Question How much proccessor power is required for transcoding 1080p and 4k on nas

Brijesh Sundi

Distinguished
May 14, 2014
I am going to build a NAS with this components(old pc):

mobo:GA-H61MS
proccessor:i3-3220
ram:16gb(8x2)(1333mhz)
graphics card:geforce 210(1gb)

do I need more proccessing power like i5-3450 or i7-3770?

I will be going to install OMV(openmediavault) in it but it has some instruction regarding watch movies on plex/jellyfin(probably I will be using jellyfin)
I have heard of transcoding in plex require more proccessing power and I just want to watch 1080p/4k(x246,x256,HEVC without buffering) movies directly on phones with 5-6 users watching at the same time via wifi as well as on 4k TV

any other up-gradation is required then let me know!!!!

I just want to watch 1080p/4k(x246,x256,HEVC without buffering) movies directly on phones with 5-6 users watching at the same time via wifi as well as on 4k TV
If you are just going to send the movies to the devices as they are then you don't need any transcoding, you just need a really good internal network that can handle so much data and so many connections at the same time.
If you need to transcode a movie to 6 different resolutions for the 6 different devices then God help you.
If the transcoding is just to adapt the movie bitrate to what your network can handle then the iGPU of your CPU can handle that with quick sync video.

Brijesh Sundi

Distinguished
May 14, 2014
Build the media server anyway and test without transcoding. Unless you're using devices that are more than 7-8 years old, they'll all support H.264 and H.265 natively and the only thing you need to be concerned about is network throughput.
I can manage to limit the user but i really need for 4k TV to watch 4k movies from the nas and at least 1 -2 users watching movies via plex/jellyfin(on the fly from my nas)

sorry for my english its really bad

I can manage to limit the user but i really need for 4k TV to watch 4k movies from the nas and at least 1 -2 users watching movies via plex/jellyfin(on the fly from my nas)

sorry for my english its really bad
If your media isn't 4K, then that's fine. Transcoding it to 4K is, quite frankly, a waste of time because it won't really increase the quality and if you have a halfway decent TV, it'll upscale it and do some processing to make it look cleaner anyway.

Also not asking you to limit the users. I'm suggesting to do a test anyway to see how many users your network setup can support without transcoding. You may not actually have a problem, but you need to verify that.

Reactions: Brijesh Sundi