[SOLVED] high latency on xbox networking (windows 10)

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
is this normal?? shouldnt i have way lower latency thant his?

im from El Salvador btw, i usually have better ping in other games depending on the server host, all from US related ones.

also sometimes it goes higher

d127kc6ydgx41.jpg

Solution
Thank you very much! That confirms what I suspected. :(

Your ping time is the same as you're getting from the xbox so your computer is taking the same path as the xbox. This is important as we need to be on the same path to diagnose properly.

The trace route shows a significant jump between hop 18 and 22. These IPs are owned by Microsoft. Guessing from the domain names assigned to these IP addresses, it seems like you are inside the US at this point since 'mia' (Miami) and 'atl30' (Atlanta) as before this big gap. That just means there's an issue at Microsoft internally. :(

What I would do is keep this ping up on your computer with the command
ping -t xeas.xboxlive.com

When you see the ping time drop back to what you normally...

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
Yeah must just be congestion. :(
Hmm congestion ? You mean on my end? I truly don't know cause I tested it over the Xbox companion app or something like that which has a networking feature and I get better ping around 90 while on the Xbox gaming on settings throught the Xbox networking I get terrible ping /latency I don't get it.

No, on the Internet itself. The 90 ping must be because it's taking a different route. If you want to see what's going on, you need to run a trace route. Do you have a computer on the same network that you can use?

If so, run these two commands and post their responses:
ping xeas.xboxlive.com
tracert xeas.xboxlive.com

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
No, on the Internet itself. The 90 ping must be because it's taking a different route. If you want to see what's going on, you need to run a trace route. Do you have a computer on the same network that you can use?

If so, run these two commands and post their responses:
ping xeas.xboxlive.com
tracert xeas.xboxlive.com
tracing and ping
here you are, i dont have another pc atm so i just did it on the one i use.

Thank you very much! That confirms what I suspected. :(

Your ping time is the same as you're getting from the xbox so your computer is taking the same path as the xbox. This is important as we need to be on the same path to diagnose properly.

The trace route shows a significant jump between hop 18 and 22. These IPs are owned by Microsoft. Guessing from the domain names assigned to these IP addresses, it seems like you are inside the US at this point since 'mia' (Miami) and 'atl30' (Atlanta) as before this big gap. That just means there's an issue at Microsoft internally. :(

What I would do is keep this ping up on your computer with the command
ping -t xeas.xboxlive.com

When you see the ping time drop back to what you normally see, your gaming experience will be back to normal. Aside from that there is nothing you can do from your end unfortunately.

Reactions: Chriss Angeh
Solution