[SOLVED] How to use Gsync properly

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014
So before you start reading, i know there is a LOT of thread about how to use Gsync, but honestly, i really cant understand much and none really answer my questions.

1st. I know its said that you should use Gsync with Vsync on (in the Nvdia 3D pannel) but when i use that and i go in games where i get FPS that are above my monitors refresh rate, i still get tearing (even when cappong my fps at 144), i really need to use the IN GAME Vsync to stop the tearing. So is there a reason why or am i doing aomething wrong ? Because i feel like using the in game Vsync actually doesnt allow Gsync to work so input lag ...

2nd. Should i Cap my FPS at 144 or let the Vsync cap it at 144 (i really want Gsync to work and not Vsync to always be on because i have too much FPS)

3rd. Should i use Gsync on full screen or windowed

4th. In the harder game where i do not get 144fps, should i disable Vsync, is it gonna lower my fps to like half ??

Build
CPU : I9-9900k
GPU : 2080 Ti
Ram : 32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
Display : Asus PG278QR

Its not like i have a low end PC ...so

Thanks a lot, i know its many questions, but nvdia doesnt have any guide on how to use Gsync ...

Solution
Gsync/Freesync both have a range, typically from around 30Hz to the maximum refresh rate. Within this range are variable frames. Variable sync is more technical than that, there's still some timings involved and i don't know the full story. All i know and experience with my own Gsync monitor is i don't get tearing or input lag regardless if i have vsync on or off in games that don't go below or exceed the min/max refresh rate at 1440p which is most games with the exception of older games. L4d for example, when vsync on, it limits fps to 143. Without vsync, fps is higher. There's a bit of tear but hard to notice with high refresh + fps.

If you're not playing a game requiring the latest driver, try the driver im on.

Edit; Is it all good...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Vsync helps keep fps within Gsync range and using ingame vsync shouldn't give you input lag, that's odd. I have a Gsync monitor as well and have vsync in NvidiaCP on application control. In games where i can reach 144fps, it's actually capped at 143, i don't get input lag but i guess every game is different. Try see if input lag vanishes if cap fps to 143.

Im curious as to why tearing/input lag is even happening and wondering, are you using Displayport or Hdmi? Because Gsync requires Displayport to work.

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014
Vsync helps keep fps within Gsync range and using ingame vsync shouldn't give you input lag, that's odd. I have a Gsync monitor as well and have vsync in NvidiaCP on application control. In games where i can reach 144fps, it's actually capped at 143, i don't get input lag but i guess every game is different. Try see if input lag vanishes if cap fps to 143.

Im curious as to why tearing/input lag is even happening and wondering, are you using Displayport or Hdmi? Because Gsync requires Displayport to work.

I am using a display port, buttearing only happens when i disable Vsync in game and enable it on the Nvdia control pannel !

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014
Gsync on in Nvidia control panel. Vsync off in game. Set framerate to monitor refresh rate ie:144hz. Sometimes you may need to set 1 or 2 fps under your screen refresh rate.

I tried doing that, but for example, when i play League of legends (using this games for example because i get a lot of FPS) i will get tearing in game even if i use Vsync in Nvdia control pannel ... and not every game have the option to choose the refresh rate. Most of the time you have a couple of choices like 60/80/100/120/144/165

So im just wondering why tearing is happening if technically i have Vsync on in Nvdia pannel and Gsync on AND im capped at 144 in LoL

boju

Titan
Ambassador

See if enabling helps, suppose to help input lag.

Regarding frame rate limiting, this is done with fps limiter programs like Msi Afterburner or Nvidia Inspector where you can force a certain fps cap rather than change refresh rate.

In NvidiaCP for monitor technology, this is definitely set to Gsync? Not Fixed or ULMB?

How about your game, are you playing in fullscreen or windowed? Can enable Gsync for both in setup Gsync in NvidiaCP.

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014
See if enabling helps, suppose to help input lag.

Regarding frame rate limiting, this is done with fps limiter programs like Msi Afterburner or Nvidia Inspector where you can force a certain fps cap rather than change refresh rate.

In NvidiaCP for monitor technology, this is definitely set to Gsync? Not Fixed or ULMB?

How about your game, are you playing in fullscreen or windowed? Can enable Gsync for both in setup Gsync in NvidiaCP.

I will try enabling and i will give you some feedback tomorrow !

