Status
Not open for further replies.

deeksterjay

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Here are some details:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
MoBo: MSI B450M Mortar Max

When checking for chipset drivers for B450 on AMD's website I get the following as the latest version (2.04.04.111):

Chipset Driver

But I get an error when unzipping it so that I can run it.

Error 1 Error 2

I'm not sure whether I already have this driver installed since it does not show up anywhere wherever I check (Adrenaline, DXDiag, Device Manager, MSI Dragon Center). I've already made sure I have updated everything via AMD Adrenaline and MSI Dragon Center.

AMD Adrenaline CPUZ Device Manager 1 Device Manager 2 DxDiag 1 DxDiag 2 MSI Dragon Center

Not sure how to proceed. I just want to make sure I have all the latest updates installed. Sorry if I have to link out to imgur for the images since I get an error when uploading the screenshots.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

But I get an error when unzipping it so that I can run it.

Error 1 Error 2
Explorer can open zip files the same as any folder, so find the file in Windows Explorer and double click it. Then drag the install file to your desktop to execute it.

If it still doesn't work then your download was probably corrupted. Delete both the install file and the zip file and go back to the AMD support web site to download it again, open with Explorer again and drag it to your desktop before running it again.

deeksterjay

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Explorer can open zip files the same as any folder, so find the file in Windows Explorer and double click it. Then drag the install file to your desktop to execute it.

If it still doesn't work then your download was probably corrupted. Delete both the install file and the zip file and go back to the AMD support web site to download it again, open with Explorer again and drag it to your desktop before running it again.

Thanks for responding and looking into it. Yes, I've tried that several times. Deleted it and re-downloaded the file. Tried different browsers as well. Tried moving the file location. Used the Windows Explorer and 7Zip. I get the same error when trying to unzip it. Could it be that it's just a bad file that was uploaded to their servers?

deeksterjay

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Seriously doubt it's a bad archive on their servers...I DL'd, extracted and installed it on my system :)

If you have another computer (laptop for instance?) download and extract it on that one then take the installation file to the one you need to install it on a USB stick.

Unfortunately, I don't have another computer available. Tried:

• incognito mode
  • downloaded on an iOS and Android device using different browsers then uploaded zip file and extracted file (only iOS was able to extract but was only read as "data" which is a smaller file [11MB] compared to the expected 50MB) to Drive
+ downloaded zip file had same error
+ downloaded extracted (data) file was not read by Windows installer
+ used Drive plugins to extract the file zip file > encountered an error when they unzipped the file

Running out of options. Maybe a DL link of the unzipped file? 😬

deeksterjay

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Hi all, thanks again for responding and for your suggestions. I forgot to mention that I can zip and unzip other zipped/compressed files without any issues on my PC. It's just this one from the AMD site that I've been having issues with. So, a Windows re-install seems a bit extreme. I read around as well that getting the chipset drivers from AMD is better than getting it from the MoBo manufacturer (MSI in this case). Though upon checking, it looks like MSI has a newer chipset driver release (4/16 vs 4/7). So, is that accurate? What is the difference if there is any? And why isn't MSI's Dragon Center not pulling the update when I check for it?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unless it is a discrete add on, expansion card (graphic card, network card, sound card, etc...), always go to the manufacturer's page. If the manufacturer does not provide a necessary update, then you go to the alternate site.

The manufacturer may have made tweaks to the motherboard that only their drivers know to accurately resolve. This is why you use them. This is especially true about laptop drivers.

As for why MSI Dragon Center didn't pick it up, I can't say, but then, even though I'm also running an MSI motherboard, I'm not running dragon. I don't like things that try to think for me.

-Wolf sends

deeksterjay

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
I downloaded and installed the chipset drivers from the MSI site and it installed an older version of Adrenaline as well as an older graphics driver. I ended up re-installing the newer Adrenaline version which detected that a newer graphics driver is available. Installed that one as well.

Is it safe to say that the ones on the AMD site is always newer and is a better route to take (even though the release date on the MSI site shows it as newer)?

Does the Adrenaline software also download and install the latest chipset driver during the process? Or is the chipset driver an entirely separate download and install in itself (as mentioned in my first post, I can't find any indicator that I have the latest chipset driver)?

Sep 16, 2020
I downloaded and installed the chipset drivers from the MSI site and it installed an older version of Adrenaline as well as an older graphics driver. I ended up re-installing the newer Adrenaline version which detected that a newer graphics driver is available. Installed that one as well.

Is it safe to say that the ones on the AMD site is always newer and is a better route to take (even though the release date on the MSI site shows it as newer)?

Does the Adrenaline software also download and install the latest chipset driver during the process? Or is the chipset driver an entirely separate download and install in itself (as mentioned in my first post, I can't find any indicator that I have the latest chipset driver)?
Chipset drivers are not included in the adrenaline update. You really have to download it separately. Some recommends just sticking with the auto Windows Chipset update. I'm still undecided if ill stick with the windows update or install the latest chipset driver. P.S if you still have problems extracting the files try WINRAR

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ie7ywJG.jpg

This thread is five months old. Hopefully, the OP has long since resolved the issue. No posts since.

Closing.
Wolfshadw

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Status
Not open for further replies.