Question How should I go about powering my 4 pin CPU port?

Aug 5, 2023
Hello. Today I finally got a half-decent PSU (Thermaltake Smart 700) and a working adapter for the 24-pin port so it would work in the motherboard (which was HP 6-pin). It powered on for a moment before beeping, the power button flashing red. I went to check on a wire I had pulled out in the process of removing the old PSU, thinking it was the problem, and staring me in the face was "CPUPWR" on the board.

So, now I need to know how I should go about powering this 4-pin CPU port. I've already dedicated my heart to hot-rodding the old thing and it'd be a shame to give up now.

What kind of adapter could I use?

Aug 5, 2023
God, if this is half-decent, I'd hate to see what non-decent is.

If it's a four-pin connector, it's likely the 4+4 pin CPU connector works, but to be honest, with proprietary motherboards, all bets are off, and all you've given us to work with is "hp."
It is, in fact, the 4+4 pin. Not sure how to mark best answer but thank you.

Aug 5, 2023
You're not using a GPU that requires power with that PSU, are you?
I am. I have the PCIe cable plugged into the GPU (rtx 1070) and it seems to be running. Keyboard powering on and all, although I'm having issues getting it to start up. The CPU fan revs up like a motorcycle, card lights up, and nothing else happens.

I've got 2 other cards that don't need power. One ran, but trying it again, it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Last edited:
I am. I have the PCIe cable plugged into the GPU (rtx 1070) and it seems to be running. Keyboard powering on and all, although I'm having issues getting it to start up. The CPU fan revs up like a motorcycle, card lights up, and nothing else happens.

I've got 2 other cards that don't need power. One ran, but trying it again, it doesn't seem to work anymore.

those adapters can be extremely flaky and if it isnt wired properly can damage the motherboard

Aug 5, 2023
those adapters can be extremely flaky and if it isnt wired properly can damage the motherboard
I think they damaged something. It is what it is. Will either get a professional to look at it or give up and start over from scratch.

LEDs oddly still work, though. I guess not all hope is lost?

Aug 5, 2023
Good news is nothing on the PC is broken and it all runs fine with the new PSU and other cards after a bit of tinkering. Bad news is this means there's some issue with the GPU

Aug 5, 2023
If you actually had a *worse* PSU than the Thermaltake Smart running with it before, that's not a surprise.
This is actually the first time I've run the 1070. It shouldn't be that hard to power a 240 watt PC and a 150 watt GPU on something (ostensibly) 700 watts, right?

Thank god I never tried that KDMpower PSU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This is actually the first time I've run the 1070. It shouldn't be that hard to power a 240 watt PC and a 150 watt GPU on something (ostensibly) 700 watts, right?

Well, that's good at least. But we're still talking a pretty awful PSU; the only reason the Smart PSUs aren't the worst things Thermaltake has ever sold is because they've sold even worse ones before (Litepower, TR2).

Could just be that the GPU didn't work on the first place. I don't know the story behind it (while you've told us the PSUs you've used, you've told us little else about your specs or the history of this rig).

smart thermaltake are not known for there quality by far

thermaltake use multiple oems for there psus

toughpower psus are probly there best in the thermaltake line.

700w smart psus actually are 648w on the psu rail.

also lower quality psus will draw more power from the wall to get to that number e.g

800w from wall to get to a 650w

the better the rating e.g bronze gold etc

Aug 5, 2023
Well, that's good at least. But we're still talking a pretty awful PSU; the only reason the Smart PSUs aren't the worst things Thermaltake has ever sold is because they've sold even worse ones before (Litepower, TR2).

Could just be that the GPU didn't work on the first place. I don't know the story behind it (while you've told us the PSUs you've used, you've told us little else about your specs or the history of this rig).
I call it the Throngler. It's an HP Prodesk 600 G1 I plan on frankensteining into something that can run older games like War Thunder at decent framerates.

Currently it's running on the thermaltake PSU (which works), 16GB of Ram (Was 24 but oddly enough the two RAM sticks it came with stock stopped working, so it's just on the extra sticks until I can figure out the problem) and an old MSI GT 720 fanless GPU on a riser.

The new card in question is a Quicksilver GTX 1070, bought used off of Ebay. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the card itself, the ports, or something else.