[SOLVED] How to properly connect MOCA into whole home coax wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2019
See most recent updated version of diagram, Version 11, farther below in 1/11/2020 entry.

I have seen so many variations and contradictions on how to do MOCA networking I am getting headaches. I am reasonably tech savvy, getting older but still have most of my faculties. Every time I think I have it, I see something else that seems to contradict it.

Now to the point. I am Getting prepared to cut the cord and I see MOCA as the only reasonable solution to wire the whole house with a stable wired network using mostly existing coax. I will run some new additional coax runs from attic to office as that is the only location I can reasonably run any new wiring to. I know I could go Wireless but I'd have to use MOCA anyway just to get wireless routers in position for decent signal distribution.

In Version 5 of my network layout, I perceive I need to build a wired network as follows:
  • High Speed Internet input on POE coax in (from grounded block)=>POE Filter=> FIRST Two way coax splitter=>
  • Leg one of first split==> Docsis 3.1 modem==>to Wired Router==> ethernet to switch and various peripherals including one port connected to an ethernet cable feed from a MOCA Adapter I'll label Moca #1. One port of router will also receive input from an OTA DVR.
- Leg two off the first split==> to the Coax Input of MOCA #1==> Ethernet out to MOCA #1 as described above==> Coax out to my attic 3 way coax splitter in attic.
- Splitter in Attic feeds out to three lines with additional splits to the various SmartTV/Roku/TV in the rest of the house.

Any feed back on this would be appreciated.
As I've been thinking through this again; It might make sense to simply run one ethernet cable from my office router to the attic (in place of additional coax) and place Moca Adapter #1 in Attic feeding the Attic 3way. This would allow me to eliminate the first splitter described above. I guess this might become Version 6.

I will attach my diagram if I can figure out how to do it.

Last edited:
Solution
Router->ethernet cable->MOCA 1->house coax->MOCA #2->ethernet cable->PC.

MOCA #1 injects the signal into the house coax. MOCA #2, 3, 4 pulls it out, and back into an ethernet signal.
Aug 23, 2019
Am I correct that the Moca signal will carry through the Moca ready splitters?
I think I have figured out how to add diagram - here it is.
SEE REVISION #6 IN FOLLOW-ON Reply BELOW
mpEMBB2.jpg

Last edited:
The only addition is if you do not have cable tv I do not think you need the connection between the internet cable and the moca IN. Its been a long time since I had moca and cable tv so I forget exactly what the input port does but not using it should isolate you moca network from other sources of interference.

Reactions: bobt1
Aug 23, 2019
Thanks to bill001g comment leading me to eliminate the first splitter and the COAX IN line to the first Moca Adapter.

The MOCA IN to the router is to inject the signals (to use USAFRet's phrase) from both the OTA and the high speed internet being supplied by cable company into the coax infrastructure. NO TV or phone, just the internet for streaming services. By eliminating the first splitter I can also do away with the Coax In line to the first MOCA adapter.

I will be utilizing an Antenna, OTA DVR, Roku devices and probably HuluLive & PhiloTV streaming services Which pretty much gives us everything we were getting from the full blown cable services at less than half the monthly cost. Of course I have to pay for the HW investment up front but I should break even in about 8-9 months.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019
Now That I have had my installation running for awhile, I have had to admit I got a bit too aggressive on my cutting of the cord effort. Just this week, I have gone to Spectrum for their Internet/voice offering including their internet/voice gateway.

I had bit off a bit more to chew than my skills would support, by buying a router and a voip ATA that were both somewhat complicated and definitely NOT plug'n'play. The Voip service never really delivered adequately and I could not reconcile the finger pointing (over the last 3 months) between the ISP, the VOIP provider, the ATA hw and even the modem manufacturer to get a satisfactory implementation of my VOIP service. I'll try to recoup some of my losses selling the replaced HW on Ebay.

Having said that, here is now the updated hw configuration diagram showing the Moca installation with all elements now functioning correctly.

G3YjJAU.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.