[SOLVED] How to find out, if USB-pin did not properly connect?

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Dear forum

I have covered my USB-port on my stationary PC with duct tape, to protect it from damage, dust, dirt etc. (The port is horisontal)

When I removed the duct tape last time, I saw that some of the glue has gotten stuck around the USB port. Now I fear, that some of the glue has gotten into port and onto the of the 4 pins. I have used a flashlight to see down into the port and into the USB pin aswell, and I cannot see any glue, dirt etc.

My system registers instantly when I plugin the USB pin, it appears both in Explorer, detected by my AVG etc.

1)
If one of the 4 pins did not connect properly, how would I know?

2)
How much dirt etc. can one of the 4 pins be covered with, before the USB pin cannot function correctly?

3)
Photo from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#/media/File:USB-A_3.1_Gen_1_ports_on_OWC_Thunderbolt_3_Dock.jpg
On the USB port to the left, you can see the 4 pins. But just above, there are 5 metal-pins, what are those?

Thank you in advance for reading and replying!

Best regards

Solution
I'd recommend some caps to cover them when not in use if dirt and all that is an issue

You'd be experiencing device disconnections or it wouldn't register anything outright

2)
How much dirt etc. can one of the 4 pins be covered with, before the USB pin cannot function correctly?

When it cant make enough proper contact with what it needs to. A little bit of dust shouldn't hurt anything but if its getting significantly caked with dirt or large amounts of dust I could see it causing possible connection issues

In which case blowing out the USB cable and the USB port with something like a can of compressed air would likely fix it

3)
Photo from...

Furzumz

Reputable
I'd recommend some caps to cover them when not in use if dirt and all that is an issue

You'd be experiencing device disconnections or it wouldn't register anything outright

2)

When it cant make enough proper contact with what it needs to. A little bit of dust shouldn't hurt anything but if its getting significantly caked with dirt or large amounts of dust I could see it causing possible connection issues

In which case blowing out the USB cable and the USB port with something like a can of compressed air would likely fix it

3)
Photo from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#/media/File:USB-A_3.1_Gen_1_ports_on_OWC_Thunderbolt_3_Dock.jpg
On the USB port to the left, you can see the 4 pins. But just above, there are 5 metal-pins, what are those?

That one I'm not sure about myself, sorry. Someone else here might know

Solution