[SOLVED] How do I set slave and master on my drives.

crchisholm

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
I have a 7yo Win7 computer that has performed reasonably well, but I want to upgrade it to win 10 and add some more storage by adding a new 2tb drive and an SSD drive that will be used as the boot drive. I have not done this for many years and when last I did, I had to worry about jumpers to make one drive the master and everything else the slave using jumpers. The newer drives don't have jumpers so I am not sure how to set this up.

Old computer was simply a 1tb drive that was called C.
The new configuration will be a 500GB drive as C, a 2TB HD as D and the old 1TB as E. How do I indicate what is the master (boot) drive and how the others are used. i have the drives installed and connected, but need to make sure I know what I am do;ing before turning the computer on.

Sorry, I have never been a very strong hardware guy.

Charlie

Solution
so naming the drives and setting up the boot drive is done in BIOS?
Naming is done in Windows. Setting boot drive is done in BIOS. When you install windows, you want ONLY the drive you intend to be your C: drive connected. That way the installer doesn't get confused and you don't accidentally install incorrectly.
Here is Tom's step-by-step for doing a clean Windows 10 install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

kanewolf

Titan
I have a 7yo Win7 computer that has performed reasonably well, but I want to upgrade it to win 10 and add some more storage by adding a new 2tb drive and an SSD drive that will be used as the boot drive. I have not done this for many years and when last I did, I had to worry about jumpers to make one drive the master and everything else the slave using jumpers. The newer drives don't have jumpers so I am not sure how to set this up.

Old confusion was simply a 1tb drive that was called C.
The new configuration will be a .5gb SSD drive as C, a 2TB HD as D and the old 1TB as E. How do I indicate what is the master (boot) drive and how the others are used. i have the drives installed and connected, but need to make sure I know what I am do;ing before turning the computer on.

Sorry, I have never been a very strong hardware guy.

Charlie
You don't do master/slave with SATA drives. There is a 1-to-1 cabling for SATA drives.

kanewolf

Titan
so naming the drives and setting up the boot drive is done in BIOS?
Naming is done in Windows. Setting boot drive is done in BIOS. When you install windows, you want ONLY the drive you intend to be your C: drive connected. That way the installer doesn't get confused and you don't accidentally install incorrectly.
Here is Tom's step-by-step for doing a clean Windows 10 install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't get me started on com port assignment....

Just plug in the drives. The nice thing about UEFI is that it auto detects boot drives and will automatically label that as C. Any additional drives usually will be assigned as E+, as A is floppy reserved, B is system secure reserved and D is almost always reserved for optical.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
you trying to bring back many many bad memories? i still break out in a cold sweat thinking about chasing down irq conflicts
LOL

Does the same thing to me - trauma should be shared! Kids these days don't realize how easy they have it... we had no Internet to find answers - maybe a BBS, but still - alot to be said for figuring it out yourself.