[SOLVED] How many support engineers would be required to handle these requirements?

Nov 26, 2020
Hi,

I belongs to software development industry, networking is a new field for me, my customer wants me to hire networking experts for the requirements mentioned below. (detailed requirements attached)

S: NoServicesCount
1. Virtual Machines (Window & Linux)60
2. MS SQL Management5
3. Firewall VM (In HA) - Barracuda NG Firewall Version 7.02
4. Azure SQL PaaS instances2
5. Azure Backup Management62
6. Azure Security Center62
7. VAPTExternal IP 1 & Internal IP 1 (Assumption)
8. VPN3

I would really appreciate if you share your expert opinion to answer following questions:
  1. how many people can manage this all?
  2. Manager/Team lead would be required?
  3. What certifications should i keep in mind before hiring right candidate?

Thank you! detailed requirements

Solution
And how much are you going to pay us forum users to do the job you are being paid for.

This is not really a network project only a tiny part of it is network it is mostly server and application functions.

The actual answer to your question is call up managed service companies like HP or Dell or one of the other IT outsourcing companies. Almost all IT has been moved to these companies. Only extremely small companies that attempt to do it themselves because they can't afford to hire either a company or people.

You need too many people with specialized knowledge but you only need a fraction of the work time from each. You really need to hire only part of a persons work week in each area. This is why you go to outsourcing...
And how much are you going to pay us forum users to do the job you are being paid for.

This is not really a network project only a tiny part of it is network it is mostly server and application functions.

The actual answer to your question is call up managed service companies like HP or Dell or one of the other IT outsourcing companies. Almost all IT has been moved to these companies. Only extremely small companies that attempt to do it themselves because they can't afford to hire either a company or people.

You need too many people with specialized knowledge but you only need a fraction of the work time from each. You really need to hire only part of a persons work week in each area. This is why you go to outsourcing companies. They can have a person work on mulitple contracts so their time is better utilized. You have to be a very large company to have enough work to keep your own IT staff busy. Even large companies that could do it themselves have outsourced even though it cost more....some crazy stuff about how employees vs outsourced labor is counted on taxes.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I belongs to software development industry, networking is a new field for me, my customer wants me to hire networking experts for the requirements mentioned below. (detailed requirements attached)

So you're being paid as the Project Manager, but you don't actually know what you're doing.

OK.

Both you and your customer are on the path to total failure. After spending a LOT of money.

Many of us here could actually spec this out. But you couldn't afford us.

Hi,

S: NoServicesCount
1. Virtual Machines (Window & Linux)60
2. MS SQL Management5
3. Firewall VM (In HA) - Barracuda NG Firewall Version 7.02
4. Azure SQL PaaS instances2
5. Azure Backup Management62
6. Azure Security Center62
7. VAPTExternal IP 1 & Internal IP 1 (Assumption)
8. VPN3

I would really appreciate if you share your expert opinion to answer following questions:
  1. how many people can manage this all?
  2. Manager/Team lead would be required?
  3. What certifications should i keep in mind before hiring right candidate?
Thank you! detailed requirements
you can call up microsoft sales support and ask questions
Contact Sales | Microsoft Azure
they should be able to give you estimates on ratios of admins to machines. They could also give you an idea of what microsoft certification to be looking for to screen hires.

Most likely they will point you to Microsoft whitepapers on each subject.
stuff like White Papers, Reports, and E-Books | Microsoft Azure

it is really hard to say how many people it will take. 60 virtual machines would not be hard if they were only one or two images and did not require a lot of tweaks after they were set up.

Nov 26, 2020
guys thanks for your valuable responses, i am here just to get rough idea how many number of people would be required, its for sure i would be hiring related managers and junior staff for this. not going to manage this all myself.

as an entrepreneur, I want some figures so that I can decide is it a good idea to hire a team or not?

D

Deleted member 14196

Then read the responses above. You probably aren’t going to be able to afford to hire them anyway so your best bet is outsourcing

I'd ask this on reddit homelab or servethehome since people there run these on home setups and manage them themselves.

If you're a startup, it's best to just do this in the cloud at first and then look to onsite with the roi is there. Spending on stuff like this from the getgo is a way to blow money.