Question How to change the icon of the system folder

Nobody-Important

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
I've been fruitlessly trying to find a way to change the icon of the Windows folder on the C: drive. It's just bothering me personally that i could customize all the other folder icons, but the Windows folder remains a plain default thing, even though that should be the most distinct as it is the most important.
I've managed to restore the customization tab to the properties window by editing the registry, but for some reason it doesn't actually save the changes. Even when manually inserting a desktop.ini file it does not load the icon from it.
Is there anything i can do about this or will i have to look at the weird default folder icon forever?

Nobody-Important

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
Well i need direct access there all the time because there are some important utilities i need that use command lines for file access/browsing, so their path has to be as simple as possible so they install themselves directly to c:\ , and with that i need to access their things all the time. Not to mention that i'm trying to maintain a laptop beyond what the manufacturer intended, so i have frequent things to do with the OS.
Having some graphical navigation aid for this would be great, so maybe someone knows how windows knows what to display for the windows folder.
I mean it has to be stored somewhere in the registry right?
I found the locations for the other "system folders" like Users, Program Files, etc, and set them to not be protected from style changes, but i havent found a setting that would change this for the Windows folder.