How often do you buy video games in a year?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ben Harley

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
Wow it really made me think how much I have changed over the years. When I was a teenager I used to get 10-12 games a month. Story mode single players and multi-players both.
And now I hardy buy any new game. Just keep playing siege and COD these days. :)

D

Deleted member 14196

None. I subscribe to Xbox live and the give me games every month. Lol I don’t game much though

according to my steam account

2019 6 games
2018 263 games
2017 17 games

That doesnt include any stray games i may have picked up outside of steam which may only account for 4-5 games over the past 3 years.

I don't get many games bc my parents are poor but after I get my money I plan to buy games more frequently but noticed that I am more careful planning out if I want x game or not which I'm usually not picky with what game I get so it's definitely new.

If I had to choose a number tho probably like 10-20 (in a year usually spread across months)

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Maybe 2-3.... I used to buy 10-20 with the steam sales, but I just dont have time, o I have XBOX LIve Game Pass and play those or Apex Legends. I have such a big back catalog of steam games to play though....

southrncomfort

Prominent
Mar 27, 2018
It changes depending on stage of life... i get a few on Steam special but was big into it .. then had kids ... bye bye gametime for 10 years ....lol

qazihashmi74

Honorable
Sep 30, 2018
I don't buy games since I don't have the money to buy nor do I have a credit card. So I just grab repacks of games and download around 50-100 games a year(minimum).
I am planning of buying all my favorite games even if i have their repacks in my computer. Just to support the developers and help them continue making good games.

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
I'd say around 3-5 a year and that's with me being picky. This year I picked up two racing games, DOOM 2016 and BFV. DOOM Eternal in November will be my fifth

There are only 3 franchises that I buy a game on launch day. The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Doom. Otherwise I wait for big sales. As a result I don't buy many games. I went on a little bit of a spree when I got my VR headset, but in general 5 or so a year. Gone are the days of 30 games a year.

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
There are only 3 franchises that I buy a game on launch day. The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Doom. Otherwise I wait for big sales. As a result I don't buy many games. I went on a little bit of a spree when I got my VR headset, but in general 5 or so a year. Gone are the days of 30 games a year.

Fallout is something I need to get into.... I just finished up the last Wolfenstein so I think I might get Fallout 3/vegas/4 to complete before Eternal.

Sep 5, 2019
I tend to play open world and strategy games, the nature of the games means that there's so many ways to play so I end up playing the games over and over again.

Command & conquer red alert 2 / yuris revenge - this was my go-to game and I exhaused it but lately it has issues where if I alt-tab. I cannot reopen it and lose my progress entirely so I've stopped playing

Civ 5

Rust

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Unless you count the windows xp license i bought on ebay for $3 to play space pinball.

Space Cadet Pinball?! Loved that game.. My little sis & I used to exchange High scores when She lived 3 states away. Good memories.

As for buying games, I can count on 1 hand the # of games I have bought in the past 5 years and I very rarely buy new release games. I just can't justify spending $60 on a game that's gonna have a "Paid" DLC a month later, adding content that really shoulda been part of the base game to begin with. I'm also a poor family man, so there's that too lol.. That being said, I did buy the Division 2 this year back in July as a b-day prez to myself and earlier this month I bought RDR2 for the PC. Otherwise, I favor RPG's and so tend to replay games over&over&over&over.. lol... (Here's looking at you POE, Skyrim & Fallout 4 :) )

Just started playing Terminator: Resistance. This is easily the best Terminator title yet, it's the only one that captures the feel of the franchise. It has great stealth and survival horror elements. There's lots of scavenging, crafting, and trading you can do, and it plays like an RPG with good voicing and dialog.

It's labeled a FPS, but it's every bit as much an Action- RPG Survival Horror game. It's based on the "Future War" talked about in the first two movies. These are side characters not contained in the movie stories, but the music and set pieces are there. The maps are pretty well designed in such that you can choose multiple routes and tactics.

The graphics are a bit blurry, even with max settings, but it's pretty easy to bring it up to today's standards with a simple file edit. The one I use I found on yekbot.com, and it not only makes the game look amazing, there's no lag if you avoid the last two lines ([ConsoleVariables] r.ScreenPercentage=125 ).

Install instructions in video description.

Pinball-Wizard

Honorable
Feb 15, 2015
After having a spinal cord injury and being confined to a wheel chair whereby not able to get out n about nearly as much during the Winter months here in Ohio, I restarted getting back into pc games.

Before doing so I was told its best to upgrade my pc which was a Dell E521 from 2007 and I quickly realized it wasn't worth upgrading and so started from scratch to build my own.

