[SOLVED] Honest/sincere/humble/reliable opinion needed on GPU and Monitor upgrade...

Jul 13, 2020
Hi All,

I have availed a budget of INR 50K( around $650 USD)
With the given budget I really am considering a GPU upgrade, as I am a single player enthusiast

Currently have an i5 7500, (8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4) GTX 1060 6 GB with a 650-watt PSU - cannot look into changing my CPU/PSU/Main board anytime soon

Wanted to know if getting a 2070 super/2080 super would be feasible with the above-mentioned config and if I would be able to achieve 60-80 FPS at Max settings at 1080p or 1440p for all upcoming AAA titles

Any suggestions would help as I am urgently looking to upgrade, else would be left with no other option than to wait another 10-12 months. Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
You're really need to upgrade everything - cpu, ram, gpu, and probably psu, if it's a cheap model.

If you were just looking for smoother play on eSports titles, I could see getting away with just a gpu - and possibly psu - upgrade.
But AAA? Nah, you got some catching up to do, and don't have the budget for it all.

For today's AAA titles:
-Gpu is still OK. Can't run max settings, I'm sure, but still playable.
-Cpu? NOPE. 8 threads are what's in, and your current one just has 4.
-Ram is also a negative - even more so if it's just single channel. Dual channel, 16GBs is what's in now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're really need to upgrade everything - cpu, ram, gpu, and probably psu, if it's a cheap model.

If you were just looking for smoother play on eSports titles, I could see getting away with just a gpu - and possibly psu - upgrade.
But AAA? Nah, you got some catching up to do, and don't have the budget for it all.

For today's AAA titles:
-Gpu is still OK. Can't run max settings, I'm sure, but still playable.
-Cpu? NOPE. 8 threads are what's in, and your current one just has 4.
-Ram is also a negative - even more so if it's just single channel. Dual channel, 16GBs is what's in now.

Solution
Jul 13, 2020
Thanks, per your inference, I best wait another few months.
Would getting only a 2070 super for my current config could not up my fps (60+) for new titles at 1080p say the least at high/max settings?

Jul 13, 2020
Cool then, in-case if I ditch the GPU upgrade plan for now, would a neat new monitor now be worth it?
As then later hopefully by mid next year could look at changing my rig.

IPS 144hz/240hz GSYNC HDR 600 options at 1080p/1440p??

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't believe it would be worth it, not to mention, it'll affect the balance of your build.

1440p and higher resolutions will make your system more dependent on more expensive gpu solutions for smooth operation. It's the opposite for 1080p and lower; these are more dependent on fast cpus.
Ultra high refresh rates are also dependent on faster cpus as well.
Try to combine both high resolution and high refresh... things get expensive real quick.

240hz is more for eSports titles; the hardware demands on AAA games are just too hard.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok then:

IPS 144hz GSYNC HDR 600 options at 1080p?? Doable or just get the 2070 super if I am desperate?
Certainly doable, but I'm not familiar with the market in India; the brands I know of likely cost more due to import taxes...

My PSU is a Corsair VS 650 btw....
Not very hardy for dealing with a 2070 Super - it's not to do with the wattage, but the quality of the internal components.
That unit is better suited for home/office PCs with something like a 1650 Super.

Jul 13, 2020
Certainly doable, but I'm not familiar with the market in India; the brands I know of likely cost more due to import taxes...

Not very hardy for dealing with a 2070 Super - it's not to do with the wattage, but the quality of the internal components.
That unit is better suited for home/office PCs with something like a 1650 Super.
so by chance if I get 2070 super it maybe risky??

Jul 13, 2020

at this point I am 80% desperate and would say fk it and get a 2070 Super, hope that I dont risk my current rig...

Jul 13, 2020
The Corsair VS650 isn't going to blow up or anything like that; it does have some protections in place.
The worst you will have to deal with are things like black screens and crashes because the 2070 Super is too hard to deal with.
thanks again, but not like every time I load up a game and expect black-screen or crash on each instance ryt?