Question How to extend Xfinity hotspot-connection throughout my residence?

Feb 8, 2024
In my neighborhood there is a commercial Comcast / Xfinity hotspot [Wi Fi 5 / 803.11ac].

I don't know how far away it is, but I can connect to the hotspot with my laptop [an HP EliteBook 850 G6], but only by positioning the laptop against the west-facing window of the northern-most room of the house.

When I am connected, the signal strength is usually 2 out of 4 bars. . [Further details are provided in the footnotes at the end of this post.]

So... I am looking for a router (? -- and/or other wireless hardware -- ?) to deploy in that room (positioned against that window). . The router needs to be able to pick up the Xfinity hotspot, and extend the signal (either wirelessly or by cable) throughout the rest of my house -- about 50 to 60 feet.

Also, once I solve this problem, I would like to be able to implement the solution while traveling to other apartments, houses, cities, etc. in which xfinity hotspots are available.

Question 1: . How do read & interpret the technical specs of routers, in order to understand which routers are a good match for my needs?

Question 2: . Which specific router models would you possibly recommend?

Question 3: . Will I possibly need to use Linux in order to accomplish my objecctive?

Further details are provided in the footnotes below.

Thanks for your assistance.

----------------------------------

FOOTNOTE #1:

The first time that I connected to the xfinitywifi hotspot, I was only able to view an Xfinity advertisement (a paywall) that describes how to purchase a "30-day Wi-Fi Pass" -- as seen here:

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi

So I went ahead and purchased the 30-day pass using a credit card. . Once the payment was processed, I had full, unlimited access to the internet, without setting up any UserID or Password. . I have the option to continue the service on a month-to-month basis.

After the payment was processed: . Every time that I connect, the connection happens automatically without entering any information -- I presume that their system is automatically identifying my laptop device. . And that my 30-day pass only works for that specific laptop device.

FOOTNOTE #2

I did contact tech support at TP-Link, and they told me that, because there is no SSID and no password involved, none of their routers would be able to accomplish what I would like to accomplish.

FOOTNOTE #3

====== TECHNICAL INFO (obtained while connected) ======

SSID: xfinitywifi
Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type: Open
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 36
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 87/57 (Mbps)
IPv6 address: 2601:240:cd02:a666:890d:6059:3576:ac91
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::483b:4615:a082:a516%20
IPv6 DNS servers: 2001:558:feed::1
2001:558:feed::2
IPv4 address: 172.20.20.20
IPv4 DNS servers: 75.75.75.75
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Driver version: 22.250.1.2
Physical address (MAC): 50-EB-71-AA-70-99

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Driver version: 22.250.1.2
Physical address (MAC): 50-EB-71-AA-70-99

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am not sure there is a way to do what you are asking about.

You could consider signing up for ISP services. Another thing you could try is that new T Mobile hotspot thing, is only ~$50 a month and everyone I know using them sings praises about it.

My parents during the summer stay at a campground where they broadcast a wifi signal and have to pay per device connected, as hard as i tried i could not get a AP or router to connect to it.

I ended up using an older computer with a USB wifi dongle to pick up the signal. With windows 10 to can then turn on a hotspot from that computer to broadcast your own wifi network. Off the new hotspot wifi i was able to attach both their phones, ipad's, laptop, and both smart tv's off the one paid seat.

Feb 8, 2024
My parents during the summer stay at a campground where they broadcast a wifi signal and have to pay per device connected, as hard as i tried i could not get a AP or router to connect to it.

I ended up using an older computer with a USB wifi dongle to pick up the signal. With windows 10 to can then turn on a hotspot from that computer to broadcast your own wifi network. Off the new hotspot wifi i was able to attach both their phones, ipad's, laptop, and both smart tv's off the one paid seat.
I have Windows 10 on my HP EliteBook laptop.

So does that mean that if I get a second Windows 10 laptop, I could use my current laptop "as a hotspot", and and the second laptop as my "roam about the house" laptop -- thus implementing a solution similar to yours?

Are there small, relatively inexpensive, Windows 10 Tablets that could serve as "the hotspot"?

TRENDING THREADS