bryanmartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
This may be a dumb question, but here it is. I want to add two more hdds for a RAID array, but I only have one more sata power lead from my power supply. I have plenty of the 4-pin female connectors with six wires (2 black, 2 red, 2 yellow). Can I use an adaptor from those to convert to sata power? Can I split power from my one existing power lead? Is there another way?

Thanks,
Bryan

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
what is your psu and how many HDD's do you have? Most Sata power cables from a decent psu will have multiple connections going into a single slot in the psu. What is your psu and how many hdd's do you have, want total. This will help me understand where exactly you are going with this setup.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
yeah, and there is a high risk of user error. You would have to know what you were doing and make sure all connections were very snug. I think a couple y-connectors would do just fine if he didnt have any more molex ports in his psu.

The punch down connectors are simple enough that an untrained chimp could figure them out, you give people to little credit.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
^ I give people as much credit as they have proven. You have no idea of his tech skill or anything, and you recommended something that could give him a false error, such as bad connections. There are more fool-proof solutions out there that work just as good for the issue.

However, since he has yet to answer my question about how many HDD's/cd-rom bays he has installed, this is yet to be an issue. Most mid to high end psu's come with sata power cables that have 3-4 sata connectors attached to them. So, if he only has 4 units to hook up, he shouldn't need anything he doesn't already have.

bryanmartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

I have a 700W CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus PSU, and I currently have 3 HDDs, but I want 5 total.