[SOLVED] how to disable / remove unnecessary programs in windows 7

Solution
You might consider one of the light Linux Distro.

Aside from that, there are good tutorials on making 7 much less resource hungry. As well, there is even an open source 7-like "lite" program out there.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021

It's a Windows 7 machine, more than likely is old and slow, and he's looking to cut excess services and programs out to get some speed back.

Just a theory I have.

OP, tap Windows Key + R. Type "msconfig", and hit enter. Look at the startup tab. Try deselecting everything except the Microsoft programs (or those too, depends), and restarting the computer.

O1yfQR0.png

hey, as seen in the title, and additional to that how do i know if a program is important or not in the task manager?
Right click on the app, select "Open file location", then:
  • If it's in C:\Windows, it's important
  • If it's in C:\Program Files and you didn't install it, it's probably important, but you should check what it is
  • If it's anywhere else and/or you installed it, then you decide if you want to keep it or not

yyoussef101

Commendable
May 23, 2020
It's a Windows 7 machine, more than likely is old and slow, and he's looking to cut excess services and programs out to get some speed back.

Just a theory I have.

OP, tap Windows Key + R. Type "msconfig", and hit enter. Look at the startup tab. Try deselecting everything except the Microsoft programs (or those too, depends), and restarting the computer.

O1yfQR0.png

and those in the task manager > processes?