[SOLVED] How to fix system wide micro stuttering ?

Feb 1, 2021
Hi, I'm currently using a custom built pc that i built just under a year ago (system specifications at bottom) i recently got my motherboard repaired by gigabyte due to a bios problem, it has now been two days since i have rebuilt the system. Yesterday i noticed that my audio seemed to be cutting out whilst i was listening to music, so i curiously had a look around to see what the issue was, at first i thought my wireless headset had broken however it worked absolutely perfectly on two other devices. I then uninstalled my audio drivers and my Peace equaliser that i use to change my sound to how i desire. However in doing this it had no effect. I then uninstalled Icue which is a corsair interface that controls my headset and other several corsair products, i did this hopping that the headset driver would be removed. After the uninstall i restarted my pc and tried to listen to music to see if these stutters where still there, which they were. I then noticed whilst gaming that it was not just the audio that was stuttering but the whole system as i experienced loads of completely random micro stutters my estimate about 10 - 2000 milliseconds at its worst these would happen at entirely random intervals with no clear cause even at idle, sometimes it would go for about 15 minuets without one occurring however the problem is still present eventually.

Since the realization that it was a system wide stutter i have been trying to troubleshoot the problem, i have tried installing new chipset drivers, new and older audio drivers however i am now almost certain that it is not an audio problem. My temperatures are absolutely fine cpu sitting around 30 - 35 degrees idle and 54 during gaming the GPU is also nice and cool not even turning on its fans. i am now completely out of ideas so i have turned to the Tom'shardware community to hope someone can help me as i believe it is software based not hardware based which i do not have a lot of knowledge in. :)

Thanks

Archie

Specification:
CPU: Amd ryzen 3 3200g
Ram: 2 x 8gb 3200mhz corsair vengeance rgb pro + 2 x 0 0mhz corsair vengance rgb pro lighting enhancement kit (dummy ram)
GPU: Nvidia geforce gtx 1050ti (gigabyte)
SSD: Nvme corsair mp510 240gb
Mobo: gigabyte b450m gigabyte b450m ds3h (bios f60)
PSU: corsair cx 550
Case: corsair 200t airflow (3 fans so plenty of cooling)
OS: Win 10 64bit Version 20h2 os build 19042.746 (legitimately activated)
Please feel free to request any other info

Solution
Try removing the dummy ram.

Stuttering is usually caused by low cpu performance.
Ryzen does not like slow ram.
If you can get the ram to run at 3200 like it did before, you will perform better.
Feb 1, 2021
Thanks for such a quick reply, you see this is the odd thing, when the board went in to repair the BIOS chip they updated it to the latest f60 version, do you think it would be worth updating to a previous version?

Feb 1, 2021
Thanks for such a quick reply, that's the odd thing whilst the board was in for the bios chip repair they updated the bios to the latest version (f60). Do you think it is worth downgrading to a previous version to ensure stability?

I'd first try a running slightly lower XMP profile RAM speed, say, 2666 MHz, etc., just to see if there are any changes...

Latest AGESA/AMD chipset driver?

All Windows updates downloaded/applied?

How much free space is on your 240 GB SSD? (most prefer to keep at least 25% of it as free space)

What are your clock speeds (as monitored in HWMonitor) under a full all-core load (as induced by CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU)? Any signs of overheat/throttling?

Feb 1, 2021
Thanks for the help, as the bios was repaired the bios was reset so xmp would be disabled im prety sure its sitting around 2400 and something mhz so I don't think it's the ram.

I updated my chipset drivers relatively soon to the discovery of the problem which unfortunately had no effect.

The sole purpose of my ssd was to put windows and a 5gb game on it as I already have 1.5 tb of hardrives, so I belive there is way over 100gb free.

I also tried monitoring cpu temps whilst gaming and whilst stressing however I did not exceed 60 degrees.

It would be great to see if you have any advice

What prompted you to skip F52, F51, F50, F41?

Uninstall any corsair software (RGB) and/or gigabyte software (mobo). Doesn't have to stay in this final form, this is just a step to eliminate variables. You can either test after removing each piece of non-essential software, or remove them all, then test as you add each back in. The idea being to only add/subtract 1 variable at a time to pinpoint the culprit.

Last edited: