Horrible lag on kickass gaming build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Awesom3GamerA3G

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
In almost any game released in the past year, i get horrible lag on.
Example - 20 fps on Alan Wake
10 fps on The Secret World
5-15 fps on Minecraft with Unbelievable Shaders mod

I have an intel i5 3570k which I OC sometimes
2 7959 crossfire cards
16GB Ram
1TB HDD
1000watt power supply
Windows 8 Basic

Update - here's a picture of my rig
http://imgur.com/596qguM

Solution

Awesom3GamerA3G

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Oh my ****ing hell. I think you may have fixed it, will confirm. I think we're onto something...
Nope...

if this is your first build then graphics cards with 6 pin connectors on them need supplementary power to work correctly, i am surprised the system even boots as my amd systems have always failed to boot without supplementary power connected and given out audible and visible warnings of a message on the screen.

best thing to also do is to used the hdmi port on the card rather than the dvi to hdmi, it will also send sound to the tv if you set the hdmi to your sound output.

Awesom3GamerA3G

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

It has a good PSU.

Awesom3GamerA3G

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Nope. I tried to plug in my HDMI cable into the 2nd gfx card but there's no picture whatsoever. Is it dead?

Awesom3GamerA3G

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Oh. Wait, i have had all the 6pin connectors ever since i got my pc... :/ i have used them, and it was the connector above the 24-pin connector that i plugged in. And no, it still has jarbled graphics

most likely not, it is probably just defaulting to the top card, if the pc is still on just swap the cable back and try the top card on its own and see if it is ok.

Awesom3GamerA3G

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Still http://imgur.com/imybOAr when i go fullscreen in it, even worse with flashing red lines and crazy ****. Maybe it has something to do with a specific graphics engine? Sometimes in valve games itll won't have the http://imgur.com/imybOAr effect but in others it has it really bad.

want to take a picture of the inside just to make sure nothing is amiss.

the only other thing to do is to take out the top card and put the bottom card in its place and plug the monitor into it with it in the system on its own, just remember which card is which just incase you have a faulty card.

Awesom3GamerA3G

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

You there?

Awesom3GamerA3G

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

I believe i have found that at least one of the cards is faulty, probably due to reckless, stupid overclocking. Well, my best buy warranty covers replacements, so i'll be able to get that done. Thank you so much.

thats ok mate, i would put the faulty card away and put the working card in the top slot and make sure your screen is plugged into that card.

you should be able to enable the OSD in radeon pro to show you framerates in pretty much most game, i know it wont on minecraft.

just add a game profile and enable the osd and show fps and temps and gpu usage etc and see how it goes.

to add a profile its the paper with a green + on it at top of the window then just look for the games .exe

Awesom3Gamer

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Hey dude - 2nd acc here
I found out that my 2nd graphics card was burnt out from overheating. :( the geek squad confirmed it. Thanks for helping me reach this conclusion - will contact XFX support

Solution

Awesom3Gamer

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Thanks. AT least the other guy actually helped me, unlike you >.>