[SOLVED] How can I install a graphics card into my system, and which to choose?

bigweed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2012
So I am trying to install a graphics card into my desktop PC. My PC is a HP Prodesk 400 G5 SFF, product 4CZ70ET#ABU:

Intel Core i5-8500 Six Core 3.0GHz
256GB SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe
1 x 16GB DDR4-2666Mhz RAM
Intel UHD Graphics
180 W internal power supply
Win 10 Pro x64
Case dimensions - 27 x 29.6 x 9.5 cm
Optional GPU - (not installed) AMD Radeon™ R7 430 Graphics (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

I have read the HP info for it and it says there is a spare 1 PCIe 3 x16 slot. I have taken some photos of the inside of the case:

Can anyone suggest how I can install a graphics card and connect to power supply? I know where the PCIe slot is, but I am not sure how to connect it to the PSU
Also, which card under £100 would be good? I am looking to play some Call of Duty Warzone if possible

Cheers for all help

Edit: added PSU info, optional GPU, case dimensions

Last edited:
Solution
How do I pick which one would be best?
It would be smart thing to check available connections on your monitor first.
Make sure card, you're buying, has appropriate connections. Or else - you'll need additional cable adapters.

Your pc seems to have only DP and VGA connections. So your new graphics card needs to have DP connection. Modern graphics cards have abandoned VGA connection, so probably wouldn't find one with it.

BTW - not that many to choose from.
You need:
GT 1030​
GDDR5 2GB​
low profile​
single slot width​
DP connector​

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#O=1,4&a=1&Q=0&c=396&T=8&N=1,2
A used 1050 ti, or a 750 ti (or gt 1030.. or rx 550)
would be a good bet, though for higher than 100 pounds you could get a better gpu (obviously) but what i mean is that your cpu won't hold a better gpu back.

As for where you place it, the long black slot in picture 2, at the bottom is where you would place it.
watch out, as your case seems to only support 1 slot cards (a slot is that metal part you can remove at the back of the case, it should be right next to the slot i was talking about earlier, in the bottom left of picture 2)

all the cards i was talking about earlier usually are 1 slot cards, but higher power cards, like a 1060, or 1660 super would usually be a 2 slot card.

As for how to connect it to your psu, it is a 6 or 8 pin connector, though, lower end cards sometimes do not need a power connector all gt 1030s and some gtx 1050 ti's dont need it.
(If your power supply does not have any 6 or 8 pin connectors, there are molex to 6 pin or sata power to 6 pin adapters, though i would only use those if you have to.)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you will want a low wattage card, a gt 1030 a gtx 1050 or similar low profile GPU with no auxiliary power connector. the PSU installed cannot handle higher power cards, it may not be able to even power a gtx 1050, some boards are limited to 30W, which would limit you to the gt 1030.
from the images it looks like it may be a wattage limited board.
Call HP for verification before you spend any money and verify the wattage available from the PCIe slot.

the large black slot below the battery in the second picture is the PCIe generation 3 x16 slot

Wolfshadw

Titan
The problem you're going to run into is the space between the PCI-Ex16 expansion slot and the power supply directly below it. It will only allow for a "single slot width" graphics card.

dual-slot-vs-dual-width-2.jpg

I do not believe that any of the cards mentioned so far are "Single slot width"

-Wolf sends

bigweed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2012
A used 1050 ti, or a 750 ti (or gt 1030.. or rx 550)
would be a good bet, though for higher than 100 pounds you could get a better gpu (obviously) but what i mean is that your cpu won't hold a better gpu back.

As for where you place it, the long black slot in picture 2, at the bottom is where you would place it.
watch out, as your case seems to only support 1 slot cards (a slot is that metal part you can remove at the back of the case, it should be right next to the slot i was talking about earlier, in the bottom left of picture 2)

all the cards i was talking about earlier usually are 1 slot cards, but higher power cards, like a 1060, or 1660 super would usually be a 2 slot card.

As for how to connect it to your psu, it is a 6 or 8 pin connector, though, lower end cards sometimes do not need a power connector all gt 1030s and some gtx 1050 ti's dont need it.
(If your power supply does not have any 6 or 8 pin connectors, there are molex to 6 pin or sata power to 6 pin adapters, though i would only use those if you have to.)

Hi @siaan312 thanks for the reply. the only spare power cable I can see is the one labelled 'SATA PWR' in pics 3 and 4 - can I use this to power a graphics card? Otherwise, could I take out the power for the DVD drive as I dont use it?

1 slot or 2 slot - there are two metal plates at the back I can remove - does this mean I can use a 2 slot card? You can see them bottom left hand corner of pic 2.

If I buy a card which does not need power cable plugging into it, does it draw power from the PCIE slot?

If I have to use the SATA power cable and convert it for my use, is that a really bad idea? Im not sure how else I can power the graphics card if I need to. There doesnt seem to be a spare cable hanging around anywhere inside the case

I have added info re: PSU and optional GPU which I dont have - Im guessing the optional GPU is one I could install now if I wanted to? Or something similar to it?

Cheers for helping

Last edited:

bigweed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2012
Your pc has 180W PSU. Generally it is not enough for powering system with disscrete graphics card.
May be only some ultra low power card like GT 1030 (even it has manufacturer recommendation of 300W psu minimum).