Should i install Nvdia Inspector or MSI afterburner because if it's going to help, i will :p

My Gsync is enabled, its not fixed or ULMB :p

FInally, i play in fullscreen and i enabled Gsync for full screen, because it says ''windowed'' in the other option and i did not know if full screen would work with this option !

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Probably use Msi Afterburner coz you can also set it up to view stats in games, if you wanted to, like those gaming videos you see with all those usage numbers.

Disabling Gamebar afaik thought disabled full screen opt, but not sure on this. If it works then yeah, any game you have problems with. That's if it is this, might not be.

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014
Probably use Msi Afterburner coz you can also set it up to view stats in games like those gaming videos you see with all those usage numbers.

Disabling Gamebar afaik thought disabled full screen opt, but not sure on this. If it works then yeah, any game you have problems with. That's if it is this, might not be.

Ok ill try everything and ill be back with some feedback if you still want to help :p thanks a lot !

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you try limit fps, try lower 1 to 3~4 fps lower.

What's your monitor refresh rate set to? I've been looking around and some have had tearing issues overclocking capable monitors to 165Hz. Since your monitor can as well, thought to ask.

Another possibility is geforce driver, there have been Gsync issues in the past.

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014

What's your monitor refresh rate set to? I've been looking around and some have had tearing issues overclocking capable monitors to 165Hz. Since your monitor can as well, thought to ask.

Another possibility is geforce driver, there have been Gsync issues in the past.

I will try setting my FPS around 142 (my monitor is on 144hz and i won't OC it, most game i play won't reach 165hz on 1440p even with a 2080TI anyway ! and ill keep an eye for Gforce driver !

Reactions: boju

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014

So yeah, ive tried everything and i think i know what i am gonna do now. When i only use Vsync on Nvdia CP i still get tearing, but not when i use Vsync in games settings so i will just use Vsync in games where my FPS are too high and set it to max 142 (ill be honest i am not 100% sure that i have no Input lag, but i feel like i dont haha) and i will disable it in games where i do not go too high ! Thanks for the help :p i wish there was a way to see if u really have Input lag because just by the ''feeling of it'' its hard to tell !

Oh and one last thing, if i enable Gsync for Windowed, will it still work for Fullscreen (Option number 2 in the CP)

Again thanks and have a good one :p

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can ya show us a screenshot of the Gsync options you have for fullscreen/windowed. Because unless Nvidia recently changed it, im on v430.86 and have options for both fullscreen and windowed & fullscreen. Odd if Nvidia did change it. If this is correct, i don't think Gsync would work in fullscreen but can try playing games in windowed and see what happens.

Regarding input lag, not sure how you could test the difference. Perhaps could try lower Hz to 60, turn Gsync off and vsync on.

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014
Can ya show us a screenshot of the Gsync options you have for fullscreen/windowed. Because unless Nvidia recently changed it, im on v430.86 and have options for both fullscreen and windowed & fullscreen. Odd if Nvidia did change it. If this is correct, i don't think Gsync would work in fullscreen but can try playing games in windowed and see what happens.

Regarding input lag, not sure how you could test the difference. Perhaps could try lower Hz to 60, turn Gsync off and vsync on.

Eumm yeah soo my Nvdia CP is in french because i actually speak french, but if i translate it, i basically have 2 choices, Fullscreen OR Windowed Fullscreen

MAN Gsync is so complicated hahahaha if only there was a guide to it ! Because most people are just gonna enable it and think it works, but if i understand it, its not because your game show 142 FPS that you render 142 frame, you can actually render a lot more, so thats why we use Vsync so that our frame render to not exceed that and so we can use Gsync right ? Did i figure this out finally ? Or not hahahaha

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gsync/Freesync both have a range, typically from around 30Hz to the maximum refresh rate. Within this range are variable frames. Variable sync is more technical than that, there's still some timings involved and i don't know the full story. All i know and experience with my own Gsync monitor is i don't get tearing or input lag regardless if i have vsync on or off in games that don't go below or exceed the min/max refresh rate at 1440p which is most games with the exception of older games. L4d for example, when vsync on, it limits fps to 143. Without vsync, fps is higher. There's a bit of tear but hard to notice with high refresh + fps.

Edit; Is it all good now?

Reactions: Senpho
Solution

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014

Edit; Is it all good now?

Eum still not sure if using "Windowrd fullscreen" works with fullscreen only, but its not really a problem, everything else is alright now! Thanks a lot :p