Question How to build a stable, modded, Minecraft server. NO HOSTING

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
I am trying to run a modded minecraft server for personal use. For now I just need it to run for 4-5 people. I have three different computers to try and run a server. I want to run All the Mods, but I have since cut down the mods to essentials for furniture stuff and mo creatures. The server runs well with either computers but I'm just extremely picky. I dont trust hosting services simply because I dont want to shell out monthly plans.

The problem is I get constant server ticking lag. Mobs stutter here and there and flying suffers serious lag.

The computer specs are as follows. Note I'll just post the essentials, not the entire specifications.
(1) Ryzen 3900x, 32GB of 3200mhz ram, 1TB NVME SSD.
(2) i5-4590, 16GB of 1333mhz ram, 250 SSD --- This is an old HP Compaq 6000 pro

The servers run fine and blocks can be placed, but it could run smoother. I try allocating the right amount of RAM for each system. for the second system I do a full 16GB. For the first computer I tried 24, and then 16, still getting a lot of ticking and falling behind.

Looking up online some suggestions, I found a post on this site mentioning old Xeons are the way to go. I am just looking for some understanding as to why and how to get the server at optimum.

I read people suggesting linux to run the server as it would utilize CPU cores or something, I read about storage drives playing a role. I already play with RAM allocation but I get conflicting information saying to max out the ram, then to just use half because using all of it would bottleneck the entire PC. I know not to use the server PC for anything else otherwise it would affect performance. I don't know if networking has anything to play in it because I can't really control how my peer's networks are affected. Is there anything I can do on my end to upgrade or improve my server performance. I just really want to get an understanding as to how minecraft processes a server.

kanewolf

Titan
I am trying to run a modded minecraft server for personal use. For now I just need it to run for 4-5 people. I have three different computers to try and run a server. I want to run All the Mods, but I have since cut down the mods to essentials for furniture stuff and mo creatures. The server runs well with either computers but I'm just extremely picky. I dont trust hosting services simply because I dont want to shell out monthly plans.

The problem is I get constant server ticking lag. Mobs stutter here and there and flying suffers serious lag.

The computer specs are as follows. Note I'll just post the essentials, not the entire specifications.
(1) Ryzen 3900x, 32GB of 3200mhz ram, 1TB NVME SSD.
(2) i5-4590, 16GB of 1333mhz ram, 250 SSD --- This is an old HP Compaq 6000 pro

The servers run fine and blocks can be placed, but it could run smoother. I try allocating the right amount of RAM for each system. for the second system I do a full 16GB. For the first computer I tried 24, and then 16, still getting a lot of ticking and falling behind.

Looking up online some suggestions, I found a post on this site mentioning old Xeons are the way to go. I am just looking for some understanding as to why and how to get the server at optimum.

I read people suggesting linux to run the server as it would utilize CPU cores or something, I read about storage drives playing a role. I already play with RAM allocation but I get conflicting information saying to max out the ram, then to just use half because using all of it would bottleneck the entire PC. I know not to use the server PC for anything else otherwise it would affect performance. I don't know if networking has anything to play in it because I can't really control how my peer's networks are affected. Is there anything I can do on my end to upgrade or improve my server performance. I just really want to get an understanding as to how minecraft processes a server.
Are you only accessing via LAN or is there WAN access? What are your internet speeds? What other traffic is happening on your WAN ?

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
Are you only accessing via LAN or is there WAN access? What are your internet speeds? What other traffic is happening on your WAN ?
The access is WAN. My service is Frontier with 100/100. On average my speeds with a speed tester is 80mbps/ up 120mbps.

I believe the speeds at my friend's house are basic, Getting 50 down, and 50 up. I'm not a networking expert so I don't know if there is an issue.

My server is connected with an array of devices but I put device priority and most of the device I keep off as well. I use a linksys EA9500 max stream router in connection to my Frontier G1100. Sometimes that router would be underload but not during the times I wish to run the server.