[SOLVED] How to fix Intel Motherboard BIOS boot fail after BIOS update?

KuraX

Reputable
Jul 15, 2016
How issue got started?
  • My Motherboard is Intel DH67BL.
  • I recent bought GeForce GTX 1660 and connected it with PCIE 2.0 x16 slot.
  • When I booted my PC after connecting my new video card, I heard beep sounds with 1 min intervals from my motherboard, displaying chassis intrusion. Then I turned off chassis intrusion detection in my BIOS settings.
  • Next time I boot I can hear the same beeps but eventually after 5 minutes it boots, with bad resolution and my motherboard doesn't detect my graphics card. But can get into my windows.
  • I realized that I need to update my BIOS version (BL0076) to the latest (BL0163) for my motherboard to detect new CPU and GPU's.
  • Copied BL0163.BIO into my flash drive and flashed BIOS using F7 BIOS update method.
    • The update has finished successfully and I restarted my PC.
  • Now when I turn on there is no beeps, no display, my usb keyboard doesnot get power supply from motherboard usb. Basically I have no Keyboard input and no display input. The GPU and CPU fans are spinning so I guess that works.
What did I try and failed to work?
  • BIOS recovery mode.
  • CMOS clearing.
What should I do now?
  • My options are to do CMOS reset again. I removed the battery for like 20 minutes. Some articles say that It needs 1 hr to reset.
  • Buy new motherboard.
  • Try to flash older BIOS that was before (BL0076.BIO)
How to fix this issue?
There are some articles explaining that we cant update BIOS from old version to the latest and we need to update BIOS version one by one. Is this true?

Thanks in Advance.

Solution
CPU fan
  • I was using an after market fan from "Deep Cool" for more than 5 years after my intel CPU fan faced some issues.
  • It only had 3 pins. Looks like the motherboard needs 4 pins for CPU fan, the 4th pin is the control pin.
  • When I inserted the new card the control pin supposed to increase the speed on the fan but since the there is no control, the BIOS didn't boot.
That's total crap. The 4 pin fan adapter is totally compatible with 3 pin fans. Was your BIOS corrupted, yes, I think it was.

Like Ketchup said, the Ryzen 3 will be about the same as what you have now. A new setup will require CPU, MB, and new RAM. It's doubtful you can do that for $150 US.
I would start with removing the new video card. The trouble started when that card was installed and it could be the issue (first thought ... can your power supply handle that card?).

If you are still having issues without the card installed, I would clear the CMOS.

If that fails, I would attempt the BIOS recovery.

Updating BIOS in order ... this is required in some situations, but not always. In my experience, the new BIOS will have a warning that your must update to version XXX before updating to this version. I don't see that on the 0163 download.

KuraX

Reputable
Jul 15, 2016
I am using Corsair GS600. Its 600watts supply. My new card Zotac GTX 1660 only consumes 450W. My old card is Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7850 500Watts.

I have already removed the new video card. I am only using my old video card on my motherboard till this issue gets fixed. I tried BIOS recovery, since there is no display, no keyboard input and no POST, I am not sure what what I am doing is correct. But I can see that USB is getting power supply since I can feel the heat on the pen drive. Issue is the motherboard cant detect it.

KuraX

Reputable
Jul 15, 2016
Tried CMOS reset again by removing battery for 12 hours. Didn't work. I guess I will take this to a service centre for troubleshooting before buying a new motherboard.

Tried CMOS reset again by removing battery for 12 hours. Didn't work. I guess I will take this to a service centre for troubleshooting before buying a new motherboard.
When you removed the battery, the power supply was unplugged? If not, it does nothing. 5 minutes is more than enough time to clear the CMOS.

My guess is the BIOS is currupt and if recovery won't work you will have to replace the EPROM. If it's not soldered on, that's a $15 part and 5 minutes of work. I'll double-check that motherboard when I'm in front of a computer.

**Edit ... bad news ... looks like is soldered on.

Last edited:

KuraX

Reputable
Jul 15, 2016
Thanks for the replies.

They figured and fixed out the issue. The issue with with 2 things.
  1. CPU fan
    • I was using an after market fan from "Deep Cool" for more than 5 years after my intel CPU fan faced some issues.
    • It only had 3 pins. Looks like the motherboard needs 4 pins for CPU fan, the 4th pin is the control pin.
    • When I inserted the new card the control pin supposed to increase the speed on the fan but since the there is no control, the BIOS didn't boot.
  2. BIOS corruption
    • Not sure which event cause the corruption. They changed the BIOS chip. Now got the display and PC working fine.

I wont try updating my BIOS anymore. Ill keep it as it is. Maybe build a new PC to use my GTX 1660.

Most other motherboard manufacturers have moved to an application you can run within Windows to update the BIOS. Totally hands free. It's cake, and works every time (for myself at least). Considering your current system is up to 8 years old by now, a new system wouldn't be a bad idea, and, would really help make the most out of your new video card.

KuraX

Reputable
Jul 15, 2016
Now what I have to figure out is how to salvage the parts and build a PC.

PSU, Hard disk, Display, KBM are good.

Here is what I am thinking, keep everything and just change CPU and Motherboard. My budget is ~11,000 INR (~150 USD). I dont really have the money to build a new PC now. Can I buy a cheap CPU with a good Mid-High end motherboard? I am thinking AMD Ryzen 3. That motherboard should also support GTX 1660. Then when I have some cash I could upgrade my cheap CPU with a better one after 1 or 2 years.

Will this work?

The 2600k is a good CPU. A higher-end Ryzen 3 is going to match, possibly pass your Intel chip by a bit. There will probably be some nice upgrades on a modern motherboard though, and if you are going to upgrade later it might be worth it, as anything good supporting your current CPU is going to be used (and who knows, you may way to go that route).

CPU fan
That's total crap. The 4 pin fan adapter is totally compatible with 3 pin fans. Was your BIOS corrupted, yes, I think it was.

Like Ketchup said, the Ryzen 3 will be about the same as what you have now. A new setup will require CPU, MB, and new RAM. It's doubtful you can do that for $150 US.

Solution