[SOLVED] How can I find a virus that my antivirus program won’t detect?

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
In Windows 10, my cursor moves around and opens files and closes tabs on my browser. It does it in airplane mode and moves around in the login screen. Avast does not detect it even in the boot scan. Malware bytes won’t find it in safe mode either. Also, reinstalling windows will not solve it since windows indicates that the battery is not at full capacity. I would like to put all files on my new laptop, but not before solving this issue. Since windows updates keep deleting files and driver updating files, I do not want to invest in the older system. Can anyone help me?

Solution
OOPS! I meant to say Windows defender.
Windows defender comes with windows.
Likely you are running it unless you replaced it with some other anti virus.
Some time back, defender detected more known viruses than any other product out there.
Other antivirus programs try to detect "in the wild" viruses.
Those are viruses that have not been identified.
Such apps are more resource heavy.

In addition, there is a Microsoft security security scanner you might try:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...otection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
The fact is that the adapter constantly needs to be unplugged to reset the charge, the updates keep deleting stuff, and I have a new system that I can’t return. The old system will keep having problems no matter what. Reinstalling windows will still require updates, and make hardware conflicts. I’ve seen that in the past, some hardware issues had been caused by viruses, and remained after installing windows again. Is there any resource for detecting uncommon viruses which do these things?

USAFRet

Titan
The fact is that the adapter constantly needs to be unplugged to reset the charge, the updates keep deleting stuff, and I have a new system that I can’t return. The old system will keep having problems no matter what. Reinstalling windows will still require updates, and make hardware conflicts. I’ve seen that in the past, some hardware issues had been caused by viruses, and remained after installing windows again. Is there any resource for detecting uncommon viruses which do these things?
Given a proper full wipe and reinstall from a valid Windows isntall, a virus will not survive that.

Maybe a very very rare boot sector virus, but that is unlikely.

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
But if the adapter does not charge all the time, and constantly needs unplugged and plugged back in, then windows will need updated again, and the hardware will conflict, the new system still needs to be replaced. I do have important files on the old system, so just wiping the old one will not solve it. If a virus can be created, shouldn’t it be able to be found? This is not a bodily virus.

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
However, considering this: recently the battery was at 97% plugged in, the I unplugged it and plugged it back in several times and it went to 91% then went to some sort of low power mode. Then I unplugged it and plugged it in again, then it was 8%, then it only charged to 16%. Then I unplugged it and plugged it in again before suddenly it said 100%. The system lately has said the battery cannot store full capacity at boot after the latest windows update, but the charger keeps not charging fully at sleep mode at random times, suggests an alternate problem besides the virus. This charger and battery are only 1 year old. I think it is better to find the solution. To the virus and get everything transferred to the new computer (without risking infecting it), then just reinstalling windows and waiting for everything to stop functioning due to hardware defects and not using the new laptop that can no longer be returned.

Supposedly compatible batteries and power adapters do not always work properly.
If the laptop is worth salvaging, buy an original battery and adapter for it.
Yes, it will cost more.
Windows defender has a stand alone virus checker that you might try.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021
However, considering this: recently the battery was at 97% plugged in, the I unplugged it and plugged it back in several times and it went to 91% then went to some sort of low power mode. Then I unplugged it and plugged it in again, then it was 8%, then it only charged to 16%. Then I unplugged it and plugged it in again before suddenly it said 100%. The system lately has said the battery cannot store full capacity at boot after the latest windows update, but the charger keeps not charging fully at sleep mode at random times, suggests an alternate problem besides the virus. This charger and battery are only 1 year old. I think it is better to find the solution. To the virus and get everything transferred to the new computer (without risking infecting it), then just reinstalling windows and waiting for everything to stop functioning due to hardware defects and not using the new laptop that can no longer be returned.

Like the others have said, do a full reinstall of windows. Though, I think you're getting a new device from the sounds of this post (correct me if I'm wrong). It is possible that you have a restore point that hasn't been infected by this particular piece of malware, but I would only go that route if you know for a fact that it couldn't have been there at the date of your restore points.

