[SOLVED] How to maximize bandwidth for Remote Desktop and Streaming ?

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Connection often lags/drops or is lost while doing Remote Desktop or video streaming.
It happened using old router with 100mbps port.
Bought gigabit ports router but the problem still exist.

It has no problem while using another PC with cable connection.
I thought by using a gigabit-ported router and 300mbps WiFi would eliminate the problem but the truth is it still exists.
What causing all of this?

PC:
i3 10100
8gb ram
Asus Prime h410m-e

Network:
TP-Link tl-wr1043nd (300mbps wireless N all gigabit-ports)
PC connected to TP-Link using cable (speed detected: 1.0 Gbps)
Phone/tablet connected using TP-Link WiFi in another room.
Signal power received around 80-100%.

WiFi settings:
Channel: auto, Mode: 11bgn mixed, Channel width: automatic, Max tx rate: 300mbps.
(tried Mode to 11n only, problem still exists)

Ethernet speed monitored using Task Manager in Remote Desktop is around 1.7 to 2.4mbps (any devices)
WiFi speed monitored by tablet while streaming is less than 1024kbps (edit: it's 1024KB/s)

Phone: Pixel 4a, iPhone SE 2020
Tab: Alldocube iPlay 10pro

Phone and tablet App:
RD Client (Android and iOS)
VLC (for streaming)

Last edited:
Solution
I assume you trying to stream between devices inside the house and not using some remote connection over the internet ? That would just make it more complex.

Even if you updated to gigabit router the router you are using is old if it only support 802.11n. Most new routers are either 802.11ac or 802.11ax (which they now call wifi 6). There is even a newer form of 802.11ax that runs on 6g radio called wifi6e.

It should though work on the older equipment since it does not appear you are transferring a lot of data.

The huge problem with wifi in general is it is half duplex. This means only 1 device can transmit at the same time. In your case you have 3. You have the device your are streaming from, the router and...
I assume you trying to stream between devices inside the house and not using some remote connection over the internet ? That would just make it more complex.

Even if you updated to gigabit router the router you are using is old if it only support 802.11n. Most new routers are either 802.11ac or 802.11ax (which they now call wifi 6). There is even a newer form of 802.11ax that runs on 6g radio called wifi6e.

It should though work on the older equipment since it does not appear you are transferring a lot of data.

The huge problem with wifi in general is it is half duplex. This means only 1 device can transmit at the same time. In your case you have 3. You have the device your are streaming from, the router and the device you are watch the stream on. The device are really stupid they will listen to see if someone else is transmitting and if they hear nothing they will assume it clear to transmit. In many cases the end device can hear the router but they can not hear each others transmissions. This can cause both to attempt to transmit at the same time and when the data gets to the router the signals overlap and are damaged.

To some extent a faster wifi protocol will help because they take less time transmitting data so the overlap chance is less. The problem might be less but will never go away completely until wifi is designed to not be half duplex.

Not sure what to suggest. Would be better if you could get the device that transmits the data to be connected via ethernet.

Reactions: N3wb13g
Solution

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Definitely. I thought by localizing the network would shorten the track of the data transferred in between.

I would try different setting as buying new router would cost me much more here.

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Not sure what to suggest. Would be better if you could get the device that transmits the data to be connected via ethernet.
I'm thankful for your explanation about the connection. I tried different scenarios today, just to be sure.

While streaming with VLC, I only use Task Manager monitor for Ethernet Send and Receive Activities:
  • Using Pixel 4a: around 12-20Mbps. (no lag)
  • iPhone SE2: around 16Mbps. (no lag)
  • Alldocube tab: less than 5Mbps. (buffering more than playing)

I tried different tab (Aquos Pad) and it does better (monitored around 9-14Mbps on Task Manager). But this older device is not up to the job.

Conclusion:

Turn out that the Alldocube tablet is the problem itself for streaming. I don't know whether it's really equipped with 802.11a/b/g/n or not, I doubt it. Seems like it's better to avoid cheap tablet on market.

Streaming case is solved. Problem for Remote Desktop still exist like, lags, delayed sounds, and sudden disconnect.
Any suggestion for more stable connection would be good. Thanks.