[SOLVED] How do I tell if the motherboard will support the new ryzen CPUs

Solution
if i got a 3600xt it would work out of the box right?
The B550 board? yes, right out of the box.

The B450 board should support it out of the box...except if it happens to be 'new/old' stock. Most vendors have worked old stock through by now, but there might be some new boards hanging around that have an older BIOS. It's a perfectly good good board but you need an older CPU to do the update. Just so you know as there are some here who've been burned even recently with that, so try to find someone to tell if it's Ryzen 3000 ready or not. If possible.

But defo getting that B550 ROG Strix-F is the best future-proofing option if you have that choice. I really think it's a great board.

kanewolf

Titan
The safest way is to WAIT until the CPUs are released than look at the manufacturer's page for the supported CPU list. That will list what BIOS is required also.
B550s should support, but may require a BIOS update.
B450s depend on the manufacturer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
First has no indication it supports the 4th gen, it has 2nd & 3rd gen CPU in list, so its hard to tell.

Of the two, I would expect this to get bios updates to use the new CPU since it currently only supports gen 3 but as above says, wait and see, Don't buy now

Assuming you mean a Ryzen 5000 series CPU...

The B550 board will definitely support it. The B450 board MIGHT if Asus releases a BIOS for it, but it won't be until some time in January 21 at the earliest.

Both boards would need a BIOS update to run it.

Apr 26, 2020
Assuming you mean a Ryzen 5000 series CPU...

The B550 board will definitely support it. The B450 board MIGHT if Asus releases a BIOS for it, but it won't be until some time in January 21 at the earliest.

Both boards would need a BIOS update to run it.

Apr 26, 2020
The safest way is to WAIT until the CPUs are released than look at the manufacturer's page for the supported CPU list. That will list what BIOS is required also.
B550s should support, but may require a BIOS update.
B450s depend on the manufacturer.

I am not buying the new CPUs I am just asking for future proofing so I don't have to buy a new mobo when I upgrade.
so would waiting be the better option still?

The B550 board? yes, right out of the box.

The B450 board should support it out of the box...except if it happens to be 'new/old' stock. Most vendors have worked old stock through by now, but there might be some new boards hanging around that have an older BIOS. It's a perfectly good good board but you need an older CPU to do the update. Just so you know as there are some here who've been burned even recently with that, so try to find someone to tell if it's Ryzen 3000 ready or not. If possible.

But defo getting that B550 ROG Strix-F is the best future-proofing option if you have that choice. I really think it's a great board.

Reactions: egda23
Solution