[SOLVED] How do I remove a folder in the navigation pane of windows explorer?

OJDylan

Commendable
May 31, 2016
mqcN2fi.png

drBNMHk.png

This error box appears whenever I try to click on it, and there's no delete option so it's an empty folder stuck in my navigation pane which is really bugging me since I do not use the application anymore.

Last edited:
Solution
I hate when companies don't provide a proper uninstaller that removes everything their software installed. It's even worse when they make system changes such as adding folders to Explorer and don't remove them with the uninstall. I just installed Zoho Docs on my test system to see if I could fix this. I was hoping it would be as simple as reinstalling the software and uninstalling it. It's not. It definitely leaves the folder there once you've uninstalled it. The folder displayed on the left of Explorer is stored in the registry, so simply deleting the actual folder won't help.

I also restarted Windows Explorer in hopes that would fix it. It didn't.

I partially figured it out, but it requires editing the registry. Editing the...

gardenman

Splendid
I hate when companies don't provide a proper uninstaller that removes everything their software installed. It's even worse when they make system changes such as adding folders to Explorer and don't remove them with the uninstall. I just installed Zoho Docs on my test system to see if I could fix this. I was hoping it would be as simple as reinstalling the software and uninstalling it. It's not. It definitely leaves the folder there once you've uninstalled it. The folder displayed on the left of Explorer is stored in the registry, so simply deleting the actual folder won't help.

I partially figured it out, but it requires editing the registry. Editing the registry should not be done if you don't feel safe with doing it. Before editing, you should always make a backup (at least of the part you are editing) and know how to restore it if needed.

Read everything below before starting to be sure you want to go through with it or not.

First, make a full registry backup. Here's the instructions:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

Here's the basic steps I took:
  1. I opened regedit.exe and went to the following key (you can copy/paste this into the toolbar at the top: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\
  2. I right clicked on CLSID and chose Export. I saved it as Backup.reg on the Desktop for now. This is your mini backup if needed.
  3. Next I went to the following key in the registry: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8EDE8175-25AA-4460-ADF9-80D330C0EE64}
  4. Right click on System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree and choose Modify.
  5. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 (that's a Zero) and press OK.
The Zoho Docs should immediately disappear from the left side of the Explorer as you change it.

1.gif

However, you will likely still see it in Browse dialogs and maybe in other locations (you can see it in the picture I posted above when I saved the Backup.reg). I'm not willing to delve into that mess right now. It probably can be removed, but my first attempt failed.

I would write the company and ask them to provide a proper uninstall utility.

Last edited:
Solution

OJDylan

Commendable
May 31, 2016

I partially figured it out, but it requires editing the registry. Editing the registry should not be done if you don't feel safe with doing it. Before editing, you should always make a backup (at least of the part you are editing) and know how to restore it if needed.

Read everything below before starting to be sure you want to go through with it or not.

First, make a full registry backup. Here's the instructions:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

Here's the basic steps I took:
  1. I opened regedit.exe and went to the following key (you can copy/paste this into the toolbar at the top: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\
  2. I right clicked on CLSID and chose Export. I saved it as Backup.reg on the Desktop for now. This is your mini backup if needed.
  3. Next I went to the following key in the registry: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8EDE8175-25AA-4460-ADF9-80D330C0EE64}
  4. Right click on System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree and choose Modify.
  5. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 (that's a Zero) and press OK.
The Zoho Docs should immediately disappear from the left side of the Explorer as you change it.

1.gif

However, you will likely still see it in Browse dialogs and maybe in other locations (you can see it in the picture I posted above when I saved the Backup.reg). I'm not willing to delve into that mess right now. It probably can be removed, but my first attempt failed.

I would write the company and ask them to provide a proper uninstall utility.
Thanks for the help, though it's not perfect it did solve the problem for now.