Question How can i combine these 2 unallocated partitions?

Domthebomb3

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2tb WD Blue Hard Drive and when i opened my file explorer, i saw that it was only around 1tb. I went to look at the partitions and i saw that the other tb was unallocated. I messed around with it, trying to get them together, and i somehow ended up with 2 unallocated spaces(both around 930 GB each.) They are also not adjacent. They are split by a 450 Mb Healthy(Recovery Partition). I have tried formatting and extending and i keep running into errors like "There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation." I tried doing my own research and was told that because they are separated, i needed a 3rd party software. I tried 2 different software's and only my SSD shows up. My hard drive is there, but it dosent show any of the partitions because it says it is a Dynamic Disc. I don't know what that means, but one told me to restart my computer(which did nothing), and the other told me i needed to get the paid version. If anyone could help my i would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dom

When you installed this drive did you install Windows after or before?

The 450MB reserved is a partition that is created by the Windows installation. If you have two drives in your system Windows will use the second drive for that. If that partition goes missing Windows will not boot.

If it was a brand new drive with that partition then the drive was not brand new. Otherwise you would need to delete the 450MB partition in order to combine the two other partitions as you cannot combine when there is one in the middle.

Domthebomb3

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
When you installed this drive did you install Windows after or before?

The 450MB reserved is a partition that is created by the Windows installation. If you have two drives in your system Windows will use the second drive for that. If that partition goes missing Windows will not boot.

If it was a brand new drive with that partition then the drive was not brand new. Otherwise you would need to delete the 450MB partition in order to combine the two other partitions as you cannot combine when there is one in the middle.
I installed windows in my SSD before I installed the hard drive. How would I delete that partition because if I remember correctly, it wouldn’t let me delete it?

You should be able to delete the partition in Disk Management.

Its odd thast if this was a new drive and you installed Windows to your SSD before installing this HDD that it would have any partitions on it. It should have come up as one large blank unformatted drive.

TRENDING THREADS