Jun 19, 2020
Hello everybody!
I have a really basic question about how retail licensing works
I mean i want to buy windows vista from ebay (just for nostalgia and because i don't want to mess with funky rando ISOs on the internet) and I'm not really sure how this thing works... I mean I know it's retail because of the box shape but what about the licence? If it was used before, can I still use it? Will it just deactivate the other copy installed on another computer and activate mine?
I know this sounds stupid but I just wanna know :p

Solution
Hello everybody!
I mean i want to buy windows vista from ebay (just for nostalgia and because i don't want to mess with funky rando ISOs on the internet) and I'm not really sure how this thing works... I mean I know it's retail because of the box shape but what about the licence? If it was used before, can I still use it? Will it just deactivate the other copy installed on another computer and activate mine?
If the key is already used and is a oem key it can only be used once. If it is a consumer key it can be used on three pc before the key is locked
Hello everybody!
If the key is already used and is a oem key it can only be used once. If it is a consumer key it can be used on three pc before the key is locked

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Hello everybody!
" I know it's retail because of the box shape"

You have a picture of the box.

Your only real guarantee is if was still factory sealed from MS. How many times has that 'license' already been sold?

Jun 19, 2020
If it is a consumer key it can be used on three pc before the key is locked
well thank you
You have a picture of the box.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Zz0LBfR

the "rectangular" shape means oem
this one is retail and also as far as I can tell it still has the seals
Can you even activate the license for Vista (or XP) anymore?
for xp i don't know but someone activated it last year thru phone so... maybe?
for vista you can as far as I know but even if I can't I still want the official dvds

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Go to images.google.com.
Search for "Windows Vista Ultimate Retail"
Select and save any image you like of the retail box.
Add that image to your EBay sale advertisement.

I think that's the point being made about the "picture of the box". What they show and what you actually get can be two very different things.

Of course, I am curious about that statement on the sticker, "Not to be Sold"... wonder why that is there?

-Wolf sends

Go to images.google.com.
Search for "Windows Vista Ultimate Retail"
Select and save any image you like of the retail box.
Add that image to your EBay sale advertisement.

I think that's the point being made about the "picture of the box". What they show and what you actually get can be two very different things.

Of course, I am curious about that statement on the sticker, "Not to be Sold"... wonder why that is there?

-Wolf sends
The boxes with the not to be sold stickers are normally the orginal recovery oem disc that are only meant to be used by manufacturers the fact that someone has it and is selling it is highly illegal "note this may not be a recovery disc, and may be full copy but at the same time again the one with these stickers are only meant for manufacturing company's not meant for consumers nor consumer sales