[SOLVED] How should I go about lowering temps in this build?

Aug 20, 2020
Here is the video of the PC I'm hoping to build in the future (if this build is not a good one and I should look at other <$900 builds, let me know)

I can't help but notice the absurd CPU temps in parts of the video like 17:30

I'm wondering what I can/could do to lower the temps ?

Solution
For someone who is new to building a PC or even people who have done it dozens of times, check out the site https://pcpartpicker.com/.

There are a lot of example builds for different price ranges as well as different hardware options. Also, the site can be limited to use only Amazon, Newegg or 'any' vendor, just have to set the options. The biggest thing it does is make sure there is compatibility between hardware. Ex: if you choose a CPU, it only recommends motherboards that have the correct socket and support for that processor. Same goes for memory, although nearly all systems today are DDR4, but some can be SO-DIMM (laptop memory) if they are very small motherboards, vs. normal DIMM for desktop.

Just keep in mind that...

Colif

Win 11 Master
How do you read this?
i assume the top line is GPU and 2nd is CPU?
BOzZwyr.jpg

because I have to ask how he gets 110c on a 3600 when their max temp is 95c and they should have turned off at this stage?
note - I did find a few 3600 running that hot but its getting close to max mb should operate at.

how to help cooling? use a case that has a mesh front, don't use the one he has - https://www.nzxt.com/products/h510-matte-white
its clear his cpu isn't getting very much cooling. and is being fed hot air from gpu. I doubt there is much cool air coming through front

get something like this, might cost more but parts will thank you for it - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...d-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-PC-Case/p/CC-9011211-WW

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020
You're asking to find a solution for a PC that you're "hoping" to get one day? Because you will "maybe" use exacts same settings as on that video? I mean... seriously?
Jesus, it's called research... Forums are created for questions to be asked and answers to be given - if you don't want to help, move on.

Aug 20, 2020
How do you read this?
i assume the top line is GPU and 2nd is CPU?
BOzZwyr.jpg

because I have to ask how he gets 110c on a 3600 when their max temp is 95c and they should have turned off at this stage?
note - I did find a few 3600 running that hot but its getting close to max mb should operate at.

how to help cooling? use a case that has a mesh front, don't use the one he has - https://www.nzxt.com/products/h510-matte-white
its clear his cpu isn't getting very much cooling. and is being fed hot air from gpu. I doubt there is much cool air coming through front

get something like this, might cost more but parts will thank you for it - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...d-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-PC-Case/p/CC-9011211-WW
Thank you, appreciate people who actually help

And yes you read the image correctly

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I love people getting pulled into the title of anything 'BEST' that is listed.

The term 'best' is incredibly impartial based on what your personal criteria are - I would argue there are better options for the same budget, so my BEST build would likely be different.

Agree to disagree, though.

Aug 20, 2020
Why would you build using that parts list and case, if you already know it is substandard?

The term 'best' is incredibly impartial based on what your personal criteria are - I would argue there are better options for the same budget, so my BEST build would likely be different.

Yes you both get the idea - I know this build is not the best which is why I'm asking what changes can make it better

I didn't know this was such an odd topic to discuss... I guess I'll keep that in mind for later

Aug 20, 2020

Do you have any suggestions as to what I should look at in the future? This is such an odd forum, I come here asking a basic question and instead get 3 people griping about me and dodging the idea of giving answers just to be passive aggressive... I just want some computer advice

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I think there's also a misunderstanding of what we're trying to explain. "Influencers" are paid to tell people what they should buy - hence all the links are Amazon affiliate links. Being a YouTuber or Twitch Streamer doesn't make someone an automatic guru. They are often asked (or required by contract) to recommend certain hardware instead of others.

To be honest, the build isn't terrible, but its getting to be closer to 1 year since that video was posted. A lot happens quickly in the PC hardware world, so not every recommendation will be viable for all time.

This means that in order to determine what is best for you, a few questions need to be asked:

1. When are you planning build? Realistically? Is this next week, or 4-5 months from now? There are a lot of unknowns in terms of hardware pricing right now due to another recent spike in coin mining.
  2. That 1660 Super card is extremely expensive or difficult to find right now. If you were to buy today, it would possibly be over 50% of that $800 build budget alone. and that's if you can find one in stock. Actually, if you can find any decent mid-range cards...or any that aren't wildly overpriced.
  3. Odd choice of a WD Blue drive in a budget build, although not terrible in price, you could still find cheaper options. Again, are you being influenced to get this because it's on a 'list' of preferred ingredients?
  4. Same with memory. Corsair is pretty decent stuff, but if this is truly a budget build, why not save $10 and get G.Skill or GEIL RAM? Or even that stuff that doesn't have a fancy heat spreader?

