[SOLVED] How do I update bios to support ryzen 5000 without a cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_K7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
I just recently bought an asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 mobo. I'm planning to get the new ryzen 5600x but I don't have an old amd cpu to check bios version or to update the bios. How do I go about making sure the bios is the latest driver that will support the 5600x. Is there a way to flash the mobo without a cpu from a USB?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
There is no way of knowing what BIOS version is installed on your motherboard without a CPU installed. If the 5600X doesn't boot in this motherboard, then one can assume that a BIOS update is required. I check your User Manual and did not find any BIOS Flashback function.

-Wolf sends

Steve_K7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
Im not sure but you should check if the mobo has integrated graphics from there if it has take a usb go to the mobo maker download the lates update and flash the mobo

so is it possible to post without a cpu? Or do I put the cpu in then enter bios from there and flash from a USB? Sry if this is a noob question.

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
"Select motherboards are designed to support “USB BIOS Flashback,” which allows for BIOS updates from a flash drive—even if the current BIOS on the motherboard does not have the software code to boot a new processor. Some motherboards can even update the BIOS when there’s no CPU in the socket at all. Such motherboards feature special hardware to enable USB BIOS Flashback, and every manufacturer has a unique procedure to execute USB BIOS Flashback. Customers are encouraged to determine if their motherboard supports USB BIOS Flashback and, if yes, follow the update steps described in the motherboard’s support documentation."

Reactions: Steve_K7

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
"Select motherboards are designed to support “USB BIOS Flashback,” which allows for BIOS updates from a flash drive—even if the current BIOS on the motherboard does not have the software code to boot a new processor. Some motherboards can even update the BIOS when there’s no CPU in the socket at all. Such motherboards feature special hardware to enable USB BIOS Flashback, and every manufacturer has a unique procedure to execute USB BIOS Flashback. Customers are encouraged to determine if their motherboard supports USB BIOS Flashback and, if yes, follow the update steps described in the motherboard’s support documentation."
That's from AMD

Steve_K7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
There is no way of knowing what BIOS version is installed on your motherboard without a CPU installed. If the 5600X doesn't boot in this motherboard, then one can assume that a BIOS update is required. I check your User Manual and did not find any BIOS Flashback function.

-Wolf sends
So is there a solution to this without me having to get another cpu to boot and update the bios?

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
I am very sorry I thought it was but it wasn't it appears that Asrock has no such function, according to Asrock the only option you have is to install the cpu and run bios after installing, it will run as the bios for an earlier cpu like a R7 or R5 but after the bios update it's done then you'll experience the true potential of the new bios for the newest cpu. My apologies

Steve_K7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
I am very sorry I thought it was but it wasn't it appears that Asrock has no such function, according to Asrock the only option you have is to install the cpu and run bios after installing, it will run as the bios for an earlier cpu like a R7 or R5 but after the bios update it's done then you'll experience the true potential of the new bios for the newest cpu. My apologies

so it is possible to post with the new cpu installed? Even if the bios isn't updated to the lastest version. And update the bios after?

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
I was reading some stuff around about Asrock and their bios updates... you should wait a couple of weeks or even a month before uodating bios for the new cpu, also Win 10 updates are getting a lot of mobos bricked...should be careful, that's the best I can say and once again I am terribly sorry for the mistake

Steve_K7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
I was reading some stuff around about Asrock and their bios updates... you should wait a couple of weeks or even a month before uodating bios for the new cpu, also Win 10 updates are getting a lot of mobos bricked...should be careful, that's the best I can say and once again I am terribly sorry for the mistake

no worries, thanks anyways. do you have any recommendations for any b550 or x 570 boards that I can instant flash and use with the new cpu?

PiVO 7717

Reputable
Aug 18, 2019
I got an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi, it does have USB Flashback, all you had to do is get the update on a clean usb (nothing inside apart from the update) put it in the usb slot that says USB flashback, press a little red bottom next to it and it will start updating the bios

Wolfshadw

Titan
so it is possible to post with the new cpu installed? Even if the bios isn't updated to the lastest version. And update the bios after?
Again, there's really no way of telling. Even without a BIOS update the system MIGHT post to the point where you can update the BIOS, but I would not count on that. Honestly, your best bet is to take the board to a local PC shop and have them update the BIOS (if necessary).

-Wolf sends

Pytheus

Prominent
Oct 28, 2020
Got my Ryzen 5600x and was able to update my ASUS B550-F mobo bios with the EzFlash feature. Can insert a USB drive with the bios update in the back and press a button, it flashed for a minute or two then was done. Didn't need to power on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.