[SOLVED] How to use 3.5mm Audio Input while using Display Port

Michael Hagood

Honorable
May 30, 2015
So I have an ASUS VG248QE I've had going for 7 years now. I like to use the built-in speakers for music when away from my PC. I run it through a 3.5mm splitter to get audio to both monitors. However, when I switched to using Display Port from DVI since I upgraded my PC I lost audio from the 3.5mm jack. I tried using the DVI and I get the 3.5mm jack to work again.

Is there a way to get the monitor to use the 3.5mm input while also using DP? It seems to auto-switch depending on if I use DVI or DP but I'd like to force it to just use the 3.5mm input.

Last edited:
Solution
That's what i thought but wasn't sure if the monitor was forcing you to use DP audio. I looked through the manual the other day and it seems the audio input jack should work at all times. See what you get from the manual.

If there's no option in the monitor itself (none in manual that i can see), then ya kinda stuck aren't ya.

Michael Hagood

Honorable
May 30, 2015
Yup, I am aware DP carries audio, the problem is I don't want to use the DP audio signal as it isn't synced with the 3.5mm signal that feeds the other monitor. I want to use DP just for video while forcing the monitor to use the 3.5mm for audio.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can you change it in audio playback devices in Windows? To Realtek? Windows can only play one audio source at a time, so if you can hear DP audio then it's the wrong source selected.

Im not sure how you managed both if you're having sync issues, can you explain how you're doing this?

Michael Hagood

Honorable
May 30, 2015
Using windows stereo mix. Selecting one audio device as default, then using stereo mix to listen to that playback device and selecting playback through the second device. But due to the encoding on the GPU for the digital audio through the display port, there's a slight delay and they don't sync.

Maybe I'm not explaining what I'm trying to do very well. I have 3 playback devices, hifi headphones on a sound card which I use primarily. A mini soundbar on my secondary monitor, and built-in speakers on my main monitor. I use the motherboard 3.5 to split the signal to both monitors. When using DVI, since it doesn't carry audio, both monitors get audio and it's synced since it's split from the same 3.5mm. However, for features like free-sync, I need to use a display port cable for the higher bandwidth over DVI. When I run the primary monitor on Display Port it automatically stops using the 3.5mm for audio and will only use audio sent from Display Port (when I select it as a playback device of course). So this is something the monitor is automatically doing, it stops using the 3.5mm for audio when it's input is set to DP. I'm looking for a way to force it to use 3.5mm for audio while still using DP for the benefits I already mentioned.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That's what i thought but wasn't sure if the monitor was forcing you to use DP audio. I looked through the manual the other day and it seems the audio input jack should work at all times. See what you get from the manual.

If there's no option in the monitor itself (none in manual that i can see), then ya kinda stuck aren't ya.

Solution