How to make my hard drive whole again after deleted dual boot partition?

spangar

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2016
I was dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 11. I deleted my Ubuntu partition as I no longer have a need for it and when I did so I have 250 gb of unallocated space on my drive now. I have tried to extend the other partition of the drive but it says there is not enough space. I formatted the windows side of the drive and that didn't solve anything either. I then tried to make the unallocated part of the drive a separate windows partition to then merge, but it still says there isn't enough space. I even tried it as low as 10 mb. I don't even know how to google this question because all the results are about merging two physically separate drives instead of one drive with separate partitions.

USAFRet

Titan
I was dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 11. I deleted my Ubuntu partition as I no longer have a need for it and when I did so I have 250 gb of unallocated space on my drive now. I have tried to extend the other partition of the drive but it says there is not enough space. I formatted the windows side of the drive and that didn't solve anything either. I then tried to make the unallocated part of the drive a separate windows partition to then merge, but it still says there isn't enough space. I even tried it as low as 10 mb. I don't even know how to google this question because all the results are about merging two physically separate drives instead of one drive with separate partitions.
Please show us a screencap of the current Disk Management window

spangar

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2016
Please show us a screencap of the current Disk Management window
s3VcwZA.png

sorry should have included that.
I'm trying to make disk 1 just one entire disk again

spangar

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2016
Power off, and physically disconnect this drive.
Does the system boot up without it?

If so, reconnect, and DELETE ALL existing partitions on Disk 1, leaving one blank space.
New Simple Volume, Format, give it a drive letter.
Ahhh I’m an idiot. Thank you. Yeah windows is on my other drive.

I was frustrated and was just stuck on merging them. Didn’t think about this. Should have stepped aside until tomorrow. Thanks again.

USAFRet

Titan
Ahhh I’m an idiot. Thank you. Yeah windows is on my other drive.

I was frustrated and was just stuck on merging them. Didn’t think about this. Should have stepped aside until tomorrow. Thanks again.
Yes, Windows is on the other drive.

I asked for the disconnect test, due to the small EFI partition on Disk 1.

It almost certainly is NOT the little boot partition needed, but testing and verification is always best.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

spangar

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2016
Yes, Windows is on the other drive.

I asked for the disconnect test, due to the small EFI partition on Disk 1.

It almost certainly is NOT the little boot partition needed, but testing and verification is always best.
Disconnect passed and when I did what you suggested I couldn't delete the EFI partition and was still running into the same problem. I wanted to just add my solution for others in the future if needed.

I opened 'diskpart' cmd
-list disk
-sel disk #
-clean

After this I was able to initialize disk and create a new volume taking up the entire drive.

Thank you for your help, I had to approach this with a non frustrated mindset the following day but I do appreciate your responses.

USAFRet

Titan
Disconnect passed and when I did what you suggested I couldn't delete the EFI partition and was still running into the same problem. I wanted to just add my solution for others in the future if needed.

I opened 'diskpart' cmd
-list disk
-sel disk #
-clean

After this I was able to initialize disk and create a new volume taking up the entire drive.

Thank you for your help, I had to approach this with a non frustrated mindset the following day but I do appreciate your responses.
Yes.

When all else fails, clean works...;)