Asus Z-97A motherboard
Intel i5 4690K processor
Evga 600 watt power supply
16g of Ram
Evga 1060 SC 3g graphics card
Sata 1TB hard drive

I initially installed Windows 10 and quickly found it was nothing more than microsoft's ever-increasing agendas to push more and more spyware on us as well as I had nothing but ridiculous problems with update fails and then having to deal with the barely-speaking-English poor excuses for customer service at microsoft who did nothing to fix it and then just kept telling me to reinstall their operating system and see if that helps which it never did. Even after I got it to accept more of the failed updates, I then found that it had nothing but problem after problem with playing pc games that were on CD/DVD from the manufacture.... I DONT DO Steam or sites like them since they were forcing me to be connected to the internet and be logged in to their website with EVERY game and at EVERY time I launched the game which I PAID FOR and was downloaded on MY pc!

I then went to Windows 8.1 64-bit since microsoft said no more security updates or other support for my beloved Windows 7 after Jan 14th 2020 and although updates went a bit better for me with Windows 8.1, I still often have a bit of problems with PC games regardless of what how-to's I follow to fix the problems

So after buying quite a few games for the pc and having a ridiculous amount of hassle with them and microsoft's poor excuse for an operating sytem, I'm not buying any more games and will be looking into a PS4 whereby when I had my PS2 I NEVER had ANY problems...I stuck in a disc and IT PLAYED

Apr 9, 2019
After having a spinal cord injury and being confined to a wheel chair whereby not able to get out n about nearly as much during the Winter months here in Ohio, I restarted getting back into pc games.

Before doing so I was told its best to upgrade my pc which was a Dell E521 from 2007 and I quickly realized it wasn't worth upgrading and so started from scratch to build my own.

Asus Z-97A motherboard
Intel i5 4690K processor
Evga 600 watt power supply
16g of Ram
Evga 1060 SC 3g graphics card
Sata 1TB hard drive

I initially installed Windows 10 and quickly found it was nothing more than microsoft's ever-increasing agendas to push more and more spyware on us as well as I had nothing but ridiculous problems with update fails and then having to deal with the barely-speaking-English poor excuses for customer service at microsoft who did nothing to fix it and then just kept telling me to reinstall their operating system and see if that helps which it never did. Even after I got it to accept more of the failed updates, I then found that it had nothing but problem after problem with playing pc games that were on CD/DVD from the manufacture.... I DONT DO Steam or sites like them since they were forcing me to be connected to the internet and be logged in to their website with EVERY game and at EVERY time I launched the game which I PAID FOR and was downloaded on MY pc!

I then went to Windows 8.1 64-bit since microsoft said no more security updates or other support for my beloved Windows 7 after Jan 14th 2020 and although updates went a bit better for me with Windows 8.1, I still often have a bit of problems with PC games regardless of what how-to's I follow to fix the problems

So after buying quite a few games for the pc and having a ridiculous amount of hassle with them and microsoft's poor excuse for an operating sytem, I'm not buying any more games and will be looking into a PS4 whereby when I had my PS2 I NEVER had ANY problems...I stuck in a disc and IT PLAYED
No idea how you got your self into troubles with win10 updates, it's been straight forward for me so far. your putting yourself into a lot restrictions, if you want drm free games just go to gog, physical is pretty much dead at this point.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
First and foremost I will never argue with someones preference to play on something. If you like to game, game anyway you can that's my mantra. No question console gaming will always be an easier option then that of a PC. Dedicated hardware makes an almost guarantee things will just work. Especially when its designed for a specific purpose.

That being said the majority of PC gamers getting things to just work isn't enough. People to choose to PC game a lot of the time to gain experiences they can't have on console. If it be the controls of a mouse and keyboard, the higher graphical fidelity or just the type of games they play. That being said the barrier of entry to get there is a lot higher and can be difficult and often frustrating. I remember that frustration pushing me to console gaming a few years back.

But Windows on its own should not be enough to drive you away from PC gaming. Many games now work with Linux, with some clever well put together guides you should be able to get many of the popular windows based games working on Linux. That being said it would come with some difficulty. As most of these games were not meant to play on other Operating Systems. But thats also a part of the appeal (for at least some) with pcs, the customization they offer.

Can't help you with your problems with digital based games. Eventually that will be the future. Even your disc based games on console much of the time need to connect to the internet to download missing content to play. To each their own I suppose.

Reactions: Papaija

computer_brilliance

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I tend to buy a few games a year (5-10) and think, unrealistically, that I'll actually have time to play them only to realise very shortly after installing the games that my 3 kids stop me from actually playing the games for any length of time.

This leaves me with the position of having a couple of hundred AAA games that only have a few hours racked up on each of them. It's near soul destroying knowing that they're on my hard drive just waiting to be played.

Anyone else in this position?

TRENDING THREADS