[SOLVED] How to fix my PC Problem: low FPS low CPU low GPU

Mumen_Rider

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
Hi there, just so you know, I do not know a lot about computers, and this might be a long message, but I’ve been stuck with this problem for a while and I tried many things and I still don’t know how to fix it. I stopped playing MMORPG’s a few years ago because my friends stopped playing them. I missed it, so I started playing Black Dessert with my gaming PC I bought in 2013.
Gaming PC form 2013:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits (6.1, build 7601)
64-bits
GeForce GTX 770 Graphics Card | NVIDIA
Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-4670K CPU @3.40 GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
8 GB RAM
DirectX 11
1920 x 1080, 60Hz

Black Dessert is a gorgeous game so I knew it would ask a lot from my gaming PC. If I play on high graphic settings the game will run on 30-45 FPS and not lagging, I know… not great.
When I took a screenshot, these were my specs while playing Black Dessert:
GPU1|72℃ 51%
CPU|47℃ 44%
RAM|6225 MB
D3D11|30 FPS

The problem:
I was also interested in playing The Elder scrolls Online. But when I wanted to play on high graphic settings like I did in Black Dessert, my FPS would drop between 5-10 FPS… not kidding. At first, I thought I had to upgrade my GeForce GTX 770 graphics card because my PC is old. But when I compared my specs from Black Dessert with The Elder Scrolls Online, I noticed that my CPU and GPU were not being used as they should have. I tried putting all the settings within the game on high and low to compare the differences and these are the results:
All settings on high:
GPU1|32℃ 1%
CPU|45℃ 7%
RAM|7032 MB
D3D11|6 FPS

All settings on low:
GPU|32℃ 1%
CPU|47℃ 14%
RAM|6702 MB
D3D11|12 FPS
I might need new parts for my gaming PC, but the requirements show that I should be able to play The Elder Scrolls Online with better specs right...? At least better than 5-15 fps right…?
Minimum requirements The Elder Scrolls Online Elsweyr:
CPU|Intel Core i3 540 or AMD A6-3620
RAM|3 GB
OS|Windows 7 32-bit
Video Card|NVIDIA GeForce 460/AMD RADEON 6850

Recommended requirements The Elder Scrolls Online Elsweyr:
CPU|Intel Core i5 2300 or AMD FX4350
RAM|8 GB
OS|Windows 7 64-bit
Video Card|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 or AMD RADEON 7850
I have the same problem as did with The Elder Scrolls Online with Guild Wars 2, Tera Online and Diablo III. I thought that Black Dessert would be asking much more from my gaming PC than these other games, but I’m not so sure now... Maybe the problem is obvious, and I just needed to buy up to date part for my gaming PC, but as I said, I don’t know much about computers and I can run Black Dessert kind of decent with the part I got now. I hope someone can help me, instruct me what to do and if I needed, advise me what up to date parts I should buy for my gaming PC. I do not want to spend more than €650 for 1 computer part.

Stuff that I have already done:
· Updated Windows 7 to the latest version
· Updated Intel Core i5 4670K | CPU to the latest version
· Updated GeForce GTX 770 Graphics Card | NVIDIA to the latest version
· Updated DirectX 11 to the latest version
· Power option on “High performance”
· NVIDIA Control Panel - Manage 3D-settings - The Elder Scrolls Online - Prefer Maximum Performance
· Optimize and start The Elder Scrolls Online within the NVIDIA GeForce Experience

Solution
At the bare minimum:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.59 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $253.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 12:39 EDT-0400

The 2400g is a multi-threaded quad core(4 cores/8 threads). This is better than the 4670k's 4 cores/4 threads - more available cpu resources.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Your gpu only has 2GBs of Vram. This was fine for higher graphical settings on older games, but for newer games, a card with at least 6GBs of Vram is needed for high/ultra settings.

-Is that one or two sticks of memory?

