Question How to fix inconsistent PC blue screens, hangs, powercycling?

Jan 25, 2021
Hello,

I have had PC issues for a while now that I simply struggle to diagnose.
I get (seemingly) random blue screens, although they usually happen while I actually do something, not when completely idle. These blue screens may not always happen and instead, I get a complete hang (everything freezes, monitors are still lit up but PC requires a manual restart). A few times I have encountered powercycling after a blue screen/hang as well.

These issues (not powercycling, as that is fairly recent) have always been “fixed” for a while (a few months generally) by reseating rams/ssd.

Naturally, I’ve ran a fair amount of tests to diagnose the issue, with little to no results.

To start: as most of the blue screens were always memory related, I’ve run quite a few memtests, as well as memory diagnostics, some for over 8+ passes, with no errors.
The most common blue screens (this is very anecdotal and from my memory) were memory management, system service exception and maybe irql_not_less_or_equal.
I used the intel cpu test, no errors.
I’ve checked the hard drive health multiple times, also seemingly no issues, including the standard chkdsk.
GPU never seemed to have any visual problems that would indicate it was the wrong part.
I have bought a new SATA cable + SSD and got a fresh clean install of windows pro on this said ssd, however, the PC hung again today. I plugged the SSD in a different sata port on the motherboard to see whether that could be the culprit.

These problems predate me getting a new PSU and a samsung NVME, although back then they were a bit less common so I

At this point I really have no idea what the issue could be and would appreciate any help.

My system specs are:

MSI Z370 PC PRO
Hyperx Predator 8gb x2
MSI Gaming Trio 1080ti
Intel 8700k (not OC’d at the moment)
Corsair RM750X

I haven’t tried installing windows on the NVMe yet but I am planning to.

Temperatures always seemed to be fine, even while gaming: 40-50 cpu and 60-75 gpu

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

• copy that file to documents
  • upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  • and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Jan 25, 2021
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

• copy that file to documents
  • upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  • and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Sadly, as I reinstalled windows, there are no recent minidumps. But I’ll forward the earlier ones from December. Most of my blue screens did not yield any minidumps and hangs never do, naturally.

1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7aa0h1s7ehviqx/minidump.rar?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlxzwc33fevhy83/012121-5296-01.rar?dl=0

Colif

Win 11 Master
pretty good chance its hardware if it survived a reinstall

you didn't list the nvme but since this happened before it, its unlikely cause
PSU is new and problem existed before.

newest bios on motherboard?
is ram speed supported by board? is it running in XMP?

try running either of these on GPU, not at same time. Although it doesn't show any signs, it still could be cause so best test it and not assume
https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

what BSOD code is most common?

Jan 25, 2021
pretty good chance its hardware if it survived a reinstall

you didn't list the nvme but since this happened before it, its unlikely cause
PSU is new and problem existed before.

newest bios on motherboard?
is ram speed supported by board? is it running in XMP?

try running either of these on GPU, not at same time. Although it doesn't show any signs, it still could be cause so best test it and not assume
https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

what BSOD code is most common?

I feel like the most common code would be memory management. Newest BIOS, yes. I never oc’d or changed any settings in bios and Pc worked fine for 2+ years. I’ll have to install windows on nvme now and then I’ll try to run the test u linked

Jan 25, 2021
memory management hardware sources;
RAM - passed memtest
Storage - guess trying new nvme now
CPU - passes tests
MB & PSU (only as they in everything)

I am now installing windows on the NVMe and will let u know if I get any issues. Sometimes it takes a few days though, sadly.

E: did minidumps help to indicate anything?

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/86pL5xuf/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:012121-5296-01.dmp (Jan 21 2021 - 01:35:42)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Wow.exe)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File information:122220-5812-01.dmp (Dec 21 2020 - 22:20:37)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for I2cHkBurn.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:122220-5171-01.dmp (Dec 21 2020 - 22:14:19)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:122220-4593-01.dmp (Dec 21 2020 - 22:26:44)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:122220-4562-01.dmp (Dec 21 2020 - 22:05:46)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File information:122220-4562-02.dmp (Dec 21 2020 - 22:10:12)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-PC-PRO.html
You have the latest BIOS already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Jan 25, 2021

gardenman

Splendid
5 of those I've already looked at. In addition, 122220-4562-01.dmp and 122220-4562-02.dmp are the same file. Be sure to only upload new files and link to the new files only.

