[SOLVED] How to find the source of frequent time outs and 3000ms

Mashuguna

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Recently I am getting frequent time outs and my connection will go from 12 ms to 300ms for several seconds. How can I troubleshoot this?

Steps I have already taken:
  • Ran Kapersky Free Anti-Virus
  • Ran CCleaner
  • Ran Verizon FiOS connection tool to test PC to router speeds
  • Ran Verizon connection tool to test router to internet speeds
  • Spoke to Verizon FiOs and they tested from their end
I am not sure what else to check. Should I buy full Kapersky? Another tool? Can I check my PC to see if the issue is internal? Test my PC wioreless card?

Thanks for any advice.

My PC:
CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($178.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($188.56 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($304.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Asus - MX279H 27.0" 1920x1080 Monitor ($199.99 @ Walmart)

Solution
You first need to test on ethernet to determine if it is your wifi or if maybe it is is your internet itself having issues. In many ways you hope it is not the wifi since you can't actually fix the most common cause of issues on wifi. Most wifi issues are caused by interfering signals form your neighbors using wifi. There is no way you can "fix" that unless you pay off your neighbors to get them to turn off the wifi on their routers.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model: Modem, Router?

Just your PC or do other network computers experience the tlimeouts?

Wired or wireless connection between PC and router? (Note:You mentioned testing your wireless card so I expect that you are using wireless.)

Also remember that only one network adapter should be enabled: use wired or wireless not both at the same time.

If you are using wired, try using another known working, at speed, Ethernet cable.

On your PC look in Reliability History for any error codes or warnings that correspond with the timeouts.

You first need to test on ethernet to determine if it is your wifi or if maybe it is is your internet itself having issues. In many ways you hope it is not the wifi since you can't actually fix the most common cause of issues on wifi. Most wifi issues are caused by interfering signals form your neighbors using wifi. There is no way you can "fix" that unless you pay off your neighbors to get them to turn off the wifi on their routers.

Solution