-Your cpu is only 4 cores. You really can't afford to have too many programs running in the background, as that will impact performance.
Check task manager. No need to have anything other than Windows Processes, the game and it's launcher, and a performance monitoring app(if you choose to do so) should be running in the background.

Reactions: Mumen_Rider

Mumen_Rider

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
-Your gpu only has 2GBs of Vram. This was fine for higher graphical settings on older games, but for newer games, a card with at least 6GBs of Vram is needed for high/ultra settings.

-Is that one or two sticks of memory?

-Your cpu is only 4 cores. You really can't afford to have too many programs running in the background, as that will impact performance.
Check task manager. No need to have anything other than Windows Processes, the game and it's launcher, and a performance monitoring app(if you choose to do so) should be running in the background.

Hi, I want to thank you for your fast respond, I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply as fast as you did.

-I looked it up and you're right, my GPU only has 2 GB of Vram. But I don't understand why I was able to play Black Dessert (release 2014) decently and Guild Wars 2/Tera Online/Diablo III (release 2011/2012) with unbearable FPS, even with all settings on low. I guess the only way to fix it is to buy a new GPU? I started searching for up to date GPU's and I thought of buying: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WindForce 2X 8G. Do you think this GPU will be good for a few years or do you recommend another GPU?

-I got "Channel # Single, Size 8 GBytes" so one memory stick of 8 GB of RAM. Do you recommend another memory stick of 8GB to get 16 GB of RAM or do you recommend something else?

-Do you recommend buying a new CPU because it is only 4 cores or do you think the problem will be solved with checking task manager and buying an up to date GPU like the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WindForce 2X 8G?

Thank you for helping me! :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-I looked it up and you're right, my GPU only has 2 GB of Vram. But I don't understand why I was able to play Black Dessert (release 2014) decently and Guild Wars 2/Tera Online/Diablo III (release 2011/2012) with unbearable FPS, even with all settings on low. I guess the only way to fix it is to buy a new GPU? I started searching for up to date GPU's and I thought of buying: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WindForce 2X 8G. Do you think this GPU will be good for a few years or do you recommend another GPU?
No 2 games are made the same. It's up to the programmers to optimize the game code to allocate resources effectively.
RTX 2070 is a tad overkill for just a 1080p 60hz monitor - you'd be forced to enable V-sync, or experience frequent screen tearing. RX 590 or GTX 1660/Ti would be enough for that screen... RTX 2060/Super if you want to play around with ray tracing.
But the feature is currently a gimmick, and runs like crap on anything weaker than an RTX 2080/Super.

-I got "Channel # Single, Size 8 GBytes" so one memory stick of 8 GB of RAM. Do you recommend another memory stick of 8GB to get 16 GB of RAM or do you recommend something else?
Yes.
Single channel is not ideal for gaming oriented builds. You're not getting the most out of the cpu in single channel mode.
Now, whether you want to play the mixed memory lottery...
-Ram is only guaranteed to work as sold.
-Even 2 separate kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - this is simply the combination with the highest compatibility rate.
-When mixing ram, the symptoms(freezing/crashing, stuttering, BSODs) do not always show up right away.

-Do you recommend buying a new CPU because it is only 4 cores or do you think the problem will be solved with checking task manager and buying an up to date GPU like the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WindForce 2X 8G?
You're already seeing it firsthand; the limits of a 4 core cpu in the games you're playing.

Mumen_Rider

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
No 2 games are made the same. It's up to the programmers to optimize the game code to allocate resources effectively.
RTX 2070 is a tad overkill for just a 1080p 60hz monitor - you'd be forced to enable V-sync, or experience frequent screen tearing. RX 590 or GTX 1660/Ti would be enough for that screen... RTX 2060/Super if you want to play around with ray tracing.
But the feature is currently a gimmick, and runs like crap on anything weaker than an RTX 2080/Super.

