How long can I run a CPU without a heatsink and fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
I going to buy and processor and install it without a heat sink and fan just to see if the CPU is compatible with my computer setup.

I have decided to let my computer run for 5 minutes including booting and shut off.

Can I do this without harming the processor?

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
I remember that Intel has this address with it step technology; it will slow down and even shut itself off if temperature gets too hot; but I was interested in the amount of time this might happen or occur.

Just want to have a time measurement so I can protect the processor before this shutting down happens.

Akrobby

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I'm new here, and joined to get information on building my first computer from parts, but even I know, you can tear up a processor in about 10 seconds without cooling. This is a joke, right?

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
No; I just thought that it would be safe since it an Intel CPU! But now I will just place the heatsink and fan on the CPU without thermal paste. That should work for 5 minutes run to see if the CPU is compatible with my Computer in general.

No you can't. If you don't know if your parts are compatible, you need to do more research.

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
"No you can't. If you don't know if your parts are compatible, you need to do more research."

I got it from the source and they don't care to say if it is compatible or not - The source happens to be Intel technical support team!
Who else do you want me to contact?

I am doing the research right now by buying the processor and trying it out!

Hazle

Distinguished
seriously, listen to the people here. unless you want to risk wasting away your money all for naught, there's a heckuva lot of info actually available online on hardware compatibility. a quick google of the processor for chipset/socket compatibility and the motherboard for required BIOS for said processor compatibility, and you're done, free of charge, in just 5 minutes at worst.

just tell us your CPU and motherboard. simple as that.

I agree. Todays processors create so much waste heat that it will only take a few seconds for it to go into thermal shut down. Running a CPU without a fan and heatsink is a sure fire way to fry your CPU and when it's fried you can argue with Intel all you want but they aren't going to replace it.

Daniel. although Curtis`s stori is really cool, last saturday I bought a great new Subaru Impreza since getting a check for $6756 this-last/month and would you believe, ten/k this past month. without a question it is the most-financially rewarding Ive had. I began this 6 months ago and straight away startad bringin in minimum $71, p/h. I went to this site..WWW.GoogleJob1.MEL7.COM

So sick of your spamming crap

images

Post the part number on here, it should say what it is on the box.

If you know the make and model of your motherboard, we'll be able to tell you if they are compatible.

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Daniel. although Curtis`s stori is really cool, last saturday I bought a great new Subaru Impreza since getting a check for $6756 this-last/month and would you believe, ten/k this past month. without a question it is the most-financially rewarding Ive had. I began this 6 months ago and straight away startad bringin in minimum $71, p/h. I went to this site..WWW.GoogleJob1.MEL7.COM

Watch out! He'll make 35 cents if you click it!

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
If you just want to test if the motherboard and processor is working, YES you can do that without the heatsink and fan but I suggest you only do it less than a minute. Second, you would be halted even before the BIOS page because the motherboard will automatically detect if you plugged the CPU FAN in the header, it won't proceed if you don't plug that in there but you can turn the system on and reach that warning

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-70820

Small Form Factor (2x3) with Intel Q45 and ICH10DO chipset
Supports Intel Core™ 2 Duo processor with 2MB, 3MB, 4MB or 6MB L2 cache
Supports Intel Core™ 2 Quad processor with 6MB or 12MB L2 cache
Supports Intel Celeron® processor with 512KB L2 Cache
Supports Intel Celeron® Dual Core processor with 512KB L2 cache
Supports Intel Pentium® Dual Core processor with 1MB or 2MB L2 cache

So yes it'll work if the lenovo info is correct.

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012

I think it will too! Thanks for your help. I now have to decide if I want to shellout $350! The truth is I don't need it; but would love to have it because it was something that I wanted to have years back. I ponder it tonight and decide upon it in the afternoon.

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
No, no, no and no
- Never run a modern CPU without it's heat-sink. (Even if it supports it as a feature).
- It might be OK, but it may damage the chip.

Without the fan is OK for short periods of if the system is idle.

I disagree compleatly. I would never apply power to a computer without the fan/heasink in place, PERIOD, not for less than a nimute or a few seconds. It doesn't take a minute for a CPU to overheat and possibly damage the chip; it only takes a few seconds. Like I said I would never power on a computer without the fan/heatsink in place, end of story.

Reactions: Mattcolpitts

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012

CPUs generate a lot of heat quickly! It would be efficient to figure some way to use this heat productively! Some future Edison will figure it out; I sure!

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

It doesn't take an edison to figure out that heated water = steam = moves electrical generators -> electricity -> powering computer -> inefficient power lines -> heat -> err wait.... what were we talking about again?

:D

The amount of thermal energy required to build up enough steam pressure to spin a turbine is immense. The internal temperatures of boilers reach hundreds of degrees centigrade and the pressure reaches hundreds of PSI. There's no efficient way to condense heat that doesn't involve wasting more energy in the process, so the small amount of thermal energy produced by a CPU would be useless unless it is allowed to build up to the point where it damages the CPU.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

I would think that people would get that I was joking about that especially with the smiley face and the mentioning of power lines .... But yep! ^generating electricity 101 right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.