Aug 20, 2020
I think there's also a misunderstanding of what we're trying to explain. "Influencers" are paid to tell people what they should buy - hence all the links are Amazon affiliate links. Being a YouTuber or Twitch Streamer doesn't make someone an automatic guru. They are often asked (or required by contract) to recommend certain hardware instead of others.

To be honest, the build isn't terrible, but its getting to be closer to 1 year since that video was posted. A lot happens quickly in the PC hardware world, so not every recommendation will be viable for all time.

This means that in order to determine what is best for you, a few questions need to be asked:

1. When are you planning build? Realistically? Is this next week, or 4-5 months from now? There are a lot of unknowns in terms of hardware pricing right now due to another recent spike in coin mining.
  2. That 1660 Super card is extremely expensive or difficult to find right now. If you were to buy today, it would possibly be over 50% of that $800 build budget alone. and that's if you can find one in stock. Actually, if you can find any decent mid-range cards...or any that aren't wildly overpriced.
  3. Odd choice of a WD Blue drive in a budget build, although not terrible in price, you could still find cheaper options. Again, are you being influenced to get this because it's on a 'list' of preferred ingredients?
  4. Same with memory. Corsair is pretty decent stuff, but if this is truly a budget build, why not save $10 and get G.Skill or GEIL RAM? Or even that stuff that doesn't have a fancy heat spreader?
Cool, appreciate your support

I'll start off saying I've never built anything before - should probably get into the habit of mentioning that before getting into any tech conversations on this forum lol

1. Probably going to build in the summer around June, but if something is wildly on sale, I can buy before then - worst-case scenario (if prices jack up again during that time or something like that) then probably the end of the year

2. Yeah I'm hoping the price of that card (or any card for that matter) will go down sooner than later. Hoping the 1660 Super can come down to at least $250 by June

3. I suppose the answer would be yes, I'm being influenced to buy it - mostly because it makes things easier knowing I have the exact same parts as the guy in the video (assuming I am/would be following his exact directions), but I'm aware changing the SSD does not have any effect on the building process

4. I think as opposed to claiming it's a budget build, it would be more accurate to say I want it to be an easy build. That's the main reason I'm using that video as a hard reference because changing anything significant like the case (which it looks like I'm going to have to do because of the CPU temps) will put more variables and things to consider into making a working, optimized build if I'm using the video as a tutorial. I'm not too aware if changing the case to something like this would make things much more difficult or confusing, but I hope this gives you an idea of my mindset going into this build

currently, I have swapped the RAM with this, which I know is kind of odd since it's the same if not a little more expensive than the given ram in the video, but I figured it would be smarter because of its 3600mhz speed and the fact it's about the same price

here is an alternative SSD I found that, while still by the same company, is faster and $10 cheaper (as long as it stays on sale). If you think this is a good buy then I can buy it right now before the sale goes away, just want some confirmation before doing so

I'm also probably going to add a hard drive like this for regular file storage, and yes I'm aware that extra $55 will probably put me over the <$900 mark

as I mentioned before, I'm considering a case like this for better airflow, but am pretty oblivious about any of its faults or benefits and what I would need to change in the build to suit it, I just saw it as an alternative, front-mesh case that wasn't 2x the price of the h510

Again, thank you for the support - helps a lot

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
For someone who is new to building a PC or even people who have done it dozens of times, check out the site https://pcpartpicker.com/.

There are a lot of example builds for different price ranges as well as different hardware options. Also, the site can be limited to use only Amazon, Newegg or 'any' vendor, just have to set the options. The biggest thing it does is make sure there is compatibility between hardware. Ex: if you choose a CPU, it only recommends motherboards that have the correct socket and support for that processor. Same goes for memory, although nearly all systems today are DDR4, but some can be SO-DIMM (laptop memory) if they are very small motherboards, vs. normal DIMM for desktop.

Just keep in mind that there are many different ways to build a PC for a similar budget - mostly dependent upon what you value the most for the dollars spent on the build.

Example A: If this is a budget gaming PC, memory, CPU and graphics would be a priority and a smaller SSD might suffice for OS with a larger platter HDD for storage.

Example B: If you are a media editor or someone doing a lot of intensive desktop work, GPU is less important and CPU, memory and drive speed would be paramount.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2838871

get something like this, might cost more but parts will thank you for it -

I don't think there's anything more annoying (not talking to you OP, just saying in general) than seeing PC builds where people want the "best/most expensive" components...

... and then go full cheese mode when it comes to cases and cooling solutions.

I see it ALL THE TIME... and it just boggles my mind. I spent $179.99 on an airflow case (Fractal Design Meshify 2) and then spent $279.99 (I could have spent $179.99 on the less aesthetically pleasing X73 version but I wanted the cool digital display) for my NZXT Z73 AIO cooler and yes... my PC thanked me for it and for not being the guy that wanted to put a 10900k system in an NZXT S340 case with a 240mm AIO.

