[SOLVED] How to install a 2.5-inch Crucial MX500 as a second SSD ?

Aug 29, 2021
Hello, hello! I come with another dumb question on this forum (I’m sorry, I am not experienced with PCs):

I’ve recently purchased a 1TB Crucial MX500 2.5 ssd and I am planning on installing it as a storage to replace an HDD which died on me extremely quickly, so I thought an SSD would be a better option.

Now, I already have my Windows installed on a M.2 500 gb ssd and I don’t want this second SSD to interfere with the windows, I just want it to be extra storage for programs and such.
How do I initialize it as that? Or install it as just that? I know how to mount it, no biggie, inside the case, but I am unsure about installing it in the PC as a storage.

(I’m asking because the manual explains of cloning when installed on a laptop and not a PC and I am very confused)
THANK YOU!!

Solution
Hello, hello! I come with another dumb question on this forum (I’m sorry, I am not experienced with PCs):

I’ve recently purchased a 1TB Crucial MX500 2.5 ssd and I am planning on installing it as a storage to replace an HDD which died on me extremely quickly, so I thought an SSD would be a better option.

Now, I already have my Windows installed on a M.2 500 gb ssd and I don’t want this second SSD to interfere with the windows, I just want it to be extra storage for programs and such.
How do I initialize it as that? Or install it as just that? I know how to mount it, no biggie, inside the case, but I am unsure about installing it in the PC as a storage.

(I’m asking because the manual explains of cloning when installed on a laptop...

(I’m asking because the manual explains of cloning when installed on a laptop and not a PC and I am very confused)
THANK YOU!!
you could just install it as usual and format the drive, since any drive not related to the windows will not interfere with the new drive.

Solution

THANK YOU!!
You might want to read the manual for your mobo.
Sometimes when a m.2 is installed a sata port is disabled.

Aug 29, 2021
You might want to read the manual for your mobo.
Sometimes when a m.2 is installed a sata port is disabled.
Ok, so I think I found what you are talking about. It gives me this table:

m2a_sb (in this slot I have installed the kingston 500gb ssd)

type of m 2 ssd/connector
M.2 SATA SSD - SATA3 0 (✔️) SATA3 1 (✖️) SATA 3 2 (✔️) SATA3 3 (✔️) SATA3 4 (✔️) SATA3 5 (✔️)

M.2 PCIe SSD - has all of them checked

M.2 PCIe SSD Installed - has all of them checked also.

what I understand from this is that I can install the Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD, right?

Ok, so I think I found what you are talking about. It gives me this table:

m2a_sb (in this slot I have installed the kingston 500gb ssd)

type of m 2 ssd/connector
M.2 SATA SSD - SATA3 0 (✔) SATA3 1 (✖) SATA 3 2 (✔) SATA3 3 (✔) SATA3 4 (✔) SATA3 5 (✔)

M.2 PCIe SSD - has all of them checked

M.2 PCIe SSD Installed - has all of them checked also.

what I understand from this is that I can install the Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD, right?
Do not connect the mx500 to sata3 #1.

Aug 29, 2021
Do not connect the mx500 to sata3 #1.
Alright alright, got it… Now I am even more confused, I am so sorry for nagging further. So where should I connect it then? It says about the ssd that it is a SATA III. And I have verified if it is compatible with my mobo (GIGABYTE B560M DS3H) and it is…

Alright alright, got it… Now I am even more confused, I am so sorry for nagging further. So where should I connect it then? It says about the ssd that it is a SATA III. And I have verified if it is compatible with my mobo (GIGABYTE B560M DS3H) and it is…
Try sata3 #0 if that does not work try some other sata port on the mobo.
You won't hurt anything if you connect to a disabled sata port it just won't work.

Aug 29, 2021
Now I understand! (Sort of)
My final question: is there a possibility for the mx500 to not work at all in either port? (Excluding the 3 1 port you’ve told me about)

TRENDING THREADS