Question How to migrate from old pc to new pc

leyo96

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
Hello,

I started the journey of building my first pc two weeks ago, with the help of this community (thank you really much) I decided the road to take, what hardware to buy, how to approach this build. As the day passed and more parts were getting at my house I knew it was time to address my biggest fear, so I'm here once again, writing a post to ask for your help.

HOW THE HECK DO YOU MIGRATE FROM ONE PC TO A NEW ONE?

I want to transfer all my programs, all my propgrams settings, all my windows settings and of course all my data but that's the easiest part.

Is there anything like there is Timemachine on mac?

I'd want even my desktop icons to be in the same order, my start menu, everything.

I have an external Hard drive to use.

Help me please and thank you!!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Are you currently working with Windows 10? What were you working on prior? You will need to manually back up all critical(personal) content from your previous installation of Windows 10 onto the current installation. With Windows 10, if you're logged in to your account, the OS will download all apps and settings you were previously on.

leyo96

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
Are you currently working with Windows 10? What were you working on prior? You will need to manually back up all critical(personal) content from your previous installation of Windows 10 onto the current installation. With Windows 10, if you're logged in to your account, the OS will download all apps and settings you were previously on.
I have windows 10 on my old laptop and will have 10 on the new one. I'd like to have an exact copy of how my pc is now without the software of the laptop (like msi dragon center)

When moving from one system to another, you need to reinstall applications, you can't just copy them. With data you have a couple of options. First you can copy and paste from the old system to your external hard drive, and then copy them to the new system. Or you can do a full system backup with something like Macrium Reflect, putting the backup on the external hard drive. Then you can install the backup program on the new system, and selectively restore the data to the new system (from the backup you made).