Reactions: Phaaze88

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Most of the time when people say things like:

question: "can you recommend the best <component> for my build"

Us: gives example of best component

question: "OK, that's too expensive, I need the absolute best but it also needs to be the cheapest, I can only pay $20"

Us: so, this isn't a question about the 'best', its a question about your budget and trying to get away with something much less than you want to afford rather than saving to buy what you really want.

Colif

Win 11 Master
... and then go full cheese mode when it comes to cases and cooling solutions.
cases, cooling and PSU. the 3 items left to last as they not as exciting. At least the cases that come with PSU are becoming hard to find. Just as well.

I am opposite, it took me longer to choose a case than any other part of my current PC. And I knew my PSU was going to be a Seasonic, cooling was the main reason I got my last PC case - Silverstone FT02 - but due to how world is, I couldn't get the case I really wanted, so I got a Meshify S2 and an 240mm AIO. My 3600XT got down to 32c at idle last night, most I seen at load is maybe 80C, but I don't really try to see max. I prefer cool.

Every time i see a "My 3600" running hot thread I ask what case is. So many are just glass boxes with fans in them. So few think... how do these fans get air? no, its all rgb fans are pretty. I agree they look nice but they more than just spinning lights, or meant to be. Too many cheap cases are dazzling with tempered glass and rgb and not thinking or caring about cooling the parts inside, looking good is the desired result. They don't have to replace the parts. that is the poor person who buys into the dream.

Seems Steve agrees about that case I suggested

i would find a build I know worked for someone but not on a YouTube video, and then alter it to suit myself.

Really, I doubt he used that PC any longer than to record it. 110C is not a sane temp to run anything at.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That too is subjective. Me, case took maybe 3 minutes to decide, once I figured what size I wanted. After that, it was what components would fit inside it, made by whom, available when, cost what? Corsair SF600 Platinum psu. Wasn't even a decision, it was a fact from the start. Cooling was easy, full custom loop. What that entailed took another 6 months to figure and measure and research and change.

Yes, took over 6 months just to figure out the cooling, and that was before buying the first part.

So it really depends on which direction you attack the problem from. Vendor Dis-information, lack of credible reviews, mega-assumptions all play a role, and the psu, case cooling, cpu cooling, cases in general are the worst culprits. It's easier to pull teeth by yourself, with busted pliers than find cpu cooler clearance on most cases. Yes the case has 140mm fan holes on top, yes you can use a 280mm AIO, no you can't put a motherboard in too, doesn't fit under it....

I love Steve, he's the closest thing to Gospel for many things, unfortunately there's only one of him and he can't cover everything. Linus isn't bad, but he spends too much time submerging pc's in fishtanks filled with oil.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The downside to that corsair case is its built for 120mm fans, it only has 4 places to put 140mm fans. You can mount 10 120mm fans in that... need the ultra wide version that has more 140mm fan mounts.
Not sure I like the way the cutout on front is cut, its blatantly for 120mm fans and there is a lot of steel the fans can't blow through.

onboxings, any case review shorter than 15 minutes, are not worth watching. People who make PC inside are almost as bad but then that category includes some good channels too like kitguru and OC3D TV. Depends on if it was made in your bedroom or not.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Steve @ GamersNexus is one of the better hosts and channels on YouTube for straight shooting hardware reviews and updates - he doesn't pull punches and will publicly say when they have been offered bribes, which has occurred more than once. (also on their website). I don't like Linus' style and overtly quirkiness but sometimes does a pretty decent job. Jayztwocents is another where he can be really good when he's being serious and discussing content, but sometimes likes to get a little goofy, but makes him a relatable character. Bitwit (Kyle, I think) is also really good, but I always forget to check out his stuff.

I've always been a cooling nut, so my focus is always on airflow and cooling in my systems. Watercooling requires good airflow and if you have an enclosed, glass box that doesn't breathe well, you're just creating an oven.

If air has difficulty flowing in or flowing out, then the fans are just pushing air around inside, absorbing more and more heat, making it the same as a circulation baking oven.

Colif

Win 11 Master
At least most people can afford the parts Jayz normally looks at unless its water cooled gpu like a recent one.. Linus is normally outside normal peoples budgets

I had a fish tank once before, it had fish in it. It made sense for it to be water tight and air tight, to keep everything in and not on my floor, but not for a PC case to be, as unless we start running on floor air pumps to feed the case with air, its going to get hot in there.
It is funny, I used to run a pump in my fish tank to keep the fish alive, now I run a pump in my PC to keep my CPU alive. Difference is what was pumped.

I totally agree with Steve's Crusade to make cases look good and also functional, not just one of them. Its amazing how everyone wants to be different but almost all the cases I see are glass boxes, 3 rgb fans on front and one on rear,,, different? Its why I avoided an 011 dynamic as everyone has them.