Yes.
Single channel is not ideal for gaming oriented builds. You're not getting the most out of the cpu in single channel mode.
Now, whether you want to play the mixed memory lottery...
-Ram is only guaranteed to work as sold.
-Even 2 separate kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - this is simply the combination with the highest compatibility rate.
-When mixing ram, the symptoms(freezing/crashing, stuttering, BSODs) do not always show up right away.

You're already seeing it firsthand; the limits of a 4 core cpu in the games you're playing.

-I heard about bad optimized MMORPG's, so that might me an additional problem. I don't know how trustworthy benchmarks are, but my situation got me more confused when the tomshardware's The Elder Scrolls Online benchmark showed me that I should be able to get a minimum of 54.0 FPS with a GeForce GTX 650 and I got a GeForce GTX 770... Do you know something about this? Am I not looking right? Here is the link I found while searching for my problem: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/the-elder-scrolls-online-performance,review-32922-5.html .

-Do you think it's better to replace my Single Channel 1 x 8 GB of RAM with a 4 x 4 GB of RAM because even 2 separate kits of the same brand and specs can still fail?

-Do you think my situation could be fixed if I purchase a RX 590 or GTX 1660/Ti GPU and replace my RAM with a 4 x 4 RAM?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-I heard about bad optimized MMORPG's, so that might me an additional problem. I don't know how trustworthy benchmarks are, but my situation got me more confused when the tomshardware's The Elder Scrolls Online benchmark showed me that I should be able to get a minimum of 54.0 FPS with a GeForce GTX 650 and I got a GeForce GTX 770... Do you know something about this? Am I not looking right? Here is the link I found while searching for my problem: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/the-elder-scrolls-online-performance,review-32922-5.html .
You do realize that's from 5 years ago, right? How many expansions has the game been through since then? [I don't know, I've never played ESO.]
With each new Xpac, the game's requirements change; usually requiring a little more horsepower than the last one.
Then there's the graphics drivers from today and 5 years ago + any tweaks Bethesda may have made to the game engine(if any)...

-Do you think it's better to replace my Single Channel 1 x 8 GB of RAM with a 4 x 4 GB of RAM because even 2 separate kits of the same brand and specs can still fail?
With the games you want to play, you should be looking at a platform(cpu/motherboard/ram) change, which your current DDR3 memory won't be compatible with.

Either way, a 4x 4GB kit costs more. Not really necessary for 16GB. A 2x 8GB kit would be cheaper.

-Do you think my situation could be fixed if I purchase a RX 590 or GTX 1660/Ti GPU and replace my RAM with a 4 x 4 RAM?
No, because of the 4 core cpu limitation.

Mumen_Rider

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
You do realize that's from 5 years ago, right? How many expansions has the game been through since then? [I don't know, I've never played ESO.]
With each new Xpac, the game's requirements change; usually requiring a little more horsepower than the last one.
Then there's the graphics drivers from today and 5 years ago + any tweaks Bethesda may have made to the game engine(if any)...

With the games you want to play, you should be looking at a platform(cpu/motherboard/ram) change, which your current DDR3 memory won't be compatible with.

Either way, a 4x 4GB kit costs more. Not really necessary for 16GB. A 2x 8GB kit would be cheaper.

No, because of the 4 core cpu limitation.

So it's actually the worst case scenario haha... What should have been obvious with a gaming pc from 2013. What kind of (cpu/motherboard/ram) do you recommend for these games?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
At the bare minimum:
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)

The 2400g is a multi-threaded quad core(4 cores/8 threads). This is better than the 4670k's 4 cores/4 threads - more available cpu resources.

Solution

Mumen_Rider

Prominent
Sep 13, 2019
At the bare minimum:
PCPartPicker Part List

Thank you very much for taking your time to help me. You have been a great help. I'll follow your advice and purchase the platform (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/GPU) that you recommended, it is not even that expensive. I hope I wasn't too much of a pain the the ass because I don't know much about computes, but I learned from this haha :D

Reactions: Phaaze88