Look for single slot low profile GT 1030 models.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gt+1030+single+slot+low+profile&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss

hI @SkyNetRising I have just seen that the AMD Radeon™ R7 430 Graphics (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated) is an optional card for this PC - is there anything else of a similar value that would be better than it that you know of?

hI @SkyNetRising I have just seen that the AMD Radeon™ R7 430 Graphics (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated) is an optional card for this PC - is there anything else of a similar value that would be better than it that you know of?
R7 430 requires more power than GT 1030. It's 50W card and recommended is 350W PSU minimum.
GT 1030 is your best option.

BTW - can you show photo of label printed on your PSU?

bigweed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2012
you will want a low wattage card, a gt 1030 a gtx 1050 or similar low profile GPU with no auxiliary power connector. the PSU installed cannot handle higher power cards, it may not be able to even power a gtx 1050, some boards are limited to 30W, which would limit you to the gt 1030.
from the images it looks like it may be a wattage limited board.
Call HP for verification before you spend any money and verify the wattage available from the PCIe slot.

the large black slot below the battery in the second picture is the PCIe generation 3 x16 slot

Hi @R_1 I have seen that the AMD Radeon™ R7 430 Graphics (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated) is a recommended (and optional) GPU for this PC. That GPU has 50w requirements. So I guess I can go upto 50w. Any ideas what would be best for upto that wattage, and still around £100?

May 20, 2020
So I am trying to install a graphics card into my desktop PC. My PC is a HP Prodesk 400 G5 SFF, product 4CZ70ET#ABU:

Intel Core i5-8500 Six Core 3.0GHz
256GB SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe
1 x 16GB DDR4-2666Mhz RAM
Intel UHD Graphics
180 W internal power supply
Win 10 Pro x64
Case dimensions - 27 x 29.6 x 9.5 cm
Optional GPU - (not installed) AMD Radeon™ R7 430 Graphics (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

I have read the HP info for it and it says there is a spare 1 PCIe 3 x16 slot. I have taken some photos of the inside of the case:

Can anyone suggest how I can install a graphics card and connect to power supply? I know where the PCIe slot is, but I am not sure how to connect it to the PSU
Also, which card under £100 would be good? I am looking to play some Call of Duty Warzone if possible

Cheers for all help

Edit: added PSU info, optional GPU, case dimensions
There should be a place for the GPU. Try place the GPU anywhere. The spot it bests fits into should be where you install the GPU. I'd recommend a Geforce GTX 1650. Happy graphics carding!

Hi @siaan312 thanks for the reply. the only spare power cable I can see is the one labelled 'SATA PWR' in pics 3 and 4 - can I use this to power a graphics card? Otherwise, could I take out the power for the DVD drive as I dont use it?

1 slot or 2 slot - there are two metal plates at the back I can remove - does this mean I can use a 2 slot card? You can see them bottom left hand corner of pic 2.

If I buy a card which does not need power cable plugging into it, does it draw power from the PCIE slot?

If I have to use the SATA power cable and convert it for my use, is that a really bad idea? Im not sure how else I can power the graphics card if I need to. There doesnt seem to be a spare cable hanging around anywhere inside the case

I have added info re: PSU and optional GPU which I dont have - Im guessing the optional GPU is one I could install now if I wanted to? Or something similar to it?

Cheers for helping
If the card does not need a cable to it, it will draw power from the slot.
most slots provide 75 watts of power, but some (and with hp and dell and such you can never know) only provide 30 watts which is not enough.

that sata power cable can be used to power a gpu, only with an adapter though.
a sata to 6+2 (8) pin pcie power.
enthusiasts look down at using adapters, but i have used them many a times and they work just fine.

if you want the most that pc would probably handle, is a gtx 1050, or if youre lucky a gtx 1050 ti.
i would get a 1050 and not risk it.

As for 2 or 1 slot cards, even though you have 2 pcie slots in the back, if you look in the computer you can clearly see the long slot is perpendicular to the lower slot.
dual slot cards accommodate the slot next to them, and the one below.
for example, if you had a dual slot card in that little slot above it (usually the cards that go into that slot are 1 slot cards but roll with me)
it would take that slot and the next one below it, that is next to the long slot.

this is confusing, but i hope you get the point.

bigweed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2012
1. Your not going to have a power cable for the card.

2. You need to check the motherboard specks I have seen a bunch of HP motherboards that don't / can't deliver 75 watts to the PCI-E slot. Some are cut down to 45 watts.

Hi @Zerk2012 @siaan312 Any idea how I can check what the motherboard specs are? Ive tried to find this info on HP website but doesnt seem to be available. I think this must be my next step to make sure I can use whichever card I get

bigweed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2012
You can use 30W card for sure.
With 50W card - you're on limit, what your PSU can handle.

Here for example even 185W card is listed as compatible(page 10, RX 580). Obviously this is not possible with your PSU.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06513590

So - get GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 single slot low profile card and be done with it.

Hi all, I have decided to risk it on a GT1030 (not GTX1030??) But after searching for it there's so many variations from so many manufacturers. How do I pick which one would be best?

How do I pick which one would be best?
It would be smart thing to check available connections on your monitor first.
Make sure card, you're buying, has appropriate connections. Or else - you'll need additional cable adapters.

Your pc seems to have only DP and VGA connections. So your new graphics card needs to have DP connection. Modern graphics cards have abandoned VGA connection, so probably wouldn't find one with it.

BTW - not that many to choose from.
You need:
GT 1030​
GDDR5 2GB​
low profile​
single slot width​
DP connector​

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#O=1,4&a=1&Q=0&c=396&T=8&N=1,2

Last edited:
Solution