Budgeteer_262

Reputable
Jan 13, 2021
Hi All,

I purchased ddr3 4x4gb 1600Mhz 9 9 9 24 ram modules. Corsair Vengeance

However, upon closer inspection, I realised that they were two separate 2x4gb ram kits. Two of the ram sticks only have memory dies on one side of the pub while two of the modules have dies on both sides of the pcb. While both the dual sided and single sided modules have exactly the same heatsink, advertised clock Spd, primary timings, there are minor print differences on the module labels. (see pictures)

Annoyingly, I can only get the two ram modules with dies on one side of the PCBs to post. They work fine and also post in dual channel. However, the double sided die modules won't post for love nor money.

While the modules are second hand, it seems too much of a coincidence that the two modules which don't work are both of the double sided die variant.

Aside from trying the double sided ram modules in every single ram slot air blasting dust from them, what could I do to get them to post?

Motherboard bios is latest version.

Maybe I could boot with the ones that do work and somehow prepare the bios config so that it also posts when I add the others? I've already tried booting in dual channel with one double and one single sided module, which failed.

I'm using an Asus B85m-e motherboard running an i7 4790s.

I just thought that I'd ask here first before complaining to the seller that the modules are faulty, especially because he said that all the modules had come out of the same working computer.

The Version 5.21 modules are single sided modules which post and the Version 8.16 modules are the double sided ones which don't post.

Thanks

20230118-070054.jpg

Budgeteer_262

Reputable
Jan 13, 2021
Update: I just got both of the double sided modules to post together. This tells me that all four of the modules are fully functional.

However, when I put all four in, no post. The motherboard seems to really hate when I mix v5.21 modules with v8.16 modules.