Question How to clone certain applications AND windows from HDD to SSD

Aug 12, 2019
I have a 1TB HDD with EVERYTHING on it, games, images, apps, ect. I want to move Windows 10 and only certain games on to my new 240gb ssd. I want to keep everything else on the HDD but only those certain games and windows onto the new SSD without losing anything. How would i do this.

Aug 12, 2019
Nope, can't be done like you wish.
So are you telling me when I put my ssd in, it's just gonna be like another drive with another letter, and everything is normal, but i have to move stuff manually? Also what happens when i put my ssd as boot drive after from bios after i install my ssd, do i lose everything? (Bonus question (im stupid) Is putting your ssd as boot drive same as putting windows on ssd?)

USAFRet

Titan
With cloning/migration, you can't do "OS and some applications". All or nothing.
If this were a Samsung drive, the Samsung Data Migration tool gives the functionality to leave off folders containing stuff like video/music/etc. But that can confer other connectivity/access issues.

But you can't move 'certain games and Windows'. There is no pick and choose like that.

For the concept of "boot drive"...yes, that would be the Windows OS on it.
Which you can't 'migrate' all by itself.

Aug 12, 2019
With cloning/migration, you can't do "OS and some applications". All or nothing.
If this were a Samsung drive, the Samsung Data Migration tool gives the functionality to leave off folders containing stuff like video/music/etc. But that can confer other connectivity/access issues.

But you can't move 'certain games and Windows'. There is no pick and choose like that.

For the concept of "boot drive"...yes, that would be the Windows OS on it.
Which you can't 'migrate' all by itself.
Thanks for the reply, i'm sorry if im being a nuisance but if I do put the SSD as main boot drive, do i lose anything, or is it just another drive? (Im still using my 1TB HDD and my SSD is only for certain things) (Thanks im very stupid)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
You can't just put it in and have it be "the boot drive".

You'd need to actually install the OS on that drive.
Either a migration (which you can't do due to space)
or
A clean install of the OS on that drive. Which means a reinstall of all your drivers and applications.

You can have it as just another drive and drive letter, and leave the OS on your existing HDD.

Aug 12, 2019
You can't just put it in and have it be "the boot drive".

You'd need to actually install the OS on that drive.
Either a migration (which you can't do due to space)
or
A clean install of the OS on that drive. Which means a reinstall of all your drivers and applications.

You can have it as just another drive and drive letter, and leave the OS on your existing HDD.
OK THANK YOU SO MUCH.

USAFRet

Titan
Does your budget permit you to buy a 1tb Samsung ssd?
If so, you can move everything, including windows to the new drive easily using the Samsung ssd migration app.
That would work with any 1TB SSD.
Samsung Data Migration if a Samsung drive, or Macrium Reflect with any 1TB SATA III SSD.

But since he apparently already has the 240GB SSD...options are limited.

TRENDING THREADS