How do you know when to up the Vcore?

ImmortalDragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I just put together my new PC. I've never overclocked before but I wanted to up my system a little, not much. I have a E6320 with 2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM. I got the FSB up to 1333mhz so it reaches a 1:1 ratio. I believe it runs at around 2.3 ghz now, I do not plan to overclock past this.
When I did this I didn't really know what the Vcore was and I just finished reading about the basics of it. I have it set to the default setting right now, how do I know if I should increase it or not?

Bungsta

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
download prime 95, and run the torture test over night (at least 8 hours). If you don't have any errors at all, then you are pretty much as stable as you can be (as far as your cpu and memory go) so you won't need to up the vcore. If you get an error, try bumping up the vcore a little and test it again.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
download prime 95, and run the torture test over night (at least 8 hours). If you don't have any errors at all, then you are pretty much as stable as you can be (as far as your cpu and memory go) so you won't need to up the vcore. If you get an error, try bumping up the vcore a little and test it again.

...and if it's stable @ your current vcore setting, try lowering it and repeat. You can find cooler load/idle temps with lower vcores so long as their stable.