I think I see 2 new files. Results: https://jsfiddle.net/snd7k3p4/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:110320-6218-01.dmp (Nov 2 2020 - 19:03:02)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)
Comment: The 2nd dump file 41919-6765-01.dmp was corrupted.

Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Jan 25, 2021
Apologies, I only tried to upload it from my dropbox and did not remember which files they were as I couldn’t look at them more closely via my phone.

Thank you again.

Also, I only use afterburner to adjust fan curves, in case anyone will be wondering.

Jan 25, 2021
well, the December ones were all caused by
Feb 17 2014I2cHkBurn.sysMSI Gaming App driver or FINTEK FitGpBus Device driver (Feature Integration Technology)

so if you going to use afterburner, use a new version
video scheduler could also be it as well.

Any suggestions?
I got afterburner directly from the msi website and i did not download gaming app since it started being fidgety.

Never got any video scheduler related errors, if that helps

Jan 25, 2021
look at spoiler in gardenmans last post, its the error code VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119) dated November.

I always though that was Afterburner... it sort of is same thing, it adjusts GPU speeds - https://www.msi.com/blog/msi-gaming-app-article - but its also RGB and a few other things.

You’re right.
I’ll lay off of any programs adjusting fan speeds, including both afterburner and gaming app.
Will report if something happens!

E: do you reckon these apps could also cause something like powercycling and complete system hangs? Especially the power cycling I’m concerned about

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running the pc without the GPU and run it off the connections on the motherboard, use integrated graphics from the intel CPU.

See if you still get the errors. Always chance cause is the GPU itself. If it still happens, you know its not the GPU.

Jan 25, 2021
Hello, I just got another blue screen: system service exception, what failed: ntfs.sys. I do not have a minidump.

this was on my nvme only :)

E: after this I turned on driver verifier and it always detected a violation related to razer keyboard/mouse. Do you reckon I should try to use my Pc without these or reinstall the drivers? I have a spare keyboard and a mouse.
My PC booted up completely fine after I unplugged/removed my Razer keyboard, the mouse driver got reinstalled a few days ago, but the kboard one didn’t.

Also looking back, I can for sure say these issues started happening more often after I also got a razer mouse, before that, I only had their keyboard.

The dumps are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbeqog9j3xv7bgj/driververi.rar?dl=0

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the verifier dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/t4cLsjfp/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:012721-9718-01.dmp (Jan 26 2021 - 20:26:33)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for RzDev_021e.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 08 Sec(s)

File information:012721-16890-01.dmp (Jan 26 2021 - 20:32:22)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)

File information:012721-13359-01.dmp (Jan 26 2021 - 20:28:55)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)
Comments:
  • Good call, all 3 point towards Razer driver RzDev_021e.sys.
  • My 3000th post here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
timing, tell someone to remove razer as the dumps point at it anyway.

I would update it anyway since razer hardware pretty bad without synapse

Well done on 3000 posts... i may have been around that when you joined. Only know that as i have screen captures of certain post counts along the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: gardenman
Jan 25, 2021
Hi again, i am reporting with another blue screen, this time kmode_exception_not_handled what failed: nvlddmkm but sadly no minidump.

I enabled driver verifier afterwards but it hasnt pointed anything out.. but I did replug my keyboard as the blue screen happened. Should I try with a different keyboard? (aka no razer products whatsoever?)

nvlddmkm is nvidia related but not sure what exactly it is and i cannot locate it in system32

E: after booting up I opened device manager and razer ornata chroma driver was broken, not sure if that driver can potentially lead to gpu blue screening? but it had the exclamation point, however, i couldn’t find it in sys32 anymore

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
nvlddmkm is the nvidia display driver

Yes, Mouse software can cause GPU errors. USB and PCIe are controlled by same chip. it happened to me.

sounds like the razer driver being broken answers this question -
Should I try with a different keyboard? (aka no razer products whatsoever?)
as it would seem it was cause of potentially one crash.

Razer make great hardware but their software was enough to make me avoid them.