[SOLVED] High framerate/usage from Graphics card causes major ping issues

spazbandicoot

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Hi there,

I recently installed a new RTX 2060 Super Founder's Edition into my system. The card itself is excellent with no problems at all.
However, when playing games on uncapped framerates, I begin to experience an extreme rise in ping and jitter (sometimes spiking up to 1500ms+).

I just tested the same scenario on an Ethernet connection and the problem does not occur. Unfortunately, I am unable to permanently run an Ethernet cable connection through the house.
This has led me to believe the issue lies on the network card I've been using for about 4 years now - a Qualcomm Atheros AR938x.

At full load with my previous GTX 1060 6GB installed, the aforementioned ping issues never occurred.

Is it possible that the Graphics card is taking/using power that would be needed for the Network card? If this actually is the problem, how do I go around solving it other than hindering the graphics card's full potential? I have very little experience with Network cards.

Full Specifications:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock

RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator @ CL16 3200MHz

MOBO - ASRock B450M Steel Legend

GPU - RTX 2060 Super Founder's Edition

PSU - Rosewill Capstone 1000-M 1000w (80+ Gold)

Main Drive - Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Radiux_sv

Commendable
Aug 18, 2020
Obvious question: is the Wireless card physically (too) close to the video card? if thats the case, maybe the video card is emitting some kind of electric distortion that is affecting wifi signal, I've seen that happen with USB HDD's, Wireless Mice and even a set of speakers causing trouble with Wifi cards.

EDIT: Just saw a picture of your motherboard model, have you tried installing the wifi card on the x16 slot at the bottom of the motherboard and then checking if the problem persist?

spazbandicoot

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Obvious question: is the Wireless card physically (too) close to the video card? if thats the case, maybe the video card is emitting some kind of electric distortion that is affecting wifi signal, I've seen that happen with USB HDD's, Wireless Mice and even a set of speakers causing trouble with Wifi cards.

EDIT: Just saw a picture of your motherboard model, have you tried installing the wifi card on the x16 slot at the bottom of the motherboard and then checking if the problem persist?

Sorry for the late reply.

I wasn't aware that you could plug a Mini PCIE component into a full-size PCIE slot, which would've helped in testing.

I ended up with a purchase of a new TP-LINK Archer AX50E/AX3000 network card as I thought it would be the solution to the problem. It also might've been due an upgrade anyway, being the oldest component in the system (excl. Drives).

This new network card did end up fixing the problem. I reckon due to the internal USB cable connection required, it's getting more power to it - unlike the old card.

Thanks for the help anyways.