D

Deleted member 2838871

cases, cooling and PSU. the 3 items left to last as they not as exciting. At least the cases that come with PSU are becoming hard to find. Just as well.

I am opposite, it took me longer to choose a case than any other part of my current PC. And I knew my PSU was going to be a Seasonic, cooling was the main reason I got my last PC case - Silverstone FT02 - but due to how world is, I couldn't get the case I really wanted, so I got a Meshify S2 and an 240mm AIO.
Seems Steve agrees about that case I suggested

My biggest thing I was knew the S340 elite from the previous build was a mistake. I wanted something more open air with room at the top for an AIO and an open front. I also wanted something bigger for the 3090 and so the case wouldn't be so cramped for space. I went with the FD Meshify 2.

How does it differ from your S2? They look the same at first glance and the FD website does in fact say they are 2 different cases.

As for Steve, he had good things to say about my case as well. A few days after the build I stumbled across his "best cases of 2020" video and the Meshify 2 made the list. It also won his "best mechanical design" for how the case opens up which I thought was cool. Very nice to see after the fact that the product you chose was given a thumbs up by the YT experts.

Steve @ GamersNexus is one of the better hosts and channels on YouTube for straight shooting hardware reviews and updates - he doesn't pull punches and will publicly say when they have been offered bribes, which has occurred more than once. (also on their website). I don't like Linus' style and overtly quirkiness but sometimes does a pretty decent job. Jayztwocents is another where he can be really good when he's being serious and discussing content, but sometimes likes to get a little goofy, but makes him a relatable character. Bitwit (Kyle, I think) is also really good, but I always forget to check out his stuff.

Yep... I like how Steve is a straight shooter. He's my favorite YT channel for this kind of stuff. Jayz is good like you said... when he's being serious. Funny how he offered a free GPU a couple months ago and got a few hundred thousand subscribers in a matter of hours. People are desperate. Jay can be annoying a lot but OMG Linus is even worse. Sometimes I have to ask how someone who acts like a 12 year old has millions of subs. I actually unsubbed from Linus a while back. His childish behavior doesn't do anything for me... one look at the stupid faces he puts on his video thumbnails is all one needs to see. Bitwit is new to me... just started watching his stuff so no real opinion yet.

... and they are all getting rich from it. Only in America.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
The meshify 2 is close to the define 7 while the meshify 2 is close to the define s2.

With the meshify 2, you can remove the top to easily install a radiator. It also has more storage option, it's fan hub has a smarter location at the top of the case and it has a different panel fixation system.

More importantly, it's front panel doesn't have any wiring, which make it easier to remove, and it's filter is more efficient. But the meshify S2 has some sound dampening material on it's size panel and the meshify 2 doesn't, that may be something important to you.
link

lol. just noticed that 1st sentence doesn't make any sense. I think the S2 closer to Define S2 - Steves video on it says as much, its a Define S2 with a mesh front and a few changes

Its possible the glass sided one doesn't have any sound dampening material unless its on the metal side of case and I forgot. If i had choice, I would have got new one as front is a pain to remove on S2 but I don't have to do that often. I like how filter works on top of the case on yours too. My PC made before new ones released.. just.

Last edited:
It is entirely premature to be making purchasing decisions now when the build time is some 5 months away.
There will be new products and prices will change.

There are some things that are good to at least research early.
A case would be one of them if the motherboard size has been determined.
Power supplies do not change much, and a good sale on a quality 750w psu with a 10 year warranty
can be a relatively safe buy.

One risk of buying parts early is that by the time you can test them, the return period will have passed.
A case is a reasonable early purchase if you can find one that you really love.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Case, mouse, keyboard. The top 3 absolutely personal items. Some like the 'gamer' look like the X-factor Apevia cases, some prefer the classic black cube like the Defines, some want fishtanks full of unicorn puke. To each his own. Trick is to incorporate the better quality and usability of a case, while maintaining the looks chosen. I see it all the time with suggested builds, ppl totally voiding the Op's choice, simply to get a 'better' case or a cheaper one. I tend to leave case choices, only changing them if they just don't work as Op intends, but do try to maintain the overall looks. Often puts me over budget 🤣

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Gospel according to rubix. Whom isn't wrong. Imho, rgb or even case lighting is best served as a subtle accent. Ungodly bright unicorn puke in a fishtank sitting less than 2 feet from monitors, glaring away in peripheral vision, in a million+ color variations, strobes, blends etc is simply annoying and distracting. Especially when sitting in a dimly lit room trying desperately to immerse yourself in an intense gaming period.

Although I do find it hilarious the amount of money ppl spend to outfit every single fan port with lesser performance rgb fans, full TG towers, commander or node pro, just to park the case under the desk where they can barely even see it.

TRENDING THREADS