[SOLVED] How to connect and use 4.1 Audio between a Computer and Sony MHC-RV8

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
I have a Sony MHC-RV8 (4.1) VACS. I need guidance to connect my computer with the MHC-RV8 and use the 4.1 Channel audio.

I currently have connected it on MD(Video) mode and also tried with Game mode and connected with computer using 3.5mm to 2RCA . In my computer it shows as 2.0 but all the 5 output speaks(4 speakers and 1 sub woofer) are working but I do not see audio separation, Please assist what ways are available to use my it as true 4.1 form Computer input to MHC-RV8 output.
Is there any cheap external device that I can use if there is no default options to use 4.1 channel audio?
*I don't know anything about audio
My friend said I should replace the Unit with a different amplifier and use the speakers in 4.1 or 5.1(by adding any other speaker to them for Center channel) and connect it with my computer and use it?
What amplifier should I buy or is there any other cheaper alternative?

Last edited:
Solution
If you stick with stereo only, you can get by plenty of $50-and-less amps available on the Interwebs. For surround sound, you'll need proper surround receiver (with proper inputs), and you're going into $150+ zone.
Looking at the manual - that Sony does not have anything but stereo input, and to be honest, I don't see any way to play internally more than stereo media (CD, radio, tape), so all this "4.1" gimmick is just a marketing - internally, this device "makes" surround out of stereo signal.

Reactions: Arun05

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Looking at the manual - that Sony does not have anything but stereo input, and to be honest, I don't see any way to play internally more than stereo media (CD, radio, tape), so all this "4.1" gimmick is just a marketing - internally, this device "makes" surround out of stereo signal.
Is there any cheap alternative way to use all the 4 speakers and the subwoofer as 4.1 or 5.1(by adding any other speaker to them for Center channel) and connect it with my computer and use it?

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
*I don't know anything about audio
My friend said I should replace the Unit with a different amplifier and use the speakers in 4.1
What amplifier should I buy or is there any other cheaper alternative?

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
If you stick with stereo only, you can get by plenty of $50-and-less amps available on the Interwebs. For surround sound, you'll need proper surround receiver (with proper inputs), and you're going into $150+ zone.
Tried to upload but unable to upload pics I also posted same question in another forum but got no response.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...ith-the-mhc-rv8-and-use-the-41-channel-audio/
This link contains the pics of the specification of my speakers I guess it would be close to 100W RMS
Could you please have a look at them and suggest me an amplifier(cheapest possible 4.1 or 5.1-Ican buy some cheap speaker for the center channel)
*Note:The subwoofer has 2 cables(red and black and also a Old PS/2 Mouse/keyboard kind of connector) but the speakers have one one cable(red and black)

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Again - you're feedein stero, two-channel signal into that Sony. Your computer knows that, and reports "2.0". That Sont has some internal magic when using its internal sources to provide quasi-4.1 surround sound.
Yes I can understand that why I am asking Could you please suggest me a different amplifier(that supports 5 or 6 channel) that I can use with these 5 speakers instead of the one that came with those speakers?

TRENDING THREADS