[SOLVED] How much to tighten my ryzen 5 2600x cooler

Solution
the screws should be "firm" and if u try to rock it 360 it shouldnt have any movement.

also remember to do it diagonal at a time (so top left then bottom right then other two) and dont tighten them allway 1 at a time. alternate so you have equal pressure across entire part.

oh..and you CAN overtighten one and it isnt so much "breaking" your MB as damaging the pathways (as they are pretty close to the surface so a nut digging into it from being too tight can cause serious damage)

cactusgames14

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018

So should I tighten it until the cooler is like stiff and not moving and I won’t have problems like breaking my motherboard bc one youtubers said don’t worry about over tightening it bc u can’t

cactusgames14

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018

Yea I’m just gonna do till where cooler is like not moving from the spot and should I try to wiggle it to see if it’s like our not moving

the screws should be "firm" and if u try to rock it 360 it shouldnt have any movement.

also remember to do it diagonal at a time (so top left then bottom right then other two) and dont tighten them allway 1 at a time. alternate so you have equal pressure across entire part.

oh..and you CAN overtighten one and it isnt so much "breaking" your MB as damaging the pathways (as they are pretty close to the surface so a nut digging into it from being too tight can cause serious damage)

Solution

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
You would literally have to put your whole body into going past the stopping point. With Ryzen it is very easy. The screw just won't turn any more from normal pressure. Make sure both sides have stopped turning and you're done. Intel was normally the one that could have possible problems with over tightening of select CPUs. I'm not so sure if that's really such an issue any more.