How hard would it be for an IT Professional to make bulbs smart?

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
If not from scratch atleast how to convert a normal to smart one... I know it's a very very big topic but sometimes things are easy if come from Top to Bottom. Like you are buying a car and slowly learn about it.

kanewolf

Titan
If not from scratch atleast how to convert a normal to smart one... I know it's a very very big topic but sometimes things are easy if come from Top to Bottom. Like you are buying a car and slowly learn about it.
What do you define as "smart"? Color changing? Or just On/Off?
Lets stay simple and talk "on/off". You would need a radio receiver of some kind, it could be WIFI, Z-Wave, or Zigbee (3 most common). You would then have to have a relay that can handle mains voltage. You would need a power supply from the mains voltage to power your radio and you would program it to operate the relay. ALL of these things are already being done by many companies commercially.

I thought it is as simple as soldering a chip... Not like that aa?
No, because chips don't come with the software to know how to interact with Alexa or anything. And no, you can't download a software package to make it work, because I'm pretty sure Amazon charges a license to have Alexa support.

As mentioned, get a smart light socket or a smart power strip if you want a "dumb" bulb be "smart".

Honestly if you're coming to a forum like this and asking the questions that you are, a project like making a regular light bulb into a smart one from more or less scratch is way over your head. I'm not even sure from your posts if you have any embedded systems experience that would be a requirement for this kind of project.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are interested in that kind of stuff it isn't a huge hurdle to get into these days.

https://www.seeedstudio.com/Seeed-X...MI-rL15ITKhQMViUpHAR3UUQiaEAQYASABEgIvJvD_BwE

Standalone you can build this using simple single LEDs so you can test out your code and functionality.

Moving over to a light bulb would mean some sort of mains power relay or an off the shelf solid state dimmer circuit. Certainly more educational then just buying the working products and setting them up.

Zigbee is another good rabbit hole as mentioned earlier. Quite a few older and even more recent smart home setups that use that standard.