As a precaution, it would also be wise to keep that particular computer disconnected from your network in the event that it could possibly infect it or other devices connected to your network.

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
The new device was purchased in August prior to seeing this infection. At that time, I only knew the touchpad wasn’t working and the screen was flickering. It was suggested by a tech. Then when my profile was repaired, I started seeing what appeared to be hacking, then it seemed to be a virus. I decided to keep the computer in case bios updates were not working. Then it seemed I could not find a solution, and it could not be solved, and I felt I should try to find the virus. Also, the updates kept messing up the system and the battery seems worse (along with the charger). Due to a previously corrupted profile, there likely is not a restore point. It does seem like I first saw this issue when the profile was restored, though a virus with similar properties was quarantined when I installed zone alarm when it seemed to be removed when the profile was repaired and avast seemed to be disabled. So I have a brand new laptop that probably has newer drivers that I just want to find anything that may compromise the old one that has so many missing system files and original files so I can install everything I need (including important documents) on the new system. I even purchased an external dvd drive which I’m sure cannot be returned now. It is no use to invest in the old system that has so many things missing from windows updates. What is intel defender? I couldn’t find that on google. Microsoft defender never finds anything.

OOPS! I meant to say Windows defender.
Windows defender comes with windows.
Likely you are running it unless you replaced it with some other anti virus.
Some time back, defender detected more known viruses than any other product out there.
Other antivirus programs try to detect "in the wild" viruses.
Those are viruses that have not been identified.
Such apps are more resource heavy.

In addition, there is a Microsoft security security scanner you might try:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...otection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Solution

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
I did download that, but as I thought, I downloaded it before and avast found a trojan in safety scanner. I even reported it to Microsoft, and they did not fix it. It is infected with AutoIt:Banker-AB[Trj]. Is that some sort of ransomware?

USAFRet

Titan
I did download that, but as I thought, I downloaded it before and avast found a trojan in safety scanner. I even reported it to Microsoft, and they did not fix it. It is infected with AutoIt:Banker-AB[Trj]. Is that some sort of ransomware?
"The detection Trojan:W32/AutoIt identifies a large family of trojans that attempt to download and install other harmful programs, or make changes to the web browser settings. "
https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/trojan_w32_autoit.shtml

I can't stress this strongly enough - Full wipe and reinstall.

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
This virus is from safety scanner though, it is not from the previous problem. This Trojan was blocked again today.It will not take care or the adapter that is not always charging and it is not worth investing more money in the old laptop and avoiding putting existing important files on a laptop I bought in August. Quarantined files and blocked files do not matter either when wiping the system. Does anyone know about resolving the hidden viruses so I can transfer important files to the new system that cannot be returned? It should be known that viruses that are blocked cannot infect my system and the concern is the existing infection. I think reinstalling windows would help if replacing things was an option or there were not constant hardware and software conflicts (as well as disappearing driver and software updating files and other OEM software).

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
For instance, legal matters in word documents and pdf documents. I also have personal files I do not want to delete. Some may not be backed up. Such as music I purchased that did not sync with my iPhone when the profile was corrupted prior. I do know that just reinstalling windows on a system that is failing anyways and forgetting about the purchased system will not solve everything.

USAFRet

Titan
For instance, legal matters in word documents and pdf documents. I also have personal files I do not want to delete. Some may not be backed up. Such as music I purchased that did not sync with my iPhone when the profile was corrupted prior. I do know that just reinstalling windows on a system that is failing anyways and forgetting about the purchased system will not solve everything.
This is one of the reasons backups are so strongly referenced here.

legal docs?

Ah well...

Obtain an external drive.
Discover and copy whatever personal/legal/music files you want.
Verify you found them all.
Check that you found them all.
Check again.

Copy these files to another drive.Both of these external drives shall remain offline until later.

Full wipe and reinstall of the OS.
Install NOTHING except antivirus tools.

Connect one of the external drives, and do a deep virus scan of all these personal files. And then with Hitman Pro. And then with MalwareBytes.

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
I still don’t know if you understand what I explained completely. I have a new computer I want to move everything to. It is unopened and I can’t return it. The old one is clearly not always charging and it is also clear that updates delete OEM software, make driver updates stop working, and delete important system files. That means that even if I reinstall Windows, and it deletes the virus, this computer will still stop working, and I cannot use the new system that I spent nearly $1,000 dollars on since the hardware was malfunctioning due to a windows update (which by the way I needed to constantly keep downloading the bios update every time windows updated). So basically, I need to use the new system no matter what. That is why I want to salvage everything, and make sure nothing hidden gets moved to it. Malware bytes has not detected anything in safe mode, but I could try again with the update. Maybe that other program.

USAFRet

Titan
I still don’t know if you understand what I explained completely. I have a new computer I want to move everything to. It is unopened and I can’t return it. The old one is clearly not always charging and it is also clear that updates delete OEM software, make driver updates stop working, and delete important system files. That means that even if I reinstall Windows, and it deletes the virus, this computer will still stop working, and I cannot use the new system that I spent nearly $1,000 dollars on since the hardware was malfunctioning due to a windows update (which by the way I needed to constantly keep downloading the bios update every time windows updated). So basically, I need to use the new system no matter what. That is why I want to salvage everything, and make sure nothing hidden gets moved to it. Malware bytes has not detected anything in safe mode, but I could try again with the update. Maybe that other program.
You want to (hopefully) prevent moving any infected files fromt he old system to the new.

Therefore....check them before you even think about moving them to the new system.

The steps above may do that.

Copy these files to some external device
Full wipe and reinstall on the old system
Check these files on the old system, which is now fully uninfected after the full wipe and reinstall

Then and only then...consider moving these personal files to the new system.

Whatever you do with the old system after that is irrelevant.

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
This could potentially work. However, the only drawback is if the files that were backed up are infected, and the programs such as malwarebytes or avast, or even some other program someone suggested still are not detecting the virus (I am suggesting that it had infected the copied files), then what is preventing the virus from being copied to the new computer? This solution that many people are suggesting is concluding that copied files will not be infected. Nobody knows where this virus is embedded. It could be embedded in a program or in some other file, but it is unknown. it is highly unlikely that it is embedded in a music file. It is probable that it is in some file that runs when Windows is running, since the cursor behavior happens randomly while Windows is running. I am not sure if it is a DLL, some system file, or what.

USAFRet

Titan
Well, yes...if those files are infected and your AV tools don't pick it up...you'll end up in the same place.
They may be, they may not be.

But this infection came from somewhere. You're the only one who knows what you've downloaded and where it came from.

Is there any life changing data in those files?
Divorce, losing your job, bankruptcy...stuff like that?
If not, may be just time to cut your losses and consider all that stuff gone.

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
By the way, I do not know where this infection came from. In August, i noticed this issue began after my profile was repaired by a tech, and zone alarm was uninstalled, and probably avast was disabled. I found that after coming out of sleep mode, some folders were suddenly opened. Then I reinstalled zone alarm, etc. I wondered if I had forgotten that I opened the folders. Then this kept happening, so I ran a scan, and quarantined a virus, then i ran a boot scan. I believe i quarantined another virus. Then it kept getting worse, and i didn't find anything. I really didn't download any odd things. If I knew where the virus came from, I wouldn't be asking questions on every website that i can find, and asking friends who have knowledge of programming or have been computer technicians. I even find it odd that it seems that my previous thought of a potential infection seemed to occur likely after this activity started happening. When I moved, I saw more than random folders being opened when I was not at the computer, but then the cursor moving and opening things while I was at the computer. Have you heard of any fake consumer reports e-mails that would link to a fake consumer reports site, that actually looked like one? That is what I supposed might have embedded something. But I was pretty sure it had the domain. This could have been more than one thing since the initial opening of folders in sleep mode was just folders, and i didn't see the activity, then later it was many files on my desktop, and things i didn't know existed, and things on the taskbar, then even what i said before. It is possible that if i knew specifically where it came from, that i could have found the exact solution already.