Question How can I fix PC issues?

Eifersucht

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hello,

I recently built a new PC for my wife and have run into several issues.

Components:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB
  • Gigabyte B650 AERO G ATX AM5
  • G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
  • Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe4.0 X4 NVME
  • Gigabyte AERO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Super
  • Corsair RM850x SHIFT 850W
  • Windows 11
There are twoprimary issues that may be related or at least can feed into each other

1. NZXT CAM software causes black screens - first monitor will freeze and LCD on kraken will freeze and eventually monitor screen goes
    • With software off, it seems stable
  2. When shutdown is forced, computer will boot to black screen - no access to BIOS
    • RGB lights stay on after forced shutdown
    • resetting power supply and booting will allow boot without issue

I have attempted to update the BIOs, but when it reset to install bios, the screen stayed black. I had to force shutdown. Fortunately bios still seems to be operating okay on previous version. I have also updated drivers, done fresh reinstall of GPU drivers, and turned off fast boot.

Computer seems to run okay under load. Any help here would be appreciated!

rajdeep8

Prominent
Mar 14, 2023
looking at the second issue I doubt m.2 nvme drive issue. I am just asking: do you have installed an nvme m.2 drive in the system?...try swapping it with another system and see.

I was having the 2nd issue, where computer turns on and stuck on Asrock logo+black screen, no loading no bios screen on pressing bios key.

Removed my m.2 and then it worked.

Eifersucht

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
looking at the second issue I doubt m.2 nvme drive issue. I am just asking: do you have installed an nvme m.2 drive in the system?...try swapping it with another system and see.

I was having the 2nd issue, where computer turns on and stuck on Asrock logo+black screen, no loading no bios screen on pressing bios key.

Removed my m.2 and then it worked.
Yes, I have a single nvme drive that has my windows install. On a normal boot, I can access the bios no problem. On the forced shutdown after screens freeze, the screen doesnt show even the motherboard logo on boot. It does not detect any signal from digital cable.

Hey there,

NZXT CAM software causes black screens - first monitor will freeze and LCD on kraken will freeze and eventually monitor screen goes
  • With software off, it seems stable
What do you use NZXT for? To test, remove it completely. If you're only using it for RGB control, then try SignalRGB, which is very good.

I have attempted to update the BIOs, but when it reset to install bios, the screen stayed black. I had to force shutdown.
I suspect what has happened after the bios update is that you didn't clear CMOS. If you don't do that, the bios will not completely take. Old remnants of microcode can linger until you clear CMOS. Ideally, and specially with a Ryzen build you need to have your bios up to date.

Eifersucht

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hey there,

What do you use NZXT for? To test, remove it completely. If you're only using it for RGB control, then try SignalRGB, which is very good.

I suspect what has happened after the bios update is that you didn't clear CMOS. If you don't do that, the bios will not completely take. Old remnants of microcode can linger until you clear CMOS. Ideally, and specially with a Ryzen build you need to have your bios up to date.
At this point, I keep the NZXT cam off. However, I would like to use it to control the LCD screen on the AiO pump.

When I went to update the bios, the computer automatically reset but screen was black. Are you suggesting at this stage I shut it off and clear the CMOS?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
When I went to update the bios, the computer automatically reset but screen was black. Are you suggesting at this stage I shut it off and clear the CMOS?
Yes, precisely.

Edit: Sometimes it takes a few reboots for the UEFI/Bios to configure itself and ram testing. Stick with the process till you can boot from the latest bios. Then we can really see where your system is at.