maikeru89

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
Hey everyone,
So Ive been trying to figure this out for a while, I have a full custom waterloop and it seems my idle and load temps are a bit higher than they should be (as far as i know). Everytime I see a video about watercooling the temps always seem to be a lot lower than what im getting.

I have a Ryzen 7 3800x and I have a EK water block (the newest version as of Dec 2019) with an EKWB triple rad and 3 noctua fans in a push configuration. The average temps im getting under load is 65-75C. Is this normal or high and what tricks am i missing to lower the temps to a more agreeable area for the money I spent.

Side note: I dont really notice too much actual heat coming from the rads when under load. And I will also mention that i know 75C max is fine under load i was just expecting lower.

Side side note: I also have my 2080 super gpu in the loop but there is a second triple rad before the water gets to the cpu (order= res->gpu->triple rad->cpu->triple rad->res)

i91Yt4c.png

Lutfij

Titan
Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the voltages(in BIOS) for your platform, since that can and will affect your temps. Also, you will need to mention your ambient room air temps. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your motherboard as well.

Sounds like a flow issue to me as well. I started out using the pump header on my motherboard. For some reason that was set to vary based on CPU temp. So basically the pump wouldn't even run fast enough to cycle the loop until the CPU rose to like 60c-70c and then it would finally start to move liquid and the heat would fall...and the pump would slow down again.

I fixed that. The pump runs at a static speed now. If you have a bubble in the loop or in the rad it can cause a lot of problems with flow. I think its called an airlock. In most cases you can unplug the PWM header to the pump and the pump will default to full power. Which will help cycle the loop and push out extra air.

Your dual 360 rads is generally overkill. It may be causing a bit too much resistance for your pump. Probably not, but it if you are out of ideas you can try removing one of the rads from the loop to see if that addresses the issue.

Finally, a fluid temp sensor could be useful. It will tell you if heat is being transferred to the fluid. IE if you water blocks are making good contact. I have one which I use to control my fan speeds. Because the fluid temp changes more slowly I don't get any revving or sudden fan speed changes as I would if their speed was tied to the load or cpu temp. They stay nearly silent moving just enough air to keep things cool.

TRENDING THREADS