help define the problem. I tried over 4-5 monitors so I doubt its monitor related.
EDIT: Probably becuase it renders the video at 60fps which doesnt show all the details and the tearing and stuttering which i see at 240fps

I lock my fps to max 240 in games so it doesnt exceed my refresh rate and yes I use a DP cable. I believe this issue is not related to my monitor tho since I tried using without a monitor aswell and before I had no issues with vsync off and no gsync monitor but now I have it with both monitors so I belive its either hardware related or some kind of driver conflict.
I cannot confirm how accurate this is but I saw a review recently claiming with variable refresh rate monitors you should cap the fps a few fps below the max as the fps can still overshoot and you dont want the variable refresh rate switching on/off. Its worth trying setting the max to 235.

Mar 28, 2019
Okay so I did a fresh install and downloaded my driver by disabling windows update so i ran a benchmark and was getting 240hz on top right corner and 360 fps in the benchmark all looking smooth. A few mintutes later I launched Fortnite to test it and it was laggy and choppy as usual. Quit the game came back to desktop to re run the benchmark and the fps showed 260 instead 360 and the refresh rate showed 60hz on the top right even though my refresh rate is 240hz on both windows settings and nvidia settings. What could be causing this ?