How Much Did Those AOL CDs Cost? A Lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
When my dad cut off internet thinking it wasn't necessary to save money, i used one of those 6-month discs to extend my life further, sure it was dialup but it was better than nothing.

AOL helped me through 6 months of my life.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
I must have received at least 50 or more back in the day. Every time they updated the AOL software they sent one. I always got trial disks even though we paid for the services. They would also send one for different members of the household. It was ridiculous. They made ok, coasters for the computer desk so no liquid stains on the wood. I know someone who made ornaments out of them (go figure). Those were the days of highly contrasting colorful webpages. Yahoo was ugly as shit back then. I believe there is a site that shows you what different websites looked like back then, but I don't remember what it is.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]InTheCity[/nom]Nice way to waste a butt load of oil. Douchebags.[/citation]
A handful of highly efficient Prius cars would consume far more oil than producing all those discs. Considering most people don't drive vehicles nearly as efficient, I'd say it's a bit hypocritical to criticize a major corporation for their marketing efforts when the criticizee is consuming more oil for their own personal uses.

Let's not forget that AOL played a major role in developing the internet for mass appeal. In the mid 90's if you wanted the internet you usually got AOL. I still remember the day they stopped charging by the minute and gave everyone unlimited use. It took forever to get through to their overloaded network....but unlimited internet access, mmmmm now it it's hard to believe we used to pay by the minute!

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I remember back in the day i created a program that would automate their "invitation" feature which allowed you to send trial cd's to a specified address. Good times, good times.

To think i was only 10 years old..

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Being from Europe and old enough to remember the 90's this article takes me back to a time when indeed at least weekly i got a disk from an ISP of some sort or another. AOL was far from limited to the united states though granted i only got a disk from them about once each month (every magazine had one folded in). The others where from 'het net', 'Ilse', 'zon net' and 'planet internet' et cetera. Some providers where kind enough to provide some use full tools on their spam CD-ROM's like the newest versions of IE Netscape and later even Eudora and updates for common software as well as adobe reader and such. When they first start shipping them there was little to no use full software on them so i usually dumped them in the bin pretty fast however later on i would keep a stack around to give to friends who needed the updates or software on them since the CD-ROM's and floppy's that where actually loaded with shareware and demo's that came with the same magazines usually had one or two interesting things on them i wanted to keep around myself.

AOL was a big, really big back in the day, and I guess they should be credited for getting a huge number of people online when when being online was merely a curiosity or novelty. Too bad they didn't spend as much money improving their service and network speed. Although they started out pretty good. They quickly turned into a crawling slow online service that was geared to do one thing, shove as many advertisements into your face as your dial up modem could handle. It was just awful. Half the time you could not even connect because all the servers were busy, and if you could connect, the speed you connected was a complete toss up. How many of you remember setting the list and order of phone numbers to try and connect too when you wanted to sign on? Believe it or not, my parents still have AOL with a 56k modem dial-up connection. They use it everyday! I too must have gotten at least 50 of those disks, floppy and CD both.
They were great to level uneven table legs.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]jitpublisher[/nom]How many of you remember setting the list and order of phone numbers to try and connect too when you wanted to sign on?[/citation]

lol, I remember having to call into another city often because my local city was usually too flooded to connect to. They did start to improve eventually, but they never changed their business model towards high speed internet which was really their greatest downfall. I was one of the few that kept their service even after getting a different ISP to have faster DSL access, but they still charged $18 a month which was ridiculous considering all I was using it for was their chat rooms/profiles, (which before myspace/facebook this was about the best you could get.

I still remember fighting with a friend over talking to some girl from across the country. Then she sent us a picture and we stopped fighting haha. Oh the good ol' days of the early internet!

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]lol, I remember having to call into another city often because my local city was usually too flooded to connect to. They did start to improve eventually, but they never changed their business model towards high speed internet which was really their greatest downfall. I was one of the few that kept their service even after getting a different ISP to have faster DSL access, but they still charged $18 a month which was ridiculous considering all I was using it for was their chat rooms/profiles, (which before myspace/facebook this was about the best you could get.I still remember fighting with a friend over talking to some girl from across the country. Then she sent us a picture and we stopped fighting haha. Oh the good ol' days of the early internet![/citation]

One of the biggest annoyances I remember was their way of talking 56k up like it was a huge upgrade. Really? Even back then I was underwhelmed as they threw up excuse after excuse on why it was taking so long.
Yes lack of ability to update their network killed them IMO. In full disclosure my wife was still on dial up AOL when I started dating her. I duly convinced her to spend the bucks for att dsl, later we got married, nuff said.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
My brother got lots of them he put it on the basement wall so when you point a flashlight on pitch dark it reflects the light